Photo
- - - - -

Focus Light Strength: How much is needed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

What is your experience?

How many Lumens are needed in a Focuslight?

It seems like a lot of you are using some sort of Sola and a lot the Sola 500.

To which level do you dim to?

I am interested to know the needed amount of Lumens for a Focus light!

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#2 jahjahwarrior

jahjahwarrior

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Using a Sola 800, I find that I play around with the levels constantly, depending on the shot.

If you are using manual focus, you need enough light for you to see by. What I find myself doing most is leaving the settings at the mid level, and thumbing between white and red. Sometimes, the red doesn't seem like enough to see clearly so I push it up to max. The white I mostly put to max when I'm under or inside of something and I'm using the sola as my only light.

#3 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

A lot of it depends on the viewfinder, as well as the particular scene you're trying to frame.

Smaller, crop-DSLR viewfinders, you might want more focus light.  Huge FF pentaprisms, maybe not so much.

And in my case, Sony-A55 with electronic viewfinder, first generation, that 'helpfully' goes black with manual settings and a manually synced strobe (camera doesn't know strobe is there, and is trying to give you a preview of how lit it thinks the shot will be), I need a LOT of focus light or my view is sometimes nonexistant.  (All later SLTs from Sony have the ability to disable this 'feature'.)

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#4 matt215

matt215

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I use the Sola 800 as well and couldn't be happier with its performance. I especially like the red light option, which makes it easier to sneak up on unsuspecting fishies like Mandarin fish.
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#5 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

I agree that proper red light is good UW. It simply spooks them less.

Manual with non-DSLRs or eltronic viewfinder systems. Then I clearly understand that you want a lot of light.

A Sola 500/800 has 500/800 Lumens at maximum light output. How often are you actually using the full power of it?

When used as a Focus Ligth ( Video is different issue).

My experience is that a lot of light tend to spook the fishes or the Nudis turn around "faster" etc etc.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240