• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#61 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think its luck of the draw. I have been using mine KB 64GB card without trouble for about a week. The 128 GB finally kicked the bucket. Stuck at 32 MB when I tried to reformat it in my PC to ExFat. Have already send it back. 

Still trying to get stable recording 1080/1920 from the 5DMIII for more than tens of seconds. I think more up to date firmware is available so more testing to do.

cheers

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#62 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Just go get a Lexar... works perfectly up to 90MB/s.  ;)  Why bother wasting the time recording something and have it fail when you want to d/l it?  I almost want to toss that thread I started.   You do get what you pay for!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#63 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

7D hack would be good, breath some life back into her.... great as a backup cam for my RED

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#64 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Still waiting with bated breath on ML team for the 7D hack. My business associate have a Hot rod 7D to take PL mount lens and that poor camera has been sitting in the dry cabinet for too long.

Problem is with the dual digic processor in the 7D. For what its worth the sensor is closed to S35mm in size. 

I am still testing the MIII with better cards. Seems like some ML testers has achieved continuous recording of full HD raw. Still limited to 64GB. 128 cards read speed just ain't fast enough. One member is also modding a CF expander card to connect to SSD. I am totally in awe with those technical wizards.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#65 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

David

I've been getting 1080/24p with 10 minute clips on the Lexar 1000x 128GB.  No sound though.  The WAV file causes dropped frames.  86MB/s seems to be the magic number to keep to with the 128GB.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#66 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

7D hack would be good, breath some life back into her.... great as a backup cam for my RED

Yes very frustrating how the 7D is such a PITA for ML to crack!  I've still got 2x7D's and 2xHousings for them and would love to get them shooting RAW.  I could live with the workflow when I don't have to fork out any more cash (well apart from the new Mac Pro when it arrives to edit the footage!) :D

#67 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Oh but you will have to fork out a lot for other stuff to work with the new Mac Pro. You'd have to switch all your storage to either GbE or Thunderbolt.  It also looks like it has no expansion for other drives or PCIe capture cards.  Thunderbolt is great for the laptops and such, but for a desktop, it's yet another new cable/box  to buy.  Now if it had stayed a fiber optic design, I'd have jumped all over it.

Drew

#68 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Most of my storage is external already Drew.  I've got 8TB inside and about 30TB outside my 'box'!  My 2007 MacPro 1,1 is limping towards the finishing line now.  I mean it really, really, really can't get any worse than USB2 can it?? :D

#69 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

ha ha..... you git your monies worth out of that Simon 2007!!!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#70 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

LOL yeah sure did Jon.  Apple now officially refer to my beast as 'vintage'.  There's still a bit more life in the old girl yet, but she just hates H264 - too many 12 hour + renders have taken their toll on her...

Edited by SimonSpear, 13 June 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#71 doubtingGunnel

doubtingGunnel

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

I've been meaning to share some shots from my 5D MKIII running ML RAW. Our viz has been really bad until recently and there are still a lot of particulates in the water. 

In any case, I wanted to illustrate what I consider to be an amazing benefit from this firmware aside from the increased detail and latitude. I have a 8-15mm f/4L fish-eye behind a Zen DP-100 mini-dome. It has a fantastic MFD. With the crop feature on the firmware, I can get a 3X zoom factor on the lens. At the push of a button, I now have a 24-45mm lens with no loss of quality. Here is a  A Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker (Eumicrotremus orbis) during my safety stop:

First shot is at 15mm, second shot is at 15mm x 3 = 45mm. 

With my 100mm macro, I can now get 300mm of focal length. If I attach my SubSee +10 diopter, it's a crazy amount of magnification. 

I pretty much have all of the workflow down and don't really have any issues getting consistent 1080p at 24fps from it. ML RAW for underwater video is an amazing tool. I can't get enough of the quality and latitude. And now I have a super wide angle/ portrait lens behind a mini-dome!

