140 replies to this topic

#21 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

This is fab stuff. Particularly for underwater, where audio isn't usually a big issue. I can see I might have to get a housing for my Mark iii if this works out. 

Drew- do you have this latest Magic Lantern installed? And if so, where did you download it, I don't seem to be able to find it on the ML site. I know it's only very experimental at the moment, but keen to give it a go....

Edit- OK I've found it- I think.....Now I need a 1000x cf card.

Edited by Ferg42, 13 May 2013 - 03:44 AM.

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#22 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

https://bitbucket.or...ts/54537cb85d7d

Here. Don't blow up your 5D MIII.

:) You need this card   UDMA 1000x 128GB CF card or Similar

A friend of mine is uploading it into his 5D MIII- he is a computer genius. I will wait and see. Fire extinguisher at a ready. 

Edited by CheungyDiver, 13 May 2013 - 04:10 AM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#23 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

Here is an interesting summary: http://www.eoshd.com...non-5d-mark-iii

It should be noted that the HD RAW recording is available both in full frame mode and in a cropped mode (crop factor 2.9). Some other cropped resolutions will/might be 3592x1320, 2880x1320 and 2560x1080.

Edited by r4e, 13 May 2013 - 07:00 AM.

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Fergus It's a nightly (hourly) build. I have the continuous .raw capture installed from Sunday's build, but that one dropped frames. The new one apparently has fixed that issue.

Still not full res 1080/24p but close. Just be careful not to brick your camera. Pull the battery every time you shut down. A few have had scares with a non-booting 5D3! :) 

This is at the implantation stage of fetal development really.   I'd wait for a more stable build before I try recording past 4GB as the subsequent .RAW file doesn't expand into .DNG on my build.

Furthermore, the aliasing is noticeable with the higher resolution but not annoying. Never thought my WIN8 would be so used until this last weekend! :)   I can't help but think how Nikon could mop the floor with the D4. It has the XQD card speed and the smaller resolution sensor.  

Here is a comparison of the RAW capture (without dropped frames) and IPB from the 5D3:  

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the info CheungyDiver and Drew. It definitely looking promising. Just have to wait for a faster card to arrive. And maybe check that people don't start bricking their cameras with it in the meantime. Provided a stable, reliable version is reached, it seems to address most of the issues with DSLR video.

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well don't expect any miracles.  The 4GB file limit is still there. So it's maybe a bit past a minute of shooting RAW.  I just put in the latest build and will go out to the pool for a test with fast moving sugar crazed kids today.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

I'm still optimistic- not necessarily as an allround topside camera, but underwater I'd be happy with a one minute shot limit most of the time. Good luck with the sugar-crazed kids- I seem to be dealing with a similar situation on a daily basis!

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#28 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is getting better and better. Here is one from Cinema 5D comparing BMDCC and ML hacked RAW 5D MIII 

Looking at the indoor scene at ISO 1600. BMDCC is not getting the same clean footage as the 5D MIII. In low light and shadows 5DmIII clearly has the advantage. Also in the beginning the side by side scene showing the path in the middle. BMDCC shows some colour separation in the highlights whereas 5DMIII is solid. 

It is still early alpha-hack firmware but when all the issues are sorted and the possibility of longer clips then this will make the 5dmIII one heck of an UW HD DSLR camera. 

C'mon Drew where is you UW footage :)

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#29 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Now comes the low noise test.

Simply astonishing. What on earth is Canon doing....or hiding from us?

Cheers

D

#30 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

The corresponding article can be found here: http://www.eoshd.com...ii-raw-vs-h-264

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#31 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Simply astonishing. What on earth is Canon doing....or hiding from us?

Cheers

D

Canon isn't hiding from us, they are trying to make a product for the masses.  RAW DNG isn't a thing for the masses.

By the time I bother to process and transcode etc, Mark IV will be out.  I'm just watching the CDNG files on Resolve and AE.  I'll show you this weekend when I fly in.

Drew

#32 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Well its about choice. Canon could have made it a better camera for video. Just a little helps. Instead the 5DMIII is not really a huge leap from the 5DMII.  If it was not for consumers using the 5D MII for video they don't have new market segment in the first place. They rather spend millions on advertising something that is dumb down so they could they could rake in the profit from the higher value Cinema Cameras.

Have a read about what the camera is really doing in this very informative report:

http://nofilmschool....sor/#more-54032

I am sure Canon is delighting the masses as always.....only when a group of dedicated and supersmart people decided to pries the "delight" out of it that is. I have no problem using DNG. Its like digital still files. Computer generated graphics have this format and my team uses it all the time. Need faster GPU and lots of storage. Moorse law. Processing and memory is getting cheaper.

Hey ML is doing a sterling job. I am in awe by their dedication in delighting the masses.....

Cheers

David

#33 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

Just about to test getting rid of the 4GB limit by formatting the card to exFAT. Now I have to shoot something for a couple of minutes... I have no busy scene around!  Everyone is testing pretty static scenes so the files are smaller.  Pushing with a busy scene will tell if the camera can handle real work for sustained use.

Drew

#34 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Waiting for my batch of 1000x cards to arrive. I am going to test the bells out of the hacked RAW breathing 5DMIII underwater  in a week or so with my custom rectilinear port.

#35 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hi There- not sure if you guys can help- I'm having a nightmare trying to install the ML Raw on my 5D Mark III. I'm 99% sure I've followed all the instructions posted online to the letter (e.g. Cinema5D's article). Have tried the ML forums to no avail so far.

I have fw 1.1.3 on the camera, camera on M. When I put the bootflag.fir file on the SD card and update firmware I get the error message 'could not find ML files', then a bunch more and ends up with some blocky stuff on screen. Firstly is this what is meant to happen? 

After this again I've followed all instructions & when I put the other files on and make the card bootable, I don't get anything when I reinsert and press the trash button. 

It's driving me a bit nuts- i've tried all I can think of- reinstalling the canon 1.1.3 firmware, I've tried it on 4 different SD cards. It's very weird. I'm using the same camera, FW and same bootflag file as everyone else.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#36 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

Go back to Cinema's 5D site : http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898

there is a today's version of the RAW module build at item 8b.

If you know that already then may be revert you 5D MIII back to factory state and try again?

cheers

D

#37 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

Thanks David,

I've already tried the latest version and tried clearing all settings on the camera. It's very strange. Have you tried it yet? If so do you remember what the screen on the camera did when you loaded the bootflag file?

Cheers

Fergus

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#38 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Fergus,
there will be funky overlays when you first load the .fir.  Did you delete the .fir from the SD card after you load it?
Sheesh there's an instruction blog now! LOL

Drew

#39 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

Hi Drew,

Yes, deleted the fir after loading. Read god knows how many instruction blogs. Stumped.

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#40 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

hi Fergus

I asked a friend who tried to do it with his 5DmIII. Some blocky bits too. I tried to upload mine after. The boot flag file is relatively quick. Not a lot to it. Reason it can't read files is due to the fact the ML files should really be in the SD. Just continue with the delete bootflag and load the .bin file plus all the ML files. Remember this is still very buggy. I had to Macboot to open the program that preps the SD to install the ML modules. It is all very confusing. Since I don't have a 1000x CF card I used half that speed. Didn't work so I wait for mine 1000x card to turn up in the next day or so before I attempt to record. SD still boots up when erase  button is pressed. half of the graphic is blocky. I will try follow the exact file sequence as in aaphotog's latest upload again. Need to get a clean menu. Really looking forward to my super duper CF cards and then hopefully have all the wrinkles ironed out.

cheers

David