• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 balagan

balagan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I have been using an Olympus e-520 for the last 4 years and have finally decided to make a change of system. So I've just ordered the new Nikon D7100, along with the Nikkor 105mm, 60mm lens. I've also ordered the Tokina 10-17 as well as a Kenko 1.4 TC (Teleplus Pro 300).

I am also putting together the list for Nauticam goodies that I need for my new setup.

So my questions are as follows.

Is it better to get seperate ports for the 105 and 60, or will the port extension(21130) on the 60mm port be functional enough for the 105 - and will the focus gear still work?

I've noticed in the port system chart the extension ring for the Tokina port if you marry it with the Teleconverter. Can this extension also be used with the 60mm and 105mm ports if I marry them up with the Teleconverter, and will the focus gears still work?

Basically I'm looking for the most flexible and practical setup for my nice new system.

Also I currently have the Reefnet flip diopter holder that fits on my Olympus port. Does anyone know the measurement for the Nauticam ports as it would be nice if I didn't need to buy a new holder.

Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by balagan, 21 April 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

According to Nauticam's system chart you can use the 60 with the "macro port 60" and the 105 with the "extension ring 30"+"macro port 60", and their focus rings should work with this configuration. But before getting the rings, make sure you want to use manual focus! I would not get separate ports, we want to minimize weight and gear when traveling.

For your second question, the extension ring for the Tokina 10-17 + TC is different than that for the 105, it will be either the 20 or 40 depending on the dome port that you chose. Check this for more detailed info:

http://www.nauticam....ystem_chart.pdf

As for your last question, given the costs for your new Nauticam housing and ports (not to mention camera and lenses), I think a new diopter holder will be the least of your worries ;) (and I am sure they will not be the same).

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 balagan

balagan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Thanks.

What I wanted to know as it doesn't seem to be covered in the system chart was what combination would I need to use the TC with my 105mm or 60mm?

#4 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

For flat ports it is really simple, you just need to add an extension that is the same length as the TC. The length of the extensions are their numbers, extension 20 is 20mm, 30 is 30mm, etc. Remember that for the 105 you will need to add the 30 from the original extension, so either two extensions or one that is 30mm+the converter length. But my question is, why would you put a TC on the 60 if you have the 105? The 1.4 TC on the 60 would essentially make it a very slow focusing 90, which is very close in focal length to the 105, but the latter is faster to focus and probaly better IQ when compared to the 60+TC...

P.S.: With the TC you will probably lose the ability to manual focus, unless Nautical has a special focus gear for lens+TC (which I don't think they do).

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#5 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

As previously stated the extensions are generally the better way. You get 1 more O-ring, but 1 port less to log on Flights.

If you are not flying for your diving, then it is a slightly different issue.

I have the macro 60 and the 30mm extension ring. It works just fine.

If you want to put something like a 50mm(FX) . I assume the same goes for the 35m (DX). Then the Macro port is vignetting ( the opening is too small).

Then Nauticam has standard Flatports, as well. I find it worth going for the Macro port anyway.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#6 balagan

balagan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Good point about the 60mm and need for the TC.

Will be interesting to see what the in camera 1.3 crop does with the 105mm when married with my Subsees. If I can put the 1.4 kenko on as well then I should be able to get some good Macro. We have some very small Nudis in the UAE.

#7 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

Balagan

I was talking to local Hugyfot about housing for D800 and they recommend me to use the same port for 105VR and 60macro, with extension tubes.

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#8 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

The 105 is a fat lens. Make sure that the extension actually works.

#9 balagan

balagan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

The 105 is a fat lens. Make sure that the extension actually works.

The new camera and lenses arrived today, the 105mm is a bit fat.......but she is pretty :)

#10 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Balagan,

the 105mm + subsee is sufficient for most nudi's in the UAE.  adding the TC really limits your dive and you get a lot of misses due to the really narrow depth of field with that setup.  not to mention it weights a ton...  and the TC and diopter will mean that you will probably squash the nudi's as your focus ditance will be so small. 

I tried manual focus with the old 105mm but with the new VR one i don't find that it hunts as much and so i have a full auto flat port and neve use the manual port!  60mm and 1.4x TC is really slow an annoying on AF so just use the 105mm and flip up Diopter for Inchcape II ;)

Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com