• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 spearfrenzy

spearfrenzy

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

This just popped up... I have a BMCC EF mount camera and its amazing what it can do. I've been dreaming of taking it underwater for some time now. This is the first housing I've seen. The only concern is that the camera has a built in battery thats almost useless. I dont see where this case has an external battery solution? Either built into the housing or room for one like a switronyx or other brands? I could have overlooked it but this is crucial. You will only get a MAX of maybe 1 hour with the camera before its dead. Thats not an hour of video but an hour of messing around with the camera on, framing shots, recording, swimming around etc.. Not ideal. Would be one thing if you could go swap the internal out for a spare and get back in but not an option. Regardless I think this is the start of a really cool thing! Plus it'll fit the current 2.5k model and the new 4K model since they are the same body!!   http://www.backscatt...u/ex-bmcc.lasso  

This topic was originally discussed here:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=50046

Sorry for the edit! :)

#2 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

Hummm I don't think you could accomodate an extra battery. The housing seems to be quite bulk...

Why don't you ask to backscatter or directly to Equinox?

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#3 spearfrenzy

spearfrenzy

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I will. Just saw it and its Sunday... :)

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Well the other concern I would have is physics and the proximity of the lens to the dome port apex.   Since it seems to be customizable to whatever lens you require,, the physics of the virtual image would limit the custom housing to lenses of similar nodal points and physical size.  That would limit lens options.  Looks like the front portion of the housing is the customizable length for various lenses,  
I just received the Ikan Blackmagic Battery Mount for the Sony L series batteries, so I can still use the old batteries I have to extend recording. The nice thing about the Ikan is that it can be mounted pretty much anywhere.  Looking at the Equinox pictures, the side of the tube doesn't seem to have enough space for the plug in the side so one will have to modify the plug to fit.
The good news is that the housing back plate shows the BMCC is possible and the BMPCC 4k will definitely be an exciting camera for other manufacturers with extension rings.
What Equinox should do is what Aquavideo did with their Red One housings and adapt the housing to fit an existing  manufacturer's ports and extensions or even make it's own accessory extensions rings. That would give the housing so much more flexibility.
But you are very correct that every housing manufacturer will have to make provisions for an extended battery system because of the built in battery limitations.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

I must be missing something. Did Equinox solved the touch screen issue or are they using Lanc? Enlighten me please? The 4K version is not out yet so it must be for 2.5K model but this still goes back to my first question - touch screen?

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

David It's touchscreen:

ex-bmcc_3.jpg

The BMCC and BMPCC4k use the same body so it doesn't matter. Continuity is a blessing for housing manufacturers! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Drew. I understand what touch screen is. There are several types. Capacitive, resistive and wave transducer. BNCC  screen is capacitive so it needs fingers in contact with the screen. Looking at this housing I guess they have worked out way to conduct that through the buttons? Can anyone verify that?

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#8 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

actually no rocket science here :)

They used capacitive rubber like that used on common tablet pencils:

http://www.amazon.co...let pen,aps,337

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#9 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Thanks Davide.

Mystery solved. For stupid me.

So no excuse for other manufacturers then.....LOL

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hehe, I thought you already knew it was capacitive. Sorry.  There was never an excuse for any manufacturer except market.  Blackmagic has been slow to deliver, so I can imagine they are hesitant to commit until it's more widespread.

Drew

#11 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Good news and thanks to Equinox for being the first. Actually I was anticipating a housing from them as usual due to their simple cylindrical design. Although ergonomic is not that good, it is not that bad.

But you are very correct that every housing manufacturer will have to make provisions for an extended battery system because of the built in battery limitations.

Drew, very good recommendation. May be the battery can fit between the lens and the side of the housing if it is small enough.

How good is the acrylic as a dome port? Does it impact the image quality badly?

Regards,
Thani
Best Regards,
Thani

#12 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I doubt the 6" inch port would satisfy some of the fast wide angle lenses for the EF mount. More importantly ergonomics plays a big part in getting proper and precise control. I have not seen the gearing for zoom and focus in this housing. Not many UW housing manufacturers could get that right. They still use the bigger tooth/rougher gear pitch and very short throw. I think larger ring and 0.8 pitch like those on cinema lenses would help. Aperture setting in this case would have to be touch screen.  Unless someone has used this with the 2.5K  BMDCC model I am not entirely convinced. Maybe on the price I guess if a budget housing is what the work requires.

The 4K version could be six month or even longer away. In Singapore BMDCC is delivering at a drip pace and except for a few early adopters no one is shooting these at productions. I have cancelled mine for the MFT version now I have to cancel that in favour of the 4K....more wait wait wait.

Cheers

D

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Iris control is actually done with 3 physical buttons David. The IRIS button on the top left, then REW and FF on the bottom control panel.

Re the port, I'd test that.  With a 2.4x crop, it may just work with a 6" dome.  Maybe the Arri 6mm may have issues with corners but I doubt even the 7-14 will.  I'll sell you my BMCC @ new price without GST! :)

Drew

#14 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

With Da vinci resolve 10? ;)

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Err that's shipping Q3.

Drew

#16 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

May be the Resolve 10 is for the 4K version :) ? Or free upgrade from 9.  

cheers

#17 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Just saw the BMCC4K at NAB.  At the price point, it will be a tough one to match.  Am excited to see it hit the market, along with more housings for it.  Am curious if we'll see housings for the BMPC (link below) as well.

http://www.blackmagi...ketcinemacamera

#18 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

The "pocket rocket"BMDCC camera I am sure will outsell the other 4K camera. At under 1K USD its a no brainer for lots of people. It is a movie specific camera  and useful as B or C camera in tight situations or as a crash cam. Or a multicopter cam.  It will definitely eat into Go Pro 3 territory unless Go Pro comes out with a changeable lens POV cam.

From the specs point of view...2K prores is still very relevant. Faster workflow and less "frightening' in terms of post production hardware requirement. Just my opinion but I think UW manufacturers will not ignore this camera. It s not even reality until BMD delivers so a few months for design and prototyping then may be third or last quarter of this year before you see one. I hope to get the camera first and if the size fits I will modify some other housing and do some tests. I really like the MFT mount. Just about any lens could be adapted and used.

Right after the NAB hype the litmus test is delivery. No confirmed shipping dates and no out in the wild footage shot and graded yet.........wait wait wait.

cheers

Edited by CheungyDiver, 17 April 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

I don't see why housing manufacturers can't approach BMD for the mockup as a design sample.

Drew

#20 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Or rapid prototype one. I know of someone already doing just that. Plastic 3D printing.

He must have used a hand held laser 3D scanner. The pace of technology is scary these days.