8 replies to this topic

#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

My wife has a two-week window of opportunity to dive over Christmas and New Years and I was thinking of heading to a Caribbean dive location.   We've been to Coco View twice and Utila once.  However, I have my own stock photo business and topside scenery is paramount - blue blue waters, white sand beaches, palms, etc.  Roatan wasn't that scenic topside, so I thought I'd reach out to the people here who have traveled all over the Caribbean for advice.  We really want the laid back style, beach diving like at Coco View, and not the hotel style diving.  So I guess I am asking for advice on a place like Coco View but with more scenery. We will be going to the Scuba Show in Long Beach but wanted to take a list of 2-3 options so that we can and vett them further there.

Again, if it makes any difference in where you recommend we go, the plan is to depart the week before Christmas and come back the weekend after New Years.

Any ideas?

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Bonaire would be ideal for that. There are several good resorts and if you rent your own truck to dive from you can solo dive to your hearts content. Though there are sandy beaches on Bonaire there are not that many but photo opportunities are around every corner. 

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#3 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. Any particular place you can point me to? I have a lot of friends who have been to Bonaire many times, like Bonnie Cardone & Eric Hanauer and I simply have never gone there due to my lust for third world travel.  I am calming down a bit, and being more open to the wife's needs for "satisfaction". :lol2:

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Bonaire is a sand-blasted desert,not very good for topside pictures. What about Grenada or the BVI? They'll give you the white sand, the turqoiise sea and the palm fronds gently rustling in the breeze.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Sand blasted desert? Really? True it is a desert island but I disagree about topside photos. The last place we stayed was Den Laman apartments and purchased their Dive and Drive package. Very clean room, nice view, Good house reef and free nitrox. If you stay here I recommend calling them on the phone to book rather then online.My slideshow from February,  

Another great place to go would be Little Cayman at Little Cayman Beach Resort, good diving and a Bird sanctuary walking distance away.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#6 Ronyx

Ronyx

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Adventure Motorcycling

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I love little cayman. Although I believe Granada is more lush top side

#7 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Have you thought of St Lucia? Haven't done much diving, but the mountains/pitons are wonderful. Very lush, and has beaches. Only did 5 dives there on the honeymoon. But I recently talked with someone who said the diving was spectacular, with frogfish and seahorses "all over the place".

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Some pics

Grenada

St Lucia

Just came back from Grenada was in St Lucia last year

Few videos as well

Grenada

St Lucia

St Lucia is a more scenic island diving wise there is near to no fish though we had a seahorse there to entertain us

Grenada has better diving and plenty of wrecks and better beaches less interesting as an island

I have been to Bahamas and Turks that is Atlantic and visibility is better

Also been to Tobago and was OK not amazing

Next trip probably Cayman or Mexico

Edited by Interceptor121, 08 April 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#9 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Another vote for Grenada here - absolutely mindblowing, lush and beautiful both topside and underwater.  I believe the wind starts to come up around the end of December, but that won't affect your ability to get to many of the Caribbean-side reefs and wrecks. 

Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com