5 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi all together,

I wait until my Nauticam housing for my GH3 arrives  :lol2: ....in the meantime I think about the best format to store/make my videos? What do you think? Disc space is not an option...same with processor power for post production...I thought abot AVCHD 50p?

Regards, Sascha

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

The highest format the camera allows because H264 has timeline compression so don't think that 20 Mbps at 25p is better than 28 Mbps it is not

So yes AVCHD higher spec is better also because it is high profile versus the baseline profile of Mp4 that makes it less efficient

The issue will be processing the AVCHD mts streams

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I seem to remember that the ALL-I codec had some issue. Just search on Personal-View.

Bye

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

72 mbps without temporal conversion is like the apple intermediate codec versus h264 28 mbps high profile. I believe that except specific situations there is a ration of more than 1:5 in efficiency so between 28 mbps with temporal compression and 72 mbps without I would go for the first

However I think you will need to test it by yourself. Temporal compressions is very efficient in underwater video is not that fast moving in the end temporal compression works well

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

Forget AVCHD and use the 50 Mb/s MOV stream. Its easier for the NLE-software to handle and the high bitrate gives a nice quality bonus.

#6 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

I seem to remember that the ALL-I codec had some issue. Just search on Personal-View.

Bye

On the GH3 the IPB-codec is 50 Mb/s and the I-codec is 70 Mb/s. There is a general concensus in the post production world that an Intra based codec needs to have 100 Mb/s to give the same compression quality as a 50 Mb/s IPB-codec.

Edited by EspenB, 16 May 2013 - 03:23 AM.