Photo
- - - - -

Tokina 10-17 for sharks. mini dome or 8"?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

I would agree with John, just returned from the Maldives doing lots of channel/kandus, the sharks just didn't get close enough for the tokina.

#22 Matt Sullivan

Matt Sullivan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Diving, fishing, photography, basketball, sleeping...

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

idk if in places like that though id necessarily aim to shoot sharks.  In certain parts, yeah like the whale sharks and mantas but doing normal reef dives (keeping in mind i havent been there, but reef sharks in the caribbean are the same deal i assume) im not going to set up on the chance ill see distant sharks ya know id just set up wide angle and if one happened show up and get close then then awesome but if not im then its no biggie

i think in those instances when the tokina doesnt reach i'd be willing to sacrifice an alright image and just watch the animal cruise by instead

#23 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

I'd prefer to not have to spend another $500 on an 8" ikelite dome in addition to the zen dome if the mini dome will be acceptable and if they tokina is an adequate shark lens

I personally would not pay for the Ikelite 8'' acrylic dome as the ZEN - or any other especially for your lens made -  anti reflection glass dome will have better optical quality.

A mini dome will give you better CFWA and lesser weight/bulk for travelling and you can balance your rig with floats and weights to make it neutral and horizontal/vertical balanced. 

The Tokina 10-17 mm will work with curious sharks, but for more shy creatures it will be too wide and a good lens for them is a +/- 18-35mm zoom lens.

Should you use a 24MP + camera you can crop the shark/motiv out  of the image without too much degradation if the visibility is very good.

I learned photography as a kid with my dad's Leica M2 35mm fixed lens, where te zoom was made of my legs, walking towards or away from the motiv, 
this still works well with still motives but is not working very well with moving motives.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#24 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

I would agree with John, just returned from the Maldives doing lots of channel/kandus, the sharks just didn't get close enough for the tokina.

So would i ...here are 3 images. Except for the nurse sharks on a night dive its very difficult with the currents to take decent images of sharks in the Maldives. Nurse shark was with a mini dome i think and the other two with the large.

Cheers,

Diggy

Attached Images

• _MG_0087.jpg
  • _MG_0091.jpg
  • _MG_9145.jpg

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#25 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

Cheers for all the replies - looks like I'll be saving money on the 10-22mm and taking even more mants shots than I'd planned!

Mike

#26 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Maldives and Tokina 10-17 is good for mantas though!

Attached Images

• _ESC0962a.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#27 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

Another thing to consider that if you went with a Zeni min dome it is only designed for the Tokina 10-17mm with the Ikelite setups.  If you go with the Ikelite 8 inch dome you can use a huge range of lenses with the addition of suitable extension rings.  By looking at that I believe the most versatile dome for your Ikelite would be the 8inch dome and then choose which lens you want to house it. 

Honestly if you cant shoot a shark with a 10-17mm as its too far away when its going to be too far away to get any light from your strobes on it.  So you might as well shoot strobeless with the Tokina 10-17mm and crop to get the same ordinary dull  image ( unless your trying to get a silhouette image).  

If your after some sort of general purpose lens which has a large zoom there is the Sigma 17-70mm Macro.  It might be suited if you needed that extra reach for far away subjects.  I personally found the Sigma 17-70 a pain as it wasnt wide enough when shooting wide angle and macro was useless as you have to shoot the lens behind a larger dome.  Every time I used the Sigma for wide angle I wished I had just taken the Tokina 10-17mm out instead. Now the Sigme sits on my desk and never gets used (its for sale if anyone is interested in a Nikon mount).

Why I love the Tokina 10-17mm. It fast to focus. Focuses right up to the dome. and is wide enough to fit most large subjects in so you can get close fill the frame and light the whole subject up.

Here are some shots to show you what the Tokina 10-17mm can do:

6949288258_327f362983_z.jpg

6128500216_34765f1cbd_z.jpg

6078016367_14df2a5059_z.jpg

5928615546_7f19771b2a_z.jpg

]5916947361_56b3745f6e_z.jpg

Regards Mark

5914628930_c69bc4da15_z.jpg

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#28 Matt Sullivan

Matt Sullivan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Diving, fishing, photography, basketball, sleeping...

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

again, thanks for all the replies guys. Im going to be sticking with just the tokina for a long time so i figured id go with a port designed specifically for it (the Zen or Precision Dome). John, thats a sweet shot of the Manta and Mark i love the wobbegong shot