Photo
- - - - -

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera: Yes there will be housings!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

A poor man's lumix lens
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#22 Timccr

Timccr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

But which one because I don't think there is m43 that would give enough angle of view. 

#23 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

But which one because I don't think there is m43 that would give enough angle of view. 

Hi Tim,

I thought you were joking (like me). Gear used is written in the video description on vimeo. And no, it's not a BMPCC :)

Shot on a Panasonic GH2 + Lumix 8mm fisheye loaded with Lee Powell’s Flow Motion 2.02 settings; Nauticam Housing and 2x FIX Aquavolt3500 lights.

BTW the lens is way too wide for optimal video use. A correct illumination is  a PITA to obtain. I like very much the rectilinear 7-14mm.

Here it's full of solonians ;) it's a great lens...

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Davide, the point of forums is to discuss the realms of possibilities and nuances that may not be considered.  Even Ryan started thinking about the Ultra Prime 6mm as a possibility and I'm sure if he saw the Century 6mm with adapter, he'll probably be convinced.  Now is it practical to get T stop, focus gears etc on a small housing? Most probably not, but hey neither is getting a RAW or even a Pro Res camera, even @ under $1k. :)

Ryan,

Going back to the 7-14 Lumix, I remembered it showed low distortion because it is software corrected in stills. Were your tests using still software that is corrected or video that's uncorrected?  My notes say CA but also barrel distortion @ 7-10mm.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 Timccr

Timccr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hi Davide,

I am living in Palermo and want to film some of the nice deep wrecks here so your videos are really interesting. I am not sure that the 7 - 14mm would always be wide enough on a S16 sensor and that was why I wondered what you might use on a pocket camera. Since there are not any housings yet it is all speculation but we can hope.

#26 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Davide, the point of forums is to discuss the realms of possibilities and nuances that may not be considered.  Even Ryan started thinking about the Ultra Prime 6mm as a possibility and I'm sure if he saw the Century 6mm with adapter, he'll probably be convinced.  Now is it practical to get T stop, focus gears etc on a small housing? Most probably not, but hey neither is getting a RAW or even a Pro Res camera, even @ under $1k. :)

Ryan,
Going back to the 7-14 Lumix, I remembered it showed low distortion because it is software corrected in stills. Were your tests using still software that is corrected or video that's uncorrected?  My notes say CA but also barrel distortion @ 7-10mm.

The point of forums should be to let users to take an informed decision. The paradox on the interweb is that it's full of people speaking of what sex an angel is. There's space for everything of course, but when the noise increase (nuances that may not be considered) forums like this loose sense.
It happens dozen of times. Every time you google for buying a smartphone, a camera, a car... you will find someone complaining about the most exotic nuances.

MFT is probably the most versatile mount/size as today. It's not just chance that it's the second BM camera designed with this mount. You can mount nearly everything. I used for fun on my GH2 the most exotic lenses with cheap adapters.
The problem is that 90% of camera manufacturers and users don't even suspect that you can bring a camera underwater. Hence 90% of housings have ports for standard or most common lenses. You have some exception like the latest Red camera housings (but, again, we are speaking of a complete setup in excess of 30K euro).
My bet on upcoming BMPCC housings is that you will have something like Nauticam mirrorless line: a simple yet bulletproof design with standard acrylic ports for current m43 lenses. They already have everything ready. Hence forget about Tokina 11-16 or other wonderful cinema lenses. Nobody will design a custom ring adapter for manual focus or zoom for a 995$ camera.... We will see. Of course I hope to loose my bet.

BTW 7-14mm is one of the best wide angle lens out there. Tack sharp with minimum distortion and CA in real word use. Just search for it on Vimeo. I forgot that here we are filming pool tiles alll the day
Distortion is corrected in camera and it works perfectly with video too, also on Olympus bodies.
AFAIK the BMPCC has an active MFT mount so it should work. Actually a lot of people have a lot of questions on "active mount" definition.

