Photo
- - - - -

RED 4k+ (and similar) vs Sony PMW 200 (and similar)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Fathom SWP 44C is a true wide angle converter for video camcorders. It allows the PWW 200 to zoom through from wide to close up.  Fantastic optics for UW usage.

Slightly different is the Deep Epic which uses a large dome port like you would with DSLR housings. One can use Tokina 10-17 or other FE lens. I even used the 4.5mm Sigma full circle FE with it. No limit to what you want to do really as long as the lens works with the port. I personally have made a special port for wide rectilinear lens such as the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8. Red Epic/Scarlet can be fitted with a Nikon mount. Just tested it a week ago on a dive trip. I will show the results at ADEX at the Scubacam booth C10-12.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#22 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Your port sounds very interesting David, does it mount of Deep Epic? I presume you have focussed on corner sharpness?

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#23 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Corner sharpness - Absolutely.  

Also resolving power and flat field. The port produces a flat image with no distortion. I did a half-in half-out test and interestingly slight curvature distortion for image above water and none underwater. So it is behaving like water corrected optics. The look is similar to a large diameter dome but of course my port is not that size - its only 7 inches in diameter. Still early days and some adjustment and fine tuning is needed. Subject to more tests I will send images to scientific labs and soon publish the results here. After that probably production in small batches. It is a difficult thing to get right. Not cheap to make unless I have hundreds of interested buyers. I could try Kickstarters or other fundraiser. A small batch production will cost a bomb.  

Cheers

David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 06 April 2013 - 03:44 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#24 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Good news for UW housing manufactures. RED digital cinema comes in different shades now have another weapon of choice, the Red Epic Dragon cinema camera. Not only that all existing Epic and Scarlet cameras could be upgraded. Looks like housing manufacturers for these cameras will be around for some time. It is mayhem at Reduser forum with one wave after another of product announcements. I am sure tomorrow (Monday in the USA) in the NAB Red booth there will be some scene. Upgrade to Dragon sensor has begun. Plus lots of very interesting gadgets announced. Like the new camera mount that converts rolling shutter to Global shutter and with electronic ND.....better have deep pockets. For those needing less fire power there is always the Black magic Design 4K. when ever that will be ready. One thing is for sure in the next few days expect even more 4K or more surprises. 

Cheers

D

#25 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

I know it is bloody brilliant, super stoked that bodies haven't changed. Looks like they are doing a Scarlet to Epic x upgrade too.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney