140 replies to this topic

#41 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Fergus

Rereading your post, your steps are correct. So the only step I think you are missing is (and forgive me if I sound like I'm treating you like a noob) to start up the camera in MOVIE mode.

I can't seem to get the FPS past 31 for 720p. Pity,  I was hoping to get some slo-mo going.   The latest build (May 16th) allows me to record without dropping frames @ 1080/25p. Can't go any faster with the Lexar 1000x 128,64 and 32 GB cards.  Bummer!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#42 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thanks David.

Finally I have it working! Yay! Although I never really did work out why. It was something to do with EOScard settings I think. 

Anyway just recorded my first few 1080p files on a 1000x card, with no dropped frames (I think). May 13 build.

Cheers

Fergus

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#43 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi Fergus 

Great job. I could still record but half the menu is blocky. I could sort of guess with the item means.  Using the Sandisk extreme st 90 mbs. Frame skips a lot and not ideal. Are you using the Komputer 1000x card? 64 GB or the 128 GB version? Would be good to know which card works best.

I read that the 64GB is better for true write speed. here is the link for those following this (do this at your own risk) : http://www.eoshd.com...c-cinema-camera

Plus Andy's low light comparison is pretty fantastic. At 2k footage at ISO 1600 the ML 5D MIII rocks. At ISO 6400 the image is still discernible. BMD CC  image just goes to mush. I uses the Epic and let me tell you at low light and if I turn to ISO 6400 the camera comes out with grains dancing like honey bees. Even at ISO 1600 I have to ensure that blacks is not clipped. Some info will always be lost and to gain enough detail other issues such as contrast and sharpness suffers. Down scale to 1080p most times really disappointing results. Not always though. A good lens helps. Now this ML hack for 5DMIII has or could possibly change the way I want to record 2k raw/1080p video. Of course its early days. Other things are needed to really working smoothly and also the digital negative file DNG work flow. Low light abilities at least is astounding with this hack. One thing that ambient recording really needs for underwater shoot.

All the more I am in constant awe with the wizards at ML and all those testers out there spending their own time freely and sharing the results. I think as UW shooters we could contribute our part to this exciting discovery.

Cheers

David 

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#44 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Got it all working now. The Win version is much easier.

Now for some limited testing. A real pity I can't find a single outlet in Singapore selling 1000x CF cards.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#45 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hi Fergus 

Great job. I could still record but half the menu is blocky. I could sort of guess with the item means.  Using the Sandisk extreme st 90 mbs. Frame skips a lot and not ideal. Are you using the Komputer 1000x card? 64 GB or the 128 GB version? Would be good to know which card works best.

I read that the 64GB is better for true write speed. here is the link for those following this (do this at your own risk) : http://www.eoshd.com...c-cinema-camera

Plus Andy's low light comparison is pretty fantastic. At 2k footage at ISO 1600 the ML 5D MIII rocks. At ISO 6400 the image is still discernible. BMD CC  image just goes to mush. I uses the Epic and let me tell you at low light and if I turn to ISO 6400 the camera comes out with grains dancing like honey bees. Even at ISO 1600 I have to ensure that blacks is not clipped. Some info will always be lost and to gain enough detail other issues such as contrast and sharpness suffers. Down scale to 1080p most times really disappointing results. Not always though. A good lens helps. Now this ML hack for 5DMIII has or could possibly change the way I want to record 2k raw/1080p video. Of course its early days. Other things are needed to really working smoothly and also the digital negative file DNG work flow. Low light abilities at least is astounding with this hack. One thing that ambient recording really needs for underwater shoot.

All the more I am in constant awe with the wizards at ML and all those testers out there spending their own time freely and sharing the results. I think as UW shooters we could contribute our part to this exciting discovery.

Cheers

David 

Hi David,

Yes, I'm using the 64gb Komputerbay 1000x I just shot about 1200 frames at 1080p and got one drop. As other people have said, I think the dropped frame might be right at the end as you press stop but not sure. 

I think the Toshiba 1066x is the absolute fastest. I also heard that the May 13 build is dropping fewer frames than more recent ones, so that's the one I'm using at the moment.

The files look lovely- pretty similar to the still CR2's in quality. I used Lightroom to process, as that's what I'm used too- I do quite a bit of timelapse, so its a similar workflow. I do think it might turn out to be nice for UW, but I'd hestitate to use this setup as a general topside camera, with the workflow issues, lack of audio currently etc. Something like the C300 is a lot quicker to work with albeit without the beauty of raw! I guess the interface will be improved and glitches ironed out over time. If the workflow can be a bit more automated it may become useful for a wider variety of projects....

