• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

I have my new panasonic GH3 and wait for my Nauticam housing to arrive. I intend to make photos and videos. For the light I bought 2 Keldan 4.

Now i look for lenses: on the one side I like the Panasonic 7-14 but therefore I need the big Nauticam semi Dome with 6 inch- and I don't know if this is not to big.

On the otherside the Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm looks very nice and can be used with the Nauticam 4.33 dome.

What do you think?

Regards, Sascha

#2 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

I have my new panasonic GH3 and wait for my Nauticam housing to arrive. I intend to make photos and videos. For the light I bought 2 Keldan 4.

Now i look for lenses: on the one side I like the Panasonic 7-14 but therefore I need the big Nauticam semi Dome with 6 inch- and I don't know if this is not to big.

On the otherside the Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm looks very nice and can be used with the Nauticam 4.33 dome.

What do you think?

Regards, Sascha

This all depends on what you are going to photograph. And budget.

I opted for both the 8 mm fisheye (mostly for photos, I don't like fisheye for video much) , 7-14 mm for wide angle video, the Olympus 12 mm (since it can be used in the same 4,33" dome as the 8 mm fisheye) and the 12-35 mm which is included in the GH3 A-kit (fits in the same 6" dome as the 7-14mm).

If one lens is your budget and video is a big part of your shooting, then IMO the 8 mm fisheye is not the best option.

The GH3A kit with the 12-35 would be a pretty good solution both for under and surface shooting. One lens wich allow a ok wide angle (84 degrees) and a future upgrade path to the 7-14 mm in the same 6" dome. For wreck and large stuff video the 7-14 really is the prefered option.

#3 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

If you look at the Nauticam port chart you can see that the Olympus 12 mm also can be used with the 3,5" dome port if you add a 20 mm extension ring.

#4 SMY

SMY

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hi EspenB,
thanks a lot for the good advices, helped me a lot,

Indeed I currently intend to do more video - but this will change...maybe.

Do you think the 12mm could be a good start for wide angle video or is the flexibility of the 7-14 is essential?

#5 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Several friends with the GH2 startet out with the Panasonic 14mm pancake in the 3,5" dome. As the coverage is wider for the Oly 12mm it should be a nice lens for basic UW stuff. The reviews for the 12 mm is generally very positive. ;-)

Note that its only available in silver color unless you opt for the "limited black edition" (supposedly with a limited 3000 pcs manufactured - although my serial nr seems to be above 3000...). For surface use you really need the sun hood which is included in the expensive black edition package - but an optional separate extra for the regular silver version. (It's really annoying that Olympus lenses never have accessories like sun hoods and lens bags included in the package - the panasonic made lenses always have).

#6 SMY

SMY

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I assume the silver Oly 12 will create some reflections in a dome? So the black one is the preferred one?

#7 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

I assume the silver Oly 12 will create some reflections in a dome? So the black one is the preferred one?

I got the black one for vanity reasons. ;-)

I am also inclined to think that the Panasonic 12-35 might be a better option primarily because of the faster focus drive. But then you need the bigger dome. ;-)

What did you decide for the lens and dome?

Edited by EspenB, 16 May 2013 - 03:11 AM.

#8 SMY

SMY

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

due to the better flexibility I will start with the 7-14 and the 12-35.....when my housing is there! I still look for a possibility to fix filetrs on the 7-14 and also for the 12-35I am looking for a red filter....

#9 wind

wind

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Big and small.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

I have the GH3 with the 12-35 lens. I ordered the 6' Wide Angle Port to my nauticam GH3 housing.

I will start with this setup.

Maybe later I will buy the 7-14 lens that I can use in the same port.

As I also like small stuff I will buy the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 60/2,8 later also. From what I read this is better underwater than the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45/2,8.

Edited by wind, 16 May 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#10 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

To complicate the issue of lens and port choice further ZEN Underwater has released a 170mm optical glass port for the Nauticam Mini housings along with 20mm and 30mm port extensions. I have been using the port with several lenses for both M43 and Sony NEX cameras using the 20mm extension for zoom lenses like the Panasonic 7-14 and the Sony 10-18mm. The great thing about this port is that because it can be directly mounted to the housing or mounted with port extensions the number of lenses that can be used with the port is expanded. This port will work using an extension with lenses like the 7-14, 9-18,-12-35, 14-42, 14-45 and without the extension with lenses like the Olympus 12mm F/2, 17mm, 14mm, 20mm and several more in the NEX lineup. It will not work with the Panasonic 8mm fisheye because of vignetteing issues. I have read several rumors that Olympus will also be announcing a new fast (F/2.8 or F/2) zoom in the 12-35 range later this year which I would also expect to work with this port. I found the port to be quite good for over/under shots and very high quality in terms of the optical glass. The port retails for around $995.00 and could replace the need for multiple ports using the extension. The attached link has photos and more details.

Phil Rudin 

http://www.scubaboar...-7-14-zoom.html

Edited by Phil Rudin, 17 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.