• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Julian D

Julian D

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hi.  I already have a tokina 10-17 but want to get to get a topside wide angle lens (for my D7000).  It seems a shame not to get one that will also be useful for underwater use one day.

The nikon 10-24 looks ideal but it a bit out of my price range at the moment so I was thinking maybe a tokina 11-16 or the sigma 10-20 which would have a mode useful zoom range.

Any comments on these two lenses and/or any other recommendations?  I'd like to photograph whales at some stage so I'm really after a lens that could handle that sort of thing too....

Thanks

#2 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

Are you planning a future change to FX?

Wideangle is a bi of an issue here. Since, it is not really useful to run a FX Wideangle Lense on a DX body.

I used a Sigma 10-20mm ( variable aperture) and I was reasonably satisfied with it.

However, I found it a bit soft towards the edges.For the price not bad though.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#3 john70490

john70490

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

I second Erik's suggestion. The Sigma 10-20mm is a very useful compromise both on land and underwater. You may be able to find a good used one. I did and it cost me less than $250 plus shipping.

Olympus E-MP1, 14-42mm and Micro 60mm lenses, Olympus PT-EP06 housing with standard port, dual Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes, La Luz Optics L-800 and Light-For-Me 3XML video lights.
Web album: http://johngulliver.smugmug.com/

#4 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

Hi.  I already have a tokina 10-17 but want to get to get a topside wide angle lens (for my D7000).  It seems a shame not to get one that will also be useful for underwater use one day.

The nikon 10-24 looks ideal but it a bit out of my price range at the moment so I was thinking maybe a tokina 11-16 or the sigma 10-20 which would have a mode useful zoom range.

Any comments on these two lenses and/or any other recommendations?  I'd like to photograph whales at some stage so I'm really after a lens that could handle that sort of thing too....

Thanks

I have been having the same idea regarding best topside wide angle lens for my Nikon D7000 and I have choosen the Tokina 11-16mm.  I have seen them on Ebay for $525 new and also on Australian ebay selling for just over $400 with little use.  It seems alot of people boiught them and then changed to FX. 

Kenrockwell has a review on this lens which he discribes as the best wide angle lens for DX cameras and its not even a Nikon or Canon lens!........heres the review: http://www.kenrockwe...ina/11-16mm.htm

Regarding shooting whales are you looking at shooting them underwater or topside? Underwater I suggest with sticking to the Tokina 10-17mm especailly for Minke whales on the GBR and when your chasing down Humpbacks in Tonga on the surface the Tokina behind a mini dome is more streamlined and makes it easier to approach them. Shooting Whales topside you really need a fast telephoto and friends who shoot Humpabacks locally use something like the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 as the lens of choice.

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#5 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

I believe that a used Sigma 10-20mm is a pretty good bang for the Buck.

I would also have a look at the Tokinas, 11-16 & 12-24 as well.

It depends a bit on how much money that you want to pay for it.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

I used successfully the Tokina 12-24 mm on my D90 and D7000.
As it is a rectilinear lens it will work great on land and with the right dome well under water as well.

Rectilinear zoom lenses are known for creating soft corners but a +3 diopter usually help to get rid of them.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#7 Julian D

Julian D

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.  It's just dawned on me that the the "true" cost of using the lens underwater includes the cost of any extensions/zoom gears I also have to buy (Aquatica housing).  It looks like if I stay with tokina I'll be able to use the extension for my 10-17.

I'm going to look at the lenses you have all recommended and check out both the cost of the lens plus any extensions etc I aready have.  I'll post the analysis here in case anyone is interested.

Regarding the tokina 11-16 yes it looks like a great lens.  Do you find the limited zoom range is an issue?

No plan to switch to FX at the stage.

Thanks

#8 Julian D

Julian D

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

As per my earlier post here is a quick analysis of the real cost of getting the different lens options operational. 

One of the Tokina lenses makes sense from a $ perspective (and less gear to carry), unless the sigma is a lot better. Which tokina would you get? I have both 8in and 4 in domes.

Thanks

Attached Images

• lens prices.jpg

#9 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

also, consider whether the lens will fit in your dome! I had the tokina 11-16mm and it would not fit in the type III subal dome I have. another thing to consider!