• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Only housing worth using with the Alexa is the Hydroflex. Peter Romano does not sell but rent his housing plus crew.

The other option is ..... two guesses. Moi. I have a custom made housing for pool work with my business associates.

Red Epic could go up to 22+ stop with Photomatrix.  see this link: 

Looks a bit strange for me.

Sorry. Back on topic. 

In an aluminium housing in the tropics there is little to worry about the 1DC. 

All the cinema cameras heats up including my Epic "hair dryer".  Just be sure that no tiny splashes or droplets are left inside when changing card or battery. Also the o-ring need to be wicked dry before closing especially if a vacuum system is used (highly recommended).

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#22 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

Canon tested heat issues in the Nauticam housing prior to 1D C release in water at 27c and had no problems.  

Granted it is our cooler water season now, but we've not had issues here, and have been using the camera a lot.  In my own dives the camera was powered on continually, and captured a couple of 15 min running clips without issue.  My camera is in Brazil now, and heading to Indonesia in a couple of weeks, so it will get more of a workout.

I really like the camera.  The still photo capability is valuable for me, which makes the price more palatable.  I'd also not discount the S35 recording modes, which capture noticeably more resolution than the 1080 30P line skipped captures.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#23 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Drew, David and Ryan for your valuable insight.

The three different recording modes with correspondingly three different crop factors does make this camera quite multifaceted. Full frame HD, S35 with 1.6 crop factor and 4K with 1.3 crop factor.

I just noticed a comment on Vimeo by a Swiss 1DC user: "Now, Canon won't deliver any 1DCs in Europe currently. When pressed, my Canon contact here said the new 25p firmware needs a hardware modification/upgrade. That would mean that already delivered cameras will have to go back. But there isn't anything official out on this yet."

Let's see will this be solved before July...

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer