• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AVGoncalves

AVGoncalves

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hi, I'm Looking for a arm set to my Aquatica 5D mark II and the strobe sea&sea YS-D1.

Aquatica TLC or U.L.C.S

Which one is better?

thank you

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Honestly, I think arms are arms.  There'll be a few nuances to clamp designs and the angular flexibility between arms they allow, and a few finish or weight differences.  But in the end they'll all be banged up and scratched, with oxidation around the clamp springs, squeak and scare the fish away when you adjust them, and o-rings will dry out and crack and need replacement.

I've always had a preference for the look of the big wheel grips on the TLC clamps, they just look more comfortable to operate and more grippable in gloves.  But somehow I've always been a used arm scavenger, and ended up somehow with more of the 'infinity-sign' type grips from ULCS or some of the lesser known copycats.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#3 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have both ULCS and TLC and my ULCS look older than the TLC arms even though they are a lot newer.   My TLC arms look as good as new and never seem to have salt build ups on them and no orings to break when you are in the middle of nowhere, although they are more expensive and harder (for me) to get hold off but in the long run i think they are a good buy. 

i think it is much like all things in UW photography and is subject to personal preference and availability as well as price.

Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquatica, TLC, U.L.C.S, ULCS