9 replies to this topic

#1 sluggo

sluggo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

they take with their camera for a trip?

I am thinking things like 'grease', magifying glas, lint free clothe, spare 'o' rings, screw driver etc etc?

thanks!

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yes, but the items you list are not separate.   They are just part of the "tool kit" on the list.  The kit has been around for a long time, so I don't need to list each item in the kit.   I just have to remember to replenish and pack it.

I have a spreadsheet that itemizes each packable unit of camera gear (one photo, one video).  Each one has a weight.   For each trip, I make a new sheet and copy the list to it.   I then delete anything I decide not to take, e.g. strobes for whale snorkeling trip.   I then assign it to a column representing the bag it will be packed in.   When I get done, I have check list that I can use and know where every thing is when I unpack and the weight of each bag.

I still forget stuff.

My most recent trip had 42 items on the list for my carry-on luggage in total.   I had 11 items totaling 19 lbs. packed in a shooter's vest, which went into the roller which had 17 more lbs. of gear.   The remainder of the items went into a backpack, which weighed 16 lbs. if I took the camera bodies out and hung them around my neck.

I have a separate list for all dive gear and another list for other items, e.g. clothing, first aid kit.

I still forgot the insect repellent.  I really do need sublists so I remember to replenish consumables, e.g. dive computer batteries.

I print a hard copy of everything I packed.   I forget to pack the lists.  I also keep the file stored in the cloud because me forgetting to pack the printed lists would surprise no one.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I don't have a list as i use my rigs and dive gear so much that it will be difficoult to forget something.

I buy bug repellent, some cheap clothes, toilet stuff, etc. usually in place to keep my luggage as light as possible....
last November i travelled to Oman with 100lbs of dive and photo gear incl. computer, chargers, disks, etc. and 10 lbs of personal things ....

For hauling all that i use the same system as - and probably look similar to - Scorpio_Fish wrote above:

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'm organized by nature and have garage cup boards/shelves reserved for gear/cameras.  Every thing has a normal place,  so in general when I pack I clear out the storage places.

When packing for trips for wife and myself here's what I do:

Dive gear: lay all gear out on garage floor. Have wife come out and we mentally get geared up and check off all items.

Camera stuff.  Pack all in camera case and weight it - must weight 51 lbs or some thing is missing. Housings, ports, strobes are kept in original boxes, si I just empty the cup board.

A lot of smaller items also stay in boxes and small nylon bags, so these just pack as sub units.

By exception, I go through dive gear and camera storage spaces and touch any thing still in these areas to verify as as 'not going'!

Medications: have and use a check list.

Personal clothing - throw some things in at last minute!  This is last of my worries.

While on the trip, I keep a small note pad and record all items that need replacement or repairs.  These, for me, are easily forgotten in the heat of the dives!

Edited by okuma, 02 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#5 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

When I am flying I am using 3 lists: Camera Gear, Batteries & Dive Gear.

This in order to minimize the risk of forgetting something and also only have to think once.

I believe that these Lists are very personal. I would suggest to spend some time to thinking about what would be painful for you to forget.

If I am on a daytrip or weekdend trip. Then I just go with the flow. It wouldn't be that painful to forget something.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#6 diverrex

diverrex

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

My "stuff" stays in three separate small drybags that I take with me on local day boats. When I travel it's simply a matter taking all three of those bags, everything is already in them. I do keep a list of a few other small items like small power strip, chargers, etc. I keep all my camera gear on a dedictaed bookcase or in two large plastic tubs in a closet shelf right nexct to the bookcase so when packing for trips all my gear is already all together in one spot. Keeping gear in multiple locations is a recipe for forgetting something I think.

#7 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

I keep all the small easy to forget stuff in one of these small plastic boxes.

Things like the different lithium button cells, spare O-rings, assortment of small  tools, o-ring greases etc etc etc

That works pretty good for me. I reduce the likleihood to forget something that way.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#8 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi 

I have two bags one for dive kit one for photo kit. I have all my tools/ cleaning items in a neoprene bag.

I pack dive kit first then photo kit, i have not forgotten any thing as yet. My wife always keeps away when I

pack so i just concentrate on what I am doing, now I have it down to a fine art, I can pack in half an hour.

Regards,

Andy :uwphotog:  

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#9 UncleRobin

UncleRobin

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

That's a good idea, I'm always forgetting something. :mocking:

UR

#10 3PW

3PW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

iPad notes are really good for creating lots of lists of stuff which you can amend as you go and create new ones as you need. I have lists for everything and rarely miss an essential. ;)