Photo
- - - - -

New intermediate level set-up, please help!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hi guys!

I have been searching around the forums and there are so many good threads however my problem is that there is almost too much information. I've been shooting underwater for about 5 years and being a real geek when it comes to my hobbies I think I am learning to take some decent shots, both wide-angle and macro. I've been using a canon G9 compact with a Sea&Sea YS01 strobe but on a recent deep dive chasing hammerheads in Egypt I managed to flood my strobe. I also turn 30 this April and have decided to gift myself :) a new set-up, both camera and strobe(s).

I need your help though. I am looking for a versatile Micro 4/3 system with one or two strobes and lenses and ports which allows me to shoot both macro and wide-angle (I realize that I probably won't be able to shoot both WA and Macro on the same dive when I switch away from the compact camera system). I've been looking at the Olympus cameras mostly due to the fact that their own housings seem quite reasonable price-wise but the set-up can be any brand really. 

So a versatile camera + housing + lens (lenses?) and port(s) + one or two strobes and I am looking to pay no more than 3500 euro / 4000 USD (cheaper is of course better, this is my absolute max!). I live in Sweden so finding a dealer within the EU means no import taxes or customs fees which are quite high if i buy from the US. 

Any advice is very greatly appreciated!

I have attached a recent shot so that you can see what sort of skill level I am today shooting with my G9 (the picture is overexposed but what the heck).

Many thanks!

Martin 

IMG_16822.jpg

#2 Ronyx

Ronyx

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Adventure Motorcycling

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

That is a realy nice image. Rather than over exposed I feel the contrast could be dialed back. Nevertheless, still an excellent photograph.

Since your looking for 4/3 system there are better people to advise you here. However, the Olympus OMD-EM5 seems to be quite positively reviewed.

#3 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

That is a realy nice image. Rather than over exposed I feel the contrast could be dialed back. Nevertheless, still an excellent photograph.

Since your looking for 4/3 system there are better people to advise you here. However, the Olympus OMD-EM5 seems to be quite positively reviewed.

Thank you so much for the kind words, point taken regarding the contrast.

#4 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Look at this deal
http://opticaloceans...gear-combo.html

That is a great camera at an amazing price. I have the epl2 and have been very happy with it.
Your next purchase should be the 9-18 or the 60mm depending on which you prefer.

#5 Kenr

Kenr

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Diving,
    Yoga,
    Photography
    Running
    Cars
    Travel
    Good food

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Look at this deal
http://opticaloceans...gear-combo.html

That is a great camera at an amazing price. I have the epl2 and have been very happy with it.
Your next purchase should be the 9-18 or the 60mm depending on which you prefer.

that is a great deal. However the OM-D is more versatile. The OM-D with a Nauticam housing the port for the 12-50, will run you $3,300. That will leave you with enough to by a tray, focus light and one strobe and maybe a diopter. With the 12-50 you will be able to do semi wide to macro all with one lens. Later you could add the 60mm and a 8mm fisheye.

Thanks for the tip on the e-pm1. I just bought one of them, I may have gotten one of the last. This will make a great backup for my OM-D.

Edited by Kenr, 20 March 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Backscatter recently updated there review of Point & Shoots and Mirrorless cameras.  I thought Jim and Sterling did a great job describing the pros and cons of the different systems.

It can be found here.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Getting more and more interested in the OM-D...

#8 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

So, I'm still torn between getting the E-PL5 with a Oly housing and 60mm macro lens plus 9-18mm lens + ZEN WA-100 dome port as opposed t o getting the OM-D with kit 12 - 50 lens (same money). I understand the benefit of building up the OM-D system over time it just seems I get so much more if I go PL5 (both great WA and great Macro lens plus dome port). 

Could anyone give me an idea how wide the 12 mm OM-D kit lens will be with the standard Nauticam port compared to lets say the Canon S95 (which I use now) 28mm with Fantasea BigEye dome?

#9 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

Interesting, how is your price breakdown on these two alternatives?   If there was more low-cost alternative to the Zen glass domes for Olympus, that e-pl5 setup could be a real bargain, or am i missing something?

/O

#10 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

linder,

are you sure that you would like to go the micro 4/3 way?
You are used to have the advantage of a compact camera with zoom and macro and there are some newer models giving you a nice boost in image quality and HD video also.
Without any question, the Olympus is a very popular camera, priced very attractive and have a very good image quality.

But keep in mind that you run in two problems using a camera with interchangeable lenses:
1° often you have the wrong lens mounted

2° you need to buy at least 2 lenses, a macro and a wide angle or fish eye including the 2 ports for the lenses (and a zoom lens for land use)

3° even if the Olympus is small, the housing is considerable bigger than a Sony RX100, a G12 or S100 in a FIX or RecSea housing

For traveling , a compact camera in a Patima or Fix Fisheye / RecSea housing and 2 Inon S-200 strobes is hard to beat for weight and size reasons and the image quality is more than good.

I take a lot of land pictures with my Galaxy III phone. Why? Because i have it always with me ....
I love to go taking pictures with my D800 and all the fancy lenses i have, but this is a planned excursion, while often i encounter situations worth a picture when the D800 is at home.

Consider in your shopping list 2 strobes, the gain in image quality with a second strobe is most of the time worth the price for it.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#11 lufik

lufik

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

I am in very similar position myslef. My compact camera is dead and micro43 seems to be great upgrade. I already have EPL5 and I love this camera, my DSLR collects dust since I own it.

I went through my UW pictures and realized I am not in need of macro capabilities, so I am looking at wide angle options. I went throug galleries, tried search functionality of this forum and google, but have not come across any samples from Olympus 9-18 behind nauticam 4' wideangle port. Could anybody share samples showing CFWA capabilities of this combination or share his experience?

#12 Eddcar

Eddcar

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

Would you try mirrorless APS-C camera like NEX?  The housing for it is not expensive and a set under USD4000 should be possible.  I don't have info to say M4/3 would be worser than APS-C sensor but judging from pixel density it seems that the noise control and color could be better on APS-C sensor.  Correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks!

#13 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Thank you all for the great advice. Ended up blowing my budget and getting the OMD, Nauti housing with 12-50, austrian zoom gear, Subsee +5, and dual z-240. Also got the mount to add my gopro on the rig. Sould be quite capable :) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by linder, 28 April 2013 - 01:43 AM.

#14 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

Congrats on the new setup! When do we get to see pictures?

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#15 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thanks Steve! Will post some pics of the rig as soon as everything arrives . 

#16 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Everything finally arrived, can't wait to take this diving! Thanks everyone who helped me chose the parts for the rig, you've all been very helpful.

(Sorry for the quality of the picture, taken with crap point n shoot with no flash in low light).

2.jpg