9 replies to this topic

#1 divergal42

divergal42

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:photography, u/w & wildlife, botanical macros, hiking,

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've just switched from a D60 in a Sea&Sea RDX housing, using Nikkor 10-24 mm lens in a compact glass dome port;  it's not mating well with my new Nauticam D7000 housing and since I travel a lot, want to keep the port smallish - I have a suggestion of a Zen 170 mm "mini dome" with a Nauticam 50 mm extension ring - comments, experience, advice?  I do shoot big and close as often as I can: humpbacks, whale sharks, dolphins, giant mantas and up coming great white shoot - thanks very, very much in advance!

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Divergal42,

I believe the Zen mini domes are designed for fisheyes like the 15mm Sigma, 10.5mm Nikkor FE and the Tokina 10-17mm. 

If your shooting big and close then the Nikkon 10-24mm lens isnt wide enough in my opinion.  Its a rectangular wideangle lens with a maxium field of view of 109 degrees.  Compared to the Tokina 10-17mm maxium field of view of about 180 degree and a minium field of view of 100 degree.  So the tokina is zoomed into 17mm its field of view is still wider than the Nikkon 10-24mm @ 10mm. 

My suggestion would be to get the Tokina 10-17mm and the Zen mini dome which it was designed for.  The Tokina 10-17mm is the best DX lens for shooting big and close.

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#3 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Totally agree with Mark, since i have got the 10-17mm i do not even consider the other WA lenses in my collection.  no competition.  and using the mini Domes allows you to get close without scaring animals or damaging delicate fauna. and if you wish to switch to CFWA then a 1.4x teleconvertor and an extension ring add even more flexibility to the lens.

Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#4 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hi divergal42,

I can see the appeal of the 10-24mm and have been trialling it myself although for a different subject type (Seadragons). I've often seen it or

similar recommended for White Shark cage diving where you don't necessarily get as close as you need for the 10-17mm Fisheye. There is of

course the distortion of Fisheye, which is albeit less at the 17mm end, that may not appeal to you at times.

I'm finding the Nikkor 10-24mm DX works very well behind the Nexus 170mm dome with a 40mm extension, I think 50mm would give vignetting.

I'm about to try it  with Barry Guimbellot's excellent Baré compact domeport that I have. I'll be using with a 20mm extension ring and also have

the M5-M6 adapter ring that adds another few mm extension. If that works I'll have three different WA options with the one compact, streamlined

and travel friendly port. 10-17FE, 10-17FE + 1.4TC and 10-24 rectilinear. Stangely enough I can use both the 10-24 and 10-17 + 1.4 TC with

the Nexus 12-24 zoom gear.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#5 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Another factor is Zen mini domes are 100mm not 170mm.  There doesnt seem to be much information regarding the Zen 170mm and extensions with suit the Nikon 10-24mm.  Maybe a Nauticam/Zen representative can answer your question better. 

I still prefer the Tokina 10-17m and if you need extra reach the Kenko 1.4x TC makes the Tokina more versatile for big stuff and also CFWA work.  100mm mini dome is great for travel and fitting between the bars in a shark cage ;-).

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

#6 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Divergal42,

you mentioned the dome you have isn't mating well with your new housing. How so exactly, could it be possible to find a work around?

The points that lead me to the Baré compact dome rather than an upmarket glass dome were that it was acrylic, less expensive and

suitable for the lens I had and wanted. Best of course to check with any manufacturers as to extensions and suitable lens but I believe

Barry Guimbellot has mentioned on this forum that his dome is suitable for both Fisheye and Rectilinear WA lens. For me it was very

important to buy a dome that wasn't just for one lens. As I mentioned though I have yet to check for myself how well the 10-24 will go

behind the Baré dome.

I haven't had the joy of driving a 9" dome underwater but compact domes would have to be a lot easier if swimming after something

or as Mark mentioned getting between bars.

The only trade off I'm aware of so far is not suitable for Over/Under shots.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#7 divergal42

divergal42

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:photography, u/w & wildlife, botanical macros, hiking,

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hi Jim and Mark, I so much appreciate your generosity, time, experience and opinions.  I think the Zen 170 mm dome is pretty new, I also didn't find out much about it on their site - it was recommmended as a possibly good fit considering all the things you mentioned above - cost, but even more than that, the drag while kicking against currents, distant sites, etc., and also, the travel problems associated with a DSLR, housing, camera, 2 lenses, 2 ports, 2 strobes and all the accompanying arms, cords, light, batteries, chargers, plus dive gear.  It is a glass port, so that's nice, and it will be mated with a 40 mm extension ring - the research that Reef Photo did indicated the corners would be sharp but might need a diopter for CFWA - I'm going to give it a try.  The trouble with my Sea & Sea port is that it required both an adaptor and an extension, so the two rings were problematic for me to get apart (I'm not Mr. Atlas!). 

I'd love to still be able to do over/unders, but if that's the price for this "mini-dome", OK, I'll live with it.  I'm diving the SoCal oil rigs this weekend with the combo, so I'll let you know what I think!

I used the Nauticam with macro this weekend shore diving at Catalina Island and really really liked both the housing and the 60mm port - crisp, sharp shots, some at minimum focusing distance, the "eye" of a giant kelpfish in perfect focus, e.g.

Hats off to you!

Erin

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

Another factor is Zen mini domes are 100mm not 170mm.  There doesnt seem to be much information regarding the Zen 170mm and extensions with suit the Nikon 10-24mm.  Maybe a Nauticam/Zen representative can answer your question better. 

I still prefer the Tokina 10-17m and if you need extra reach the Kenko 1.4x TC makes the Tokina more versatile for big stuff and also CFWA work.  100mm mini dome is great for travel and fitting between the bars in a shark cage ;-).

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

What size extension ring are you using with the teleconverter? And are you using the Kenko telephoto PRO DGX?

Joe

Edited by Kelpfish, 04 July 2013 - 05:52 AM.

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Divergal42,

The Tokina 10-17mm is the best DX lens for shooting big and close.

Regards Mark

No: the Nikon 10.5mm is the best, just not as flexible in practice as you can't avoid having to get really close...

#10 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

Tim remind me why the 10.5 is the best?

Regards Mark