• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Over the years I have collected more photography gear for use underwater than any man would ever need. Recently I have been selling off all the kit I really no longer need. Apart from the film stuff that I actually gave away, I sold all that perfectly good equipment that I was no longer using. I am now down to one housing, a set of ports, two camera bodies and two lenses (for underwater use). I kept a range of lenses for surface and studio use. I recommend it. The feeling that comes with simplification is wonderful.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

For a number of years I have been refining and reducing my kit to 'essential kit' only system. For underwater use I have one housing three ports and a set of extenders plus 2 cameras and 4 fixed focal lenses (I have specific requirements so 2 are simply not sufficient) plus an additional 2 dSLR lenses for above water use too (50 and 65MPE). I also have a rangefinder + 4 fixed focals - for lightness when walking in the hills. This is, I think, quite sufficient. [I also own 1 film camera - a very battered 1970 Leica M4 with a 21mm Super-Angulon lens from 1963 which though rarely used won't be parted with easily].

Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#3 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

2 dSLR lenses for above water use too (50 and 65MPE).

I recommend you NOT to bring the 65MPE underwater, it's a lot of trouble...

ok, ok, but as well a lot of fun :D  don't expect a high %age of succes.

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

The feeling that comes with simplification is wonderful.

We'll make an amateur of you yet (although the definition of an amateur might be someone who spends more time thinking about diving than actually shooting underwater)!

#5 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

... the definition of an amateur might be someone who spends more time thinking about diving than actually shooting underwater...

Yay, I've finally made it from complete ignoramus up to amateur!

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...