8mm Fisheye Samyang wide angle

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

I recently purchase a Samyang 8mm f3.5 Fisheye after reading a review by Ken Rockwell.

I found these lens readily available on Ebay and picked one up for a good price, less than $200.

I dont have access to a swimming pool as such for proper lens testing but I has able to take this lens out for a dive yesterday to see how it performs and make a rough comparison to the Tokina 10-17mm which I normally use.  To start off the lens is a manual focus lens which i set the lens to its minium focus length of approximately 30cm or about a foot..  As you expect you need to be close to the subject as this lens is really wide but surprisingly it didnt have the distortion I was expecting and it feels to have less distortion than the Tokina 10-17mm @ 10mm. 

First impressions are that the lens doesnt focus as close as the Tokina but I was expecting that and it isnt as sharp as the Tokina. I had to set the aperture at a setting between f8 and f11 on the lens....which I expected to be f9 (wasnt marked on the aperture ring).

Here are a few shots from yesterdays dive taken on a Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing and 8 inch dome with 2x Ikelite DS161 strobes.  Quick mention I also upgraded to the new Ikelite Li-ion battery packs made for the DS125/160/161 strobes. I must admit I like these new battery packs as they are lighter than the older packs abd have a quicker recycle time and give twice as amount of flashes than the standard battery packs. More bang for your buck. 

The shots are taken a setting between f8-f11 and ISO100. The images are not cropped or edited only resized for web. Only adjustment was shutter speed. This collection highlights what one can see on a single dive are Julian Rocks, Byron Bay, Australia, which is one of the best dive sites in Australia.

Only early days with this lens but I am enjoying shooting with it and hopefully fine tune its performance. Hopefully getting a Manta photo during the week to add to todays collection.  This lens has potential to make a great video lens for those like myself who are using the DSLR's more and more in making video's.

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing

Nikon D500 with Aquatica Housing
Nikon 10.5mm FE, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 11-16mm, Nikkor 60, Nikkor 80-400mm

#2 MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6271 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

eagle ray! damn! so close..so nice

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop at NAD Lembeh July/Aug 2016 with Doug Sloss
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip to Raja Ampat in March 2017 on the Mermaid II

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 8mm, Fisheye, Samyang, wide angle