6 replies to this topic

#1 2ge

2ge

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hi,

after my last trip in Bunaken and Lembeh I found out I need to stabilize my macro shots, so I am looking for tripod. I read couple of reviews and discussions and I can not decide, if I should buy Gorrila Tripod or XIT404 tripod. 

I like XIT404, because versatile legs, and it seems more steady, but it is soooo expensive - also I would like to know difference between XIT Ball adapter and Twist Kit. 

I got NA-GH2 Nauticam housing and like to shoot a video, so if somebody tried both and compare them, you are more than welcome to comment.

Thanks.

My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/BranoGege
My photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/gege2ge
Panasonic GH2 in Nauticam, 7-14mm, 14-42mm PZ, Diopter +10, 2xSola 4000

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have both!

The difference is really massive. Gorillapods are cheap and easy to use, and remarkably robust, but they are not in the same league in terms of stability compared to that of the XIT 404 tripod.

That said, the GH2 is not a big housing or heavy housing. If you plan on shooting macro though, the weight and stability of the XIT will definitely result in better results.

XIT's tripod bases all have 1" balls on them to connect to the legs. The legs can either be attached with a 1" ball (which will connect with a standard 1" ULCS or similar ball clamp) or by the XIT twist clamp, which does away with the clamp and mounts directly onto the tripod base balls. This is a firmer and easier way to connect in my experience.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

I personally have no experience with the gorilla pods.  But I do have th Xit404 with the twist clamps, and I love it.  Very easy to manuever and make changes when you need.  The only thing I struggle with, is when the legs are fully extended, it is hard to adjust.  But that doesn't happen very much.  I just got back from Anilao yesterday, and can say I only fully extended 5% of the time.  So it's not that big of a deal.

I would recommend the twist clamps.  They are worth it IMO..

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#4 2ge

2ge

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

thanks guys for opinions, so result is simple: if you got money, buy XIT, if you can not afford it gorrila will make also job but it will not so professional. I think I will take XIT with twist clamps, I guess it will also not lose the price during the time in case of selling it. Well 725 USD...

My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/BranoGege
My photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/gege2ge
Panasonic GH2 in Nauticam, 7-14mm, 14-42mm PZ, Diopter +10, 2xSola 4000

#5 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

Another user in favor of the XIT404 tripod. I use one for my L&M video housing and it works fine.

I tried the more conventional tripod/ball head combo from TLC (Technical Lighting Control) and it failed miserably.

The difference is the spread out mounting points for the legs under the XIT404 base vs the single point mounting for the TLC.

The single point is fine for above water use, but isn't stable at all under water unless you have a very heavy housing; even then it will be more or less overloaded. Also the single point attachment and swivel head design makes it too tall - it is impossible to get the assembly as low on the sand as with a flat base.

If you spread the legs on the XIT404 base, it will get the housing flat on the sand. You can't get a stable low position with a single point tripod; it will tend to flop over. How do I know this? Been there, tried that. Won't go back.... Anyone want a TLC cheap :mocking:

Tom

Edit: Gates also makes a tripod similar to the XIT404. I haven't used it, but I have seen it in use; it seems to work fine and the user gave it good comments.

Edited by wydeangle, 23 March 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#6 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

I have both and with my GH2 i use the gorilla pod. It supports the weight just fine, is much easier to maneuver into tricky positions such as spread across/in between rocks. You can not use your Nauticam tray with the xit tripod, with the screws/fixings provided, they are not long enough. So you have to attach your arms for your lights to the tray. Re positioning them every time you move the tripod, Which is way too much hassle for me.

If you want to buy a xit tripod with legs i will sell mine to you, i've only used it twice.

#7 matt215

matt215

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

I've been wondering the same thing as I pack to go to Lembeh. I'm taking a gorillapod, but yesterday I bought another tripod at the camera store here in town. It's a meFoto. It is made of aluminum, so maybe it will stand a chance in the salt water. The standard 1/4 inch screw attaches to the tray of my ikelite housing easily. It has a built in in ball swivel thing that allows easy movement. Very stable. It's very compact. I bought it assuming that it may not survive the salt water, but I'm being optimistic.
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tripod