Edited by doubtingGunnel, 23 June 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#72 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

I love it. The detail really pops. Only thing is the shallow depth of field with a full frame. Would be great to see the super macro footage. Good job with this one. Looks really clean. I have yet to try my 5D MIII in a dive but planning for a trip soon.

thanks for sharing

#73 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've been meaning to share some shots from my 5D MKIII running ML RAW. Our viz has been really bad until recently and there are still a lot of particulates in the water. 

In any case, I wanted to illustrate what I consider to be an amazing benefit from this firmware aside from the increased detail and latitude. I have a 8-15mm f/4L fish-eye behind a Zen DP-100 mini-dome. It has a fantastic MFD. With the crop feature on the firmware, I can get a 3X zoom factor on the lens. At the push of a button, I now have a 24-45mm lens with no loss of quality. Here is a  A Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker (Eumicrotremus orbis) during my safety stop:

First shot is at 15mm, second shot is at 15mm x 3 = 45mm. 

With my 100mm macro, I can now get 300mm of focal length. If I attach my SubSee +10 diopter, it's a crazy amount of magnification. 

I pretty much have all of the workflow down and don't really have any issues getting consistent 1080p at 24fps from it. ML RAW for underwater video is an amazing tool. I can't get enough of the quality and latitude. And now I have a super wide angle/ portrait lens behind a mini-dome!

Thanks for posting the video. Does the crop factor work with non raw shooting? Also, is Raw shooting and this crop feature available on the mark ii?

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#74 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Delkin 1050X cards clame a write rate of 120 MB/s. would these cards be even a better proposition than the lexar's.
http://delkin.com/c-...mpactflash.html

#75 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

Mark, I think it's more the camera than the card.  My Lexar 64 and 128GB write at 100MB/s when using a express card reader.

Drew

#76 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

I am having endless problems with the RAW workflow:

Problem 1:

I cannot seem to convert any RAW file over 4GB. I have tried RAW2DNG version 0.13(The newest) for mac as well as RAWMagic for mac.

I have searched the ML forums and a few people have had this problem but no one has responded directly to any of these posts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Problem 2:

When editing the Cinema DNG that was converted using RAWMagic in After Effects. I am having terrible trouble with light levels jumping around from frame to frame.  Almost as if it is applying different corrections to each frame during the conversion process.If I leave all the DNG setting at the defaults it all seems to be ok.

I have also tried using RAW2DNG to convert this gives a worse result and also tried using Photoshop to edit the DNG's also worse than After Effects.

I have put up a short video to show this problem.

#77 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hi,

I've also been playing around shooting Magic Lantern underwater. Problem 1- I haven't yet tried to shoot & convert any files over 4GB & also I've been doing it on PC, but I assume you formatted the card as exFAT? I've been using Rawanizer to convert the files in batches, not sure if it's available for mac but might be worth a look.

Problem 2: I haven't been experiencing this, but my workflow is slightly different. I've been converting the DNGs in Lightroom. A couple of times I did get a bunch of frames to which my adjustments did not seem to have been applied, but I just went back and did it again and it seemed OK the second time. Not sure why it happened. 

I assume you were shooting manual and that the light level jumps were just in-camera autoexposure that has been exaggerated after processing. 

I'm not familiar with RAWMagic in aftereffects, but can you look at the frames in question and see whether different adjustments were somehwo applied?

Cheers

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#78 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Most of the time I still use the RAWtoDNG to TIFF using photoshop to Prores (QuickTime7)

Works so far without any glitches.

I am going yo go for Ginger HDR Direct Raw to Premier Pro next when I have the time. 

Just got a Lexar 128 GB. I hope its more reliable than Komputer cards. Already sent two back. No more.

Regards

David

#79 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

A fantastic source of information regarding the 5D III and RAW, http://www.eoshd.com...e-available-now

Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#80 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Here is it from original source and everything regarding Canon DSLR raw hack is tapped from this........http://www.magiclantern.fm

This group should be supported as they offer their time, expertise and dedication for free so that the potential of some Canon cameras could be enhanced for all to enjoy. Free!