Photo
- - - - -

What is this pretty fish I shot in Fiji?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brookmathews

brookmathews

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:39 AM

They like to sit on the sand.
They're about 6-8" long.
They have a black spot on their tail.

What do you call them?

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:23 AM

This is a type of sand perch. I don't know the species and I don't have a fish book here! With the species of sand perch that is common in the Red Sea the males have lines on their cheeks and the females have spots - so maybe this is a male? Nice pic, too.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:32 PM

Brooke,

Over here in Aust. these fish go by a common name of "grubfish" of which there are many. In the case of your picture posted it most resembles a Blacktail Grubfish (Parapercis hexophtalma) that we have over here. A fairly common species on the east coast.

Hope this helps.

#4 JPS

JPS

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:08 AM

Parapercis hexophtalma is the same sandperch that Alex mentioned to be common in Red Sea. Please find attached a picture of one male from Sharm el Sheikh. The black spot in tail does not match any of the other 11 Parapercis species in Lieske & Myers; however, FishBase.org has 54 valid Parapercis species...
Nikon D200, Ike housing, 2xDS125; Fuji E900 + Inon Z240

#5 albatross

albatross

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:52 PM

What is this pretty fish I shot in Fiji?

Glad you got your id, but I have to comment on your photo. That is really nice photograph. Whenever I tried to capture an image of that type of fish... well, let's just say I got a lot of fish butt pictures. :) Nice job!