Tripods

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

Hi I did this (see pic) in January this year using my D800 on a 30s exposure. Found it quite affective and although it cost me a few night dives i think it was worth it.

Fascinating, Goose: but was it worth all that effort? Did you enjoy the dive?

I found divers in Truk missing the best subjects (in my opinion, I know) because they were perfecting a photographically challenging shot of something less than iconic of Truk, something intrinsically less interesting or that could be seen at easier (and cheaper) destinations...

Edited by tdpriest, 28 May 2014 - 03:14 AM.

#22 goose

goose

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and not much else.!!

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

Hi tdpriest, 

I thought it was a good idea to try as i am into the long shutter speed thing above water as you know, but does the image have any true value probraly not but in all honestly i was bored with the same old night dive and wanted to try something different and i am pleased with the results of my efforts even on the lighting up of the wreck. I know Alex has put the technique to good use and rightly so because he is the bollocks and won the competition in Germany with his jack shot. 

Im not in it for the what can i win thing I'm not a pro and would not want to be, thats not my bag but is there use for tripods under water i think yes, providing you go down with a plan and stick to it, i did and got the result i wanted out of the idea i thought up and that to me is the important thing i value the most.

Always have a plan. 

Goose

My Kit:- NikonD800 Nikon D90 Nikon Prime 105mm & 60mm macro, Sigma 15mm Nikon 16-35mm Nikon 12-24mm wide angle, Tokina 10-17mm (the tit's of a lens) Nauticam NA-800 Aqutica AD90 housing, coupled with X2 Z240 mofo strobes G.S.E. 360 Ring Flash.

#23 Hollywoodivers

Hollywoodivers

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Video and Stills, Selling Stock Images, Producing Underwater Segments, teaching Scuba and Dive Travel.

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I use an ultralight Tripod Triple clamp. Is has a 1/4 20 bolt coming out of it and I have mounted both a camera housing or slave strobe to a clamp to it.
on ulcs.com

AC-TRI - Tripod clamp, has cut outs in the bottom piece to allow for arms to be 
used as legs of the tripod so the tripod can be laid completely flat
See tripod on what's new page

it is multi purpose and will work with ball mount arms that you probobly already own

Get off the couch ! Enjoy life ! www.hollywooddivers.com
323 969 9666  :cake:

#24 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I used a Gates tripod for the time-lapse and static shots in this film. Big problem was stopping the rig sinking into the incredibly soft sediment of the lake.

https://vimeo.com/69592467

I've since started to use the base plate attached to a Nauticam 5D3 for static shots in Mangroves with some success.

Richard

Edited by RWBrooks, 30 June 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)