Connecting flash through hotshoe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Contributing editor to dive magazines in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi all,

I am trying to hook up a Sea & Sea YS90 Duo to my D600 using an electrical sync cord through a Nikonos 5 pin connector to the hotshoe of the camera (in Nauticam housing).

Can't get the strobe to fire. Anything I'm missing here: camera / strobe settings?  Too many pins connected? 

I will greatly appreciate your recommendations.

--Rob

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Please make the following test in this order:
Does the strobe fire with another camera and does the camera fire another strobe? Strobe fires= Strobe and cables ok, camera settings ok!
Does the strobe fire shortening the right 2 pins on your strobe. Google how to do that before you try it! Strobe fires = Strobe ok! 
Does the strobe fire shortening the right pins on your strobe cable connecting the Nikonos bulkhead to the strobe. Strobe fires = Strobe and cables ok!
Does the strobe fire shortening the right pins on the hot shoe connector inside the housing. (Ask Nauticam before and how you do that) Strobe fires = Strobe and cables and hot shoe ok!

Strobe does not fire in one of those steps you tacked down where the problem is; strobe, cable or hot shoe housing

WARNING! Shortening the wrong pins will toast some electronics inside your strobe and/or your housing!

I bought in 2008 a brand new Ikelite DS-125 strobe and it did not work and after days of tests i found a schematic how to shorten the pins
to see if the strobe is working. Unfortunately the strobe was not working and i had to send it back to Ikelite to change the strobe bulb.

Chris

P.S. as far as i know there is no setting on the D600 disabling a external strobe triggered by the hot shoe.

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 31 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Contributing editor to dive magazines in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

Thank you Chris.

I think the NikV connector is trying to give me ttl which I don't use with this strobe. All I need connected are the pins that tell the strobe to fire.

In my Subal housing I had a small circuit board and the strobes were connected through a 3-pin connector, not 5. There is nothing of the sort in the Nauticam housing, so how do I use the Nauticam electronic strobe connector with manually operated strobes? Instruction manual does not instruct on this matter. 

Best regards,

--Rob

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

Slave switch is off?

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

if you are sure that the strobe nd the cable is working,  you should contact your dealer or Nauticam directly.

You may try to contact Alex_Tattersall fom Nauticam UK here in this forum, i am sure he will and can help you.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

#6 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

It works. Contacts are flimsy, gave it a good squeeze an now it's fine. Not a very well built product. 

--Rob

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Glad to hear that it work now!

Curious what is the "not very well built product" ???

Chris

#8 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I mean the Nauticam / Nikonos 5 pin bulkhead. The housing is great!

--Rob