5 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi,
which LEDs do you recommend for a GH3 - video and foto? I have Sola 2000 but intend to have more Lumen? Fisheye 3500? but I hear they are very blueish?

#2 SMY

SMY

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

the more I read, the more I see two options Sola 4000 or Keldan 4000...what do you think?

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

SMY,

we did several tries for Video using a Canon HD videocam and my D7000 and D8000.

I have 2 Mangrove 4000 lumen video lights, my cameraman 2 Fa e Mi 35W HID and newly 2 Hartenberger 35W HID.

Conclusions:
Mangrove 4320 Lumen

nice color 100° wide and even beam, in the 120+ ft viz in Sardinia they dont penetrate more than approx 3 ft under daylight conditions 

FA e MI 30 and 60W HID

Very narrow beam with reddish color, penetrate well but leave ugly hot spots due their narrow beam, very expensive special bulbs

Hartenberger
nice approx 120° beam with sharp fall-off, bluish color, excellent quality, neutral buoyant

I have several LED torches and my experience tell me that for a minimum beam of 100° and a penetration of 5-7 ft. you need at least true 8000 lumen.

Unfortunately there is a big mess with lumen data declared by producers as the lumen depend of the beam angle and often they declare high lumen but measured with narrow beams.
For macro 4000 lumen is more than enough but if you do moderate (or more) wide angle the power is simply not enough on a 100+° beam.
I use the 4320 Lumen Mangrove in Caverns and the illuminate also bigger spaces very well as they do on night dives, but on sunny days on depths less than 120 ft they lack of power.

Chris

P.S.
Both the Sola and the Keldan get very good results and true 4000 lumen but i guess that they also are not enough powerful to illuminate a scene at noon in 40-60 ft deep and good viz.

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 18 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 SMY

SMY

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for this helpful information. Indeed I intend mainly to do wide angle shots.

For that reason I looked also on the bigger keldan - but the price and the size is maybe a limit....on the other side I ha a look on the 7000 Fisheye - but there I heard something about quality and blueish light....

Anybody different experience?

Regards, Sascha

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

SMY,

in this moment for wide angle video i would go for price reasons with the new Mangrove 8000 lumen presented on the Boot exhibition this year.
http://www.aditech-u...m-mvs-8l12.html

I use 2 Mangrove 4320 video light and i believe that they are very good priced and very well engineered and built with a good customer service in Spain.

Best Regards

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I don't think they are on the market yet, or at least I haven't heard anything about them before, but these appear to be quite affordable given their rated power. A pair of the 3600 lumen strobes plus mounting gear for $1400. Sounds like too good to be true or the next breakthrough in LED technology. Too much light for me, especially without ability to turn down the intensity, but could be good for some of the luminaries on this thread.

http://www.tecdivege...ghting-set.html

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE