#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

My thoughts on this camera on the latest blog

http://interceptor12....derwater-video

The video is compiling on vimeo and will be online soon. I had to replace as the first time it was not HD

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Interceptor. Do you have information/Theory about why the sensor size doesn't make much difference between the two when come to shooting video? I remember reading something about HD video is only 1920x1080 so it only uses a small portion of the sensor area, hence a 1" vs 1/2.7" sensor size doesn't make much difference.

My novice friend wanted to spend $5000 to get a Professional video camera and when I saw it's only 0.3" CMOS sensor, I'm scratching my head......

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Am not an expert on the subject but typically sensor capture more pixels that they end up storing though it is not exactly like stills it is better to have a larger sensor because of noise. The issue is real time processing power to scale down and compression that usually limits video to 2MB resolution not to mention decoding that no hardware at home can do.

I think professional cameras for example 3-sensors should beat the LX7 as each sensor captures a different RGB channel I believe (but maybe be very wrong) but single CMOS sensor probably won't be better simply because the 1/1.7" of a compact camera is actually larger

In general the issue with compacts for shooting video versus a camcorder is the lack of specific video controls but in the LX7 this does not apply the camera has more controls than a camcorder

But again I am not the expert in the field I would have a word with the video people here

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I just realised the pictures went missing. It may be worth having a look again at the post as the information on the stills is relevant

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks! I read your blog when it was first release, but didn't see the photo of the lens reflection until now.

Anyway, I just receive my Ikelite LX-7 housing, that thing is huge, but I think it's a practical tradeoff for my budget and usage. I have been thinking long and hard, Nauticam vs Ikelite. At the end, for about the same price of the Nauticam+Wet mate, I can get the Ikelite + WA-110 + Dyron (+7). That will cover my need of wide angle as well as macro for my upcoming trip.

The Wet mate for the Nauticam is practically a must have due to the distortion without it, like you tested in the pool. So, I do not want to carry 3 wet lens into the water! I will order the WA-110 and Dyron this week. I haven't try the Ikelite into the pool to test, but the Inon UFL-165AD is not usable until the camera zoommed into 50mm, like you said. So which I mean I really need the WA-110. At the moment, I'm trying to finalize my tray set up for the Ikelite. I'm reusing the ULCS Tray from my Sanyo, add the extender. But the mounting throw me off. I have no idea why Ikelite choose to use #10-24 screw for the housing mount, while pretty much everybody is using 1/4". It took me a couple trip to find two #10-24 screw just to put the housing on the tray. Now I'm trying to figure out how to put a tripod at the bottom of the tray.

Anyway, I will do a test shoot to see if 24mm will distord with the bareport like Nauticam, which I don't anticipate it to happen. The mechanism of the Ikelite is very hard to use, may be because I'm just use to DSLR, scrolling through wheel and knob. The Ikelite do allow half press to lock focus if you have gentle touch of the shutter level. I don't miss the flash or the aspect ratio setting, but the ND/focus wheel is really a pain to use. May be once the housing is under pressure in the water, it may be easier to use. I will post a short review once I have it in the pool in next couple weeks.

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

I wonder about the amount of vignette of that lens. If I were you I would do a very quick test in the sink

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Are you refering to the WA-110? I'm curious about that too, that's why I will test it in the pool first to get to know how to use it. I'm expecting to have to zoom to 28mm to get rid of any vignette, worse case, 35mm. Scott keep saying the WA-110 will work and is sharp, but didn't clarify at what focal length. It's the only choice I have because even with the Inon H100, you still get vignette (unless the Nauticam is the newer one, which my dive shop have no way to confirm). and of course I don't want to deal with the lens reflection on the the Inon like what you had.

Kind of funny that you and I started out the same way with Sanyo, now we kind of go opposite direction. If I ended up keeping the Lx-7 for a while, I will invest in a Nauticam housing just for the sake of durability. The Ikelite is plastic housing, so it already have a few scratches at the bottom when I try to align it with the ULCS tray.

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

The Inon does not have vignette at 28mm not sure who told you that but if you use type 1 the lens will sit right on the ikelite glass and the flare will be worst on the Epoque lens as it has cheaper coating. Flare depends on not having a hood and the epoque lens can't have one, the inon can

At 35mm there is no benefit using this lens compared to the wet mate and you will most likely have soft corners

You really need to fill your sink and test it as if there is vignette it will show and I have a bad feeling that it will be far worst than the inon that is a larger lens

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#9 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

The Inon will have vignette IF the Nauticam housing is the old one that has the thicker port. I send the dive shop your post about you told Nauticam the issue you had and they sent you a new housing with a shorter port. But the dive shop told me he's not aware of it, and of course won't have a LX-7 to test the housing at his end. I don't know if there is a difference in Nauticam USA and Nauticam UK, but since I couldn't get a straight answer whether if the Nauticam housing is going to be the same as the one you have, I would just not take the chance for now. Like I said, if I don't like the Ikelite housing, it's less money lose to get rid of it.

I won't receive the WA-110 until monday, darn it, I was going to go to the pool this Sunday. I suspect the WA-110 is Type 2, but it's 110 degree vs the 100 degree on the Inon, so I don't know how far I may have to zoom. But it's very frustrating to try to shop this type of stuff online as non of my local dive shop carry good UW photography stuffs. I will just learn to use the lens the way it is. Who know in the future there may be a new version of RX100, or Panasonic has something difference, that's 28mm at the widest then the WA-110 may still be usable.

Now I just don't know want to do with my Inon UFL-165!!!! Ideally I like to get a wide angle that's at least 130 degree, but there is none out there.

#10 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

Annoying indeed

I have converted the Inon UWL-H100 into bayonet all good

http://interceptor12...-panasonic-lx7/

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#11 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Interesting LD bayonet coversion. Are you going to have problem when switching between wide angle, wet mate and macro? The spacer you have to add seems to complicate things a bit.

#12 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Not at all I have bayonet lenses for both wide and macro it works a treat and is much faster than m67 The spacer is glued inside the housing once is there it is forgotten