@Timccr: you have a lot of amazing spots just near you. If you are a wreck lover i suggest to not miss the VALFIORITA near Messina: better than the THISTLEGORM.
I know that wide angle shots will likey be a problem with the BMPCC crop factor but again, sadly nobody cares fo underwater filming while designing a camera
I hope to see some BMPCC sample with the 7-14mm soon. This is what you can expect from the 7-14 on MFT mount:

Bye

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Davide, that is my point. The lens correction for the 7-14 is done by software in Panasonic cameras or computer.  So using it on a camera like the BMPCC, where the active mounts just provide power for APERTURE, IS and maybe AF control.  
Active mounts like the Redrock adapters all do similar for the M43-EF mount. It simply provides power for lenses to function.  Distortion and CA I doubt will be removed in camera since it's recording in lossless compressed cinema DNG.  It'd be a nice additional feature if it could. But I think if anywhere, it will be done in post since it's DNG and possible through Photoshop. I don't think AE can do that on profile, but obviously it can do it with a lot of work.
Shooting color and res charts, even pool walls may seem funny, but most professionals do testing for a reason, so they know what look they are going to get with what lens etc.  I know most of the productions on location test new equipment.  It'd be silly not to.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#28 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

This could be a real game changer.  Glad to see housings are in development for it.

#29 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Does anyone know when Black Magic will be prepared to actually start shipping?

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#30 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

On B&H they are saying 25 July and over at www.newsshooter.com there is a recent interview with some one at Black Magic at the Broadcast Asia show saying that they are not expecting any delays.

Edited by MJvC, 22 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#31 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

In the spirit of the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. . .

The Blackmagic site says that we can Canon or Nikon lenses on their system with a readily available adapter.  That sounds great as these lenses are good quality and have the distinct advantage of being already paid for.  What is the disadvantages?  Lack of ports for UW use?  

Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#32 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

In the spirit of the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. . .

The Blackmagic site says that we can Canon or Nikon lenses on their system with a readily available adapter.  That sounds great as these lenses are good quality and have the distinct advantage of being already paid for.  What is the disadvantages?  Lack of ports for UW use?  

The adapters are definitely available.  At NAB, they had an enormous Fujinon Cinema Prime mounted on the BMPC camera.  The lens was literally 30 times the size/weight of the camera.

The downside to most of these adapters is that they often do not have connections to allow use of some lens functions like AF or IS. So, the lens becomes a fully manual lens.  I am new to DSLR housings, but I suspect that manual focus underwater is more difficult and time/air consuming than AF.

#33 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Wondering what would be a good choice of a lens for this pocket camera for topside shooting?  

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#34 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Lumix 14mm is one of the most versatile and cheap.

Take in account that the camera is 3x...

#35 harrizonb

harrizonb

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hey, my first post so hello to all.  This camera blows me out the water.  I had some thoughts on this regarding using it for underwater shooting and was hoping for some people to help me out.  I have found this article really helpful, breaking down all the information on the camera, give recommends on a whole host of lens and converts http://wolfcrow.com/...-focus-systems/ .  Now a lot of people love the fact that you can put lots of lens on but for underwater shooting, I personally would like my camera to be able to auto focus, so I can quickly capture the video I want, I want a nice wide lens, and want a lens which is going to be stabilised/sharp so I do have to worry about any wobble in my image... apart from anything which might be created with the wobbling of the sensor (I don't know if it does, I know on DSLR set ups it does).

1) I leaned that the blackmagic pocket has an active MFT mount, which allows you to control the autofocus and IRIS controls, provided you have the right lens.  This makes the camera compatible lenses (from the list, acquired from the link above) the Panasonic or Olympus models.

2) For what I want to film at present, I need a good wide shot.  With Panasonic 8mm f/3.5 ED Fisheye Lens I will get, with the 2.88 crop factor, the equivalent of a 23mm lens.  When I take this underwater this no longer going to be wide angle.  If a company made a wet fish eye lens for this camera do you know if it will take it down to wide angle or not?

3) does any one know any dates on when any underwater unit will be released?

Edited by harrizonb, 29 July 2013 - 04:33 AM.

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well, it's started shipping in small quantities, according to their press release:

The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is now shipping and there is a software update for it posted on our web site.

There are some new features in the software for the Pocket Cinema Camera. You can now focus by pushing the focus button when using an active MFT lens. This makes it very easy to accurately focus. The focus peaking feature is still there and you enable it by double pressing the focus button. The focus zoom feature is enabled by double pressing the OK button.

Drew

#37 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Harrizonb,

I think the 2.88 crop factor is from a 35mm format. Since the Panasonic 8mm fisheye has no crop factor on M34 and 43 sensors, as it is designed for that format it would make more sense to look at the angle of view with the two sensors.

If the 8mm lens has an AOV of 180 degrees on the M43/43 sensors which are 17.3 X 13mm then on a 12.48 (long side) sensor it should have an AOV of around 130 degrees still quite wide.

Panasonic 7-14 should go from around 114-75 degrees to around 82-54 degrees.

Phil Rudin

#38 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

This is a partial letter I received from Black Magic's press relations individual..

Hi Steve - 

FYI on several Blackmagic Design camera updates:
  • Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction: We have worked very hard over the last year to be able to build the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at a lower cost, and we wanted those savings to translate directly to customers to boost the creative possibilities among a wider range of cinematographers and photographers. From today the Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and MFT models will be reduced in price to US$1,995. All orders placed that have not yet been filled can be reduced to the new lower price. The advantage of the 2.5K sensor is that it has enough resolution to eliminate the bayer resolution loss of an HD sensor, but when shooting RAW, it produces files that are not too big to store and work with easily. The full press release is below my signature.
  • Camera Update: The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is now shipping, and there is a software update for it posted on our website on the support page. Users can now focus by pushing the focus button when using an active MFT lens. This makes it very easy to accurately focus. The focus peaking feature is still there, and you enable it by double pressing the focus button. The focus zoom feature is enabled by double pressing the OK button. 
    • The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is not yet shipping, as we need some more time. Our first batch of sensors was delivered only this week, so we have not been able to complete the software for the camera. We expect to start shipping in about three to four weeks once the final software work and testing are completed.
We also have several updates on associated production / post technology:
  • HyperDeck Software 3.8: This update adds 6G-SDI support on the output for HyperDeck Studio Pro and adds on screen menus to both HyperDeck Studio models, where users can set formats and other features. New ethernet remote control support has also been added. This allows users to connect HyperDeck to a network, set the IP address of the HyperDeck in the menu and then Telnet into the HyperDeck to get control. If you type play, the HyperDeck will play and if you type stop, then HyperDeck will stop. You can get clip lists and all kinds of control functions. Additional details can be found in the instruction manual. This update is free of charge and on our website now.
  • DaVinci Resolve 9.1.5: We have a small software update for DaVinci Resolve 9 that adds improved compatibility with Avid Media Composer 7.0 round trip, supports reel names in Final Cut Pro X XML, adds support for Avid EuControl Software Package Version 3.0, improves handling of multi track Quicktime audio files and adds improved Cinema DNG file format support. This update is available for download from our website.
  • Desktop Video 9.7.7: This new software update now adds support for the 4K DCI modes and adds improved compatibility for HDMI on the UltraStudio 4K and the DeckLink 4K Extreme models. We have also improved support for Avid Media Composer for the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and DeckLink Mini Recorder models. This software update is available now for download from our website.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#39 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Here are a few clips in Pro Res.  Unfortunately I can't watch these yet.

http://bit.ly/14MnPkK

Drew

#40 Timccr

Timccr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

I just spotted that the Nauticam housing for the BM pocket camera is on the Nauticam Australia website as coming soon. Here's the link:

http://www.nauticam....mera/index.html

So now I am wondering about a WA lens again. Does anyone know how to figure out what the 8mm FE would look like on a Pocket Camera? Can you just use the same crop factor as for a rectilinear lens with a fisheye?

Tim