Cheers

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#46 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hey looking forward to some clips.

I would not knock the quality coming out of the C300. That is one nice camera for low light and it does not suffer much with magenta cast sometimes I see in other S35 sensor cinema cameras for underwater.  I suspect the C300 is capable of a lot more. ML can't really touch the cinema cameras nor the 1DX/1dC. It is a wonder that Canon has not even twitch a whisker with all this frenzy of 5D MIII hacking activity.

I managed to shoot some 1920 x 720 raw with a Sandisk Extreme at 90 mb/s clips. 

cheers

David

#47 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

This is the best one I've seen yet. Super excited about the possibility of shooting ML's EOS raw underwater footage soon.

Cheers

David

#48 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Yes, it's nice isn't it? & shot just 10 minutes down the road from my place. Sunny evenings have been in short supply recently- he must have caught the only one!

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#49 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

James Miller is a very talented guy.  No guarantee that our footage would look like that!! :D

Cheers, Simon

#50 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well, none of your RAW clips will look like that because he removed the OLPF/AA and ICF assembly.  That's why you see the IR shift in the clips.  The resolution is awesome though and the RAW just allows all that resolution to come out, with a bit of AA to boot.  I did that with my 1DsII a while back and the resolution made me keep the camera for a much longer time until it died.

MaxMax still does the conversions if you want to maximize resolution.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#51 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Do you know what is the actual increase in resolution for the 5D MIII ?  

I am not going to hot rod my camera just interested to know what is possible.

cheers

D

#52 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

It'll probably be like the D800 vs D800e, but a bit more difference in resolution.

Drew

#53 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ok time for a bit of an update.  For the last 2 weeks, a new way of processing the .RAW files has been evolving.  Works pretty well but it can be buggy.  It also produces proxy files in DNxHD or Cineform.  I prefer DNxHD for quality but CINEFORM seems to work faster.  It does double the workload so I suggest if your machine can handle it, work in .DNG.

http://www.magiclant...hp?topic=5557.0

Drew

#54 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

The firmware has improved quite a bit. Jun 1 update has playback, copy and other cool features:

https://drive.google...Yms&usp=sharing

Drew

#55 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Yup. Still trying to get the elusive 1920 x 1080 out of the MIII.

My Komputer 64 GB averages 80 m/bs highest was 115 m/bs. I think I will download the latest build and revert back to my PC/win set up. 

I have been shooting little models of Nudibrachs  (they looks so real) heh heh....so should have some footage to show soon. 

Here is another example of what MIII raw can do in the right hands...awesome stuff.

#56 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

I'm daring to hope that they'll have cracked the 7D by mid June so I can take it for a spin underwater.  The 7D has always been a problem for ML, but they've made lots of progress with it lately and they have mooted that they think 7D RAW is probable rather than just 'possible'...  Fingers crossed!

#57 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

I think it is only a matter of time. The 7D Alpha Firmware from ML came out straight after Canon release theirs and that allows the magicians in ML a way to port into the camera's program. Dual Digic 4 processor in the 7D is proving to be tougher to hack for Raw than the other Canon Digital cameras but I am sure if ML couldn't do it they would have announce it impossible by now. However the 50D seems to coming out with some great footage and the MIII is absolutely amazing for a DSLR. It is still quite buggy and not so stable. A lot depends on the recording media.  I can't wait to do some dives tests when I work out the best combo of CF cards and workflow.

cheers

David

#58 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

David, you can't get 1080/24p on your 5D3 with the KB cards?  I managed to get it but of course the cards died a quick death. I'm not bothering with replacements as they are just too unreliable as they are NAND chips that have been REJECTED for normal cards!  Lexar is working solidly for the last year!

I've been trying out the 720/60p but there's a lot of processing to do so it's not really worth doing regularly.  It has to be stretched out again.  I've got it up to 62fps before it craps out.  Works pretty well for slo-mo.  

Drew

#59 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

What did you do to damage your card? Mine is still working. Managed to get a few seconds of 1920 x 1080. The raw to dng converter does not work in mac for that clip. Might try it on PC. Have loads of battery handy. The hack tends to suck power out of the batteries. Card also need a fast and reliable card reader.

So far so good with Nudibranch toys for macro footage test. The image is crystal clear in my MBP retina screen.

#60 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'm also wondering about long-term reliability of the KB cards. I shot a card-full of raw and a timelapse with CR2 s the other day. The DNGs were fine but all the CR2s were corrupted and the a couple of the H264 movs had corruption. Seems OK again now, but I'm more wary of the card now. I guess it could have been caused by the card-reader....

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website