Photo
- - - - -

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera: Yes there will be housings!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Is Metabone still coming out with a lens booster? Would be ace if there is one for MTF from EF lenses

I read somewhere it would be available late 2013/early 2014, so it should be in the shops just in time for when the Pocket Camera actually starts shipping to real people! :D

Then again there may be a delay on the horizon with the 'sensor bloom' the first beta testers (erm I mean customers) have been seeing.  Looks nasty and very similar to the way the FS100 handles highlights!!  Oh no not again!!!

#62 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

A certain someone has got notice of shipment of a BMPCC.  I say... is that a bulge in your pants a blackmagic pocket camera or are you just happy to shoot RAW DNG.... oh wait you can't yet until the firmware upgrade!  :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#63 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Thats a very good line ................

#64 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

'sensor bloom'

Intentional or unintentional pun?  LOL

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#65 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

it should be in the shops just in time for when the Pocket Camera actually starts shipping to real people! :D

Mmmmm.................................. :cake:  :cake:  :cake:  :cake:  :cake:

#66 Paulmcmurrick

Paulmcmurrick

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

Well, mine has arrived
Great camera. Suspect my love affair will be enduring, but there is one very major issue for uw use

On land, using a non IS lens, the standard battery lasts about 12-15 minutes. Yes, you read it right

In UW, with an IS lens, with the viewer left on and a few pushes of the autofocus button it will be even worse

This unit is enormously power hungry
To make his work uw will require either a quantum leap in battery technology or a power source sitting in the housing
If you think I am exaggerating, then have a look at Phillip Bloom's review

Not sure how this one will be solved

#67 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Well, mine has arrived
Great camera. Suspect my love affair will be enduring, but there is one very major issue for uw use

On land, using a non IS lens, the standard battery lasts about 12-15 minutes. Yes, you read it right

In UW, with an IS lens, with the viewer left on and a few pushes of the autofocus button it will be even worse

This unit is enormously power hungry
To make his work uw will require either a quantum leap in battery technology or a power source sitting in the housing
If you think I am exaggerating, then have a look at Phillip Bloom's review

Not sure how this one will be solved

Many thanks PaulMCMurrick

For letting us know. Was your version the first batch or later batch with the firmware fix for highlight bloom/black holes?  Would love to see some actual UW footage......

I reckon something like a USB powerbank for mobiles could do the job. Housing will have to be bigger which defeats the purpose of a compact camera.

Tekkeon-2.jpg

thanks again. Useful to know.

Cheers

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#68 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

"If you think I am exaggerating, then have a look at Phillip Bloom's review"

Could you post the url for Philip Bloom's review?

Thanks

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#69 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

http://philipbloom.n...3/pocketvideos/

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#70 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

On Bloom's review there's no mention of these runtime.

A lot of reviews states that the unit it's power hungry but reported times are double (at least).

One of the latest report:

http://www.eoshd.com...rt-1-worth-hype

Run times were -

• Live-view standby with active lens and OIS (14-140mm) – 1 hour 8 minutes with genuine Nikon EN-EL20 (1020mAh).
  • Live-view standby with passive lens (Bolex 16mm F2.0 c-mount) - 1 hour 12 minutes with same battery
  • As above (passive lens) but with supplied 800mAh Blackmagic Mini Battery – 1 hour 5 minutes
  • Continuously recording (passive lens,genuine Nikon EN-EL20 and ProRes to SanDisk Extreme 95MB/s SDHC) – 1 hour 4 minutes

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#71 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Bloom does mention in the text on this page http://philipbloom.n...7/pocketcamera/ that he went through 5 batteries to get only 50 minutes of footage, but admits that this was because he had the camera on standby with live-view on a lot of the time. I guess he would have got a lot more more out of the batteries if he had switched it off. Even so, it seems those little batteries don't last long. Should do you for one dive, though!

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#72 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

You are right but IMHO at the moment there are other most important drawbacks for underwater use:

I saw some really incredible land footage. It's a tool that in the proper hands can deliver amazing results but I think that at the moment it's better suited in a controlled environment (studio set) than as a run&gun tool.

http://www.luminous-...et_camera.shtml

The screen is at least two generations behind the mainstream manufacturers in terms of contrast and brightness. It is also physically extremely soft. In fifteen years of using, testing and working with digital cameras on all six continents and in extreme conditions I have never scratched a rear LCD. Yet somehow I managed to scratch a big hole in the BMPCC's LCD screen on the first day or field use. I have no idea how, but I now have a group of about a dozen bright yellow pixels engraved permanently at the top left of my screen

Camera arrived with one visible hot pixel, and also a large dust booger on the sensor. The dust was easily removed with a blower, but the hot pixel is there forever unless Black Magic comes up with a sensor refresh mode, which many camera makers offer.

There is no in-camera card formatting, no file erase, no thumbnail review. More importantly, there is no indication of the amount of time left on the card. Camera can not remember the last aperture used when the lens is changed or the camera restarted.

Autofocus is, to put it politely, a work in progress. It doesn't work with all lenses. Indeed it seems to only work with a few lenses, and when it does work with these lenses it does so in a slow and inconsistent manner. Pressing the Focus button puts a white square on the center of the screen and the lens then starts to slowly autofocus. Maybe.

I'll be gentle. The audio in the BMPCC sucks. Problem is not just the tiny in-camera mic, but the audio pre-amps as well.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#73 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

Well RAW has arrived for this little camera. Record times approximately 20 mins at 24fps on a 64gb card.
Has anyone tried this camera underwater yet.

#74 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Chris Parsons and Christian Dimitrius are at Tiger Beach today testing the Nauticam NA-BMPCC prototype housing.

#75 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

http://www.blackmagi...releaseID=48061

Love it or hate it the digital imaging arms race is bludgeoning ahead.... Now the little pocket rocket could record CinemaDNG and works natively with Black Magic Resolve 10. I can't wait to see some test footage. UW Housing manufacturers really need to take heed the demand for power this little dynamo needs unless we have batteries made of Dilithium Crystals we need space for a wodger of a battery. 

here is a link to some top side tests: 

looks promising except for the moire on the car grille!

#76 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi,

I am new to BMPCC and so as the CinemaDNG raw file.

Can anyone help me to draw a workflow after filming the raw file ? My main purpose is for personal use.

Which software is capable to edit the raw file?

Is it better to run the editing on a Mac ? What minimal specification of Mac can do the job well ?

Sorry for so many questions, thank you very much for all your help in advance !!

Regards

Edmond

#77 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Da Vinc Resolve 10 will read it natively. You could colour grade and debayer the footage and then transcode to Prores. Then you could edit in PremPro or Final Cut X

As for hardware the new Mac pro or even high spec PC with GTX Titan GPU. All this is not necessary if you just want good enough for personal or for the web. The BMPCC does record Prores as well that could be edited in FCX in a Mac book Pro. 

CinemaDNA+G raw will need lots of storage back up. Unless you are doing this seriously and get some form of income from the footage then it is a big expenditure for just a hobby. Then again this has not deterred many enthusiasts...

Others super experts should chime in soon....

cheers

#78 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for the advice !!! Great !!!

Edmond

#79 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

http://fisheye-jp.co...mpcc/index.html :clapping:

#80 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

Wow, thanks for this. It looks like a black gem.
Three challenges with BMPCC:
1) fast wide angle lens,
2) Low light performance,
3) battery life (can be solved by Nauticam)

If size & money isn't an issue & If one to choose between BMCC 2.5k vs BMPCC, which one will win?
Best Regards,
Thani