• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parso

Parso

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi All. In July I am heading to South Australia to cage dive with the Great Whites, with my Canon 50D in an Ikelite housing. I recently brought a Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens for the trip. I have the Ike 8" dome port, but would need to buy the superwide mounting body #5510.11 to use the lens with the 8" dome. My other option is to buy the 6" dome port #5503 and shoot with the dome shade removed. I have read that, in the cage you are better off with a less bulky rig. I was wondering if one or the other improves or detracts from the images. So the question is, am I better off with the 8" or 6" dome port. Thanks in advance for your replys.

Edited by Parso, 06 April 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#2 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

I would suggest the smaller dome for the simple reason that its easier to maneuver while in and through the cage bars. The only issue is that with a smaller dome the strobes have to be closer together than the wider dome. BUT i guess you will be taking pictures sans the strobes and manually white balance. So go with the smaller one. I have not seen a herculean difference in images with both except that the smaller dome is better for CFWA pics.

Cheers,

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#3 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

6" port especially with Tokina 10-17mm and you'll get no vignetting by 12mm on a Canon 1.6X crop APS-C sensor with shade is fine.

Smaller port is much easier to maneuver in cage windows too.

Good shooting!

dhaas

Attached Images

• GreatWhite2002ND100.jpg

David Haas
www.haasimages.com