• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I wrote this: http://www.divernet....ing_sentry.html

It's shorter than one of Adam's reviews thanks to the discipline of writing to a page length in a paper magazine, but you might find it interesting

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#22 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I was going to delete this, but given that the post references my lack of discipline while writing thought that doing so would look churlish.

John, I fail to see what this last post has to do with the release of the Nauticam vacuum system? Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be what this topic is about? Is it just an attempt to drive visitors to your review? 

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#23 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

My review is of yet another alternative vacuum pump system, which people might be interested to know about.

Adam, I think you are being over-sensitive. Everyone knows that paper magazines are limited by pagination and hence articles have to be concise (although this article is available on the Internet, it originates from a paper magazine) whereas when we write specifically for the Internet this is no longer a problem...or is your complaint another case of Nauticam bias? (I was the OP on this thread!)

Edited by John Bantin, 30 September 2013 - 11:23 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#24 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

I wonder if Aquatica is working on something similar.

Yes we are.

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#25 Ronyx

Ronyx

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Adventure Motorcycling

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

It is great to hear that Jean,

#26 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi John,

The last post of this dormant thread was a legitimate query about whether Aquatica plan to produce a vacuum system. ( I am very glad to hear that they are!)

Your reply does not attempt to answer his query, but points people to one of your reviews on a site about another third party product. This looks to me like you are using the forums to drive traffic to sites and reviews with which you are associated. 

Your last post says that this is "another case of Nauticam bias"-would you care to substantiate that remark?

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#27 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Adam, I have been a member for a while, but pretty inactive until recently. Is it frowned upon to make a post that references people to a site that is not on Wetpixel? I found John's article well written and informative. Please do not see this question as trying to "stir the pot", I just found the reference a good read, and since I have just purchased a vacuum system, I was glad that he posted it. And unfortunately but true, there are a lot more "dormant threads" since the weekly photo contest went down the crapper. I would not mention the photo contest here, but alas, all questions regarding the weekly photo contest in the "feedback" section have seem to have disappeared.

Edited by diverdoug1, 30 September 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#28 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi Doug,

There is no issue about people linking to articles of interest in general.

However, due to various commercial organizations using the forums somewhat unscrupulously in the past, we introduced a set of specific rules. They are listed here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=36639

Industry members cannot make posts about things unless they are responding to a specific enquiry. 

POTW will come back, it is simply a question of time and resources. I miss it too...

No posts have been specifically deleted, but posts in Feedback, Announcements etc. do auto remove after long periods of inactivity. Please stick another post in there to keep us reminded!

In general, post deletion by admins only takes place when the post is in violation of the above rules, is a personal attack on a Wetpixel member or is spam!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#29 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Adam. I have not worked for Diver Mag nor been paid by that organisation since July.

#30 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks John,

I was aware of that, but I believe that you are still writing for various other publications so are still an industry member.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#31 nikonscubadiver

nikonscubadiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

It is great to hear that Jean,

UnderWater Camera Stuff has a system for the Aquaticia that has been available for about a two years if you are looking for something now. http://uwcamerastuff...entry_basic.pdf  I just purchased and installed one in my ikelite housing and will do a review soon. It was very easy to install in a unused control fitting and seems to be very simple and robust. 

Roger

#32 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

I am retired from my job that gave me a reputation for integrity and unbiased reporting. In fact I was never an Industry Member. I was in fact the scourge of an industry that is probably glad to see the back of me. I have a collection  of more letters from the lawyers of Industry Members than most. I will occasionally write something for a magazine but no more so than any other member of wetpixel. However, if Adam take offence that I post here, so be it. I will no longer do it.

#33 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I am not in a position to judge if John has violated any WP guidelines.  I do value his observations & opinions.

Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp