• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#101 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Wow.....

Attached Images

• 1200x.jpg

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#102 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Purportedly this 32GB card should go up to 160 mbs... I am just happy if it could sustain 120mb in my 5D MIII. May be 1080 @ 60p is a near possibility. 

At USD 600 a pop. Ouch. I heard rumors that Komputerbay is also near production of 1200x 32GB.  Come on I need a 256GB @ 120mbs constant speed. I would be happy to fork out  dosh for that.

Edited by CheungyDiver, 26 August 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#103 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

David,

I've been told by my industry guy that the MLC chip yield for 1066/1200x have been low, too low to make it happen.   However, they have a lot of unsold chips someone very enterprisingly bought up to make the Komputerbays and Digital Speeds.  Both of these companies are selling 1200x 64-256GB, claiming 140+MB/s write speed.
They are all over Amazon now.  Would you pay $699.99 for a Digital Speed 64GB 1200x, given that they sell through 3rd party sellers on Amazon including Brooklyn scam stores?

UDMA 7 has a limit of 167MB/s as a standard. I'm guessing that the chip manufacturers are having difficulty sustainably making good enough chips for the Lexar/Sandisk crowd, and being enterprising people, are selling off the rejects.  That's why Lexar/Sandisk/Toshiba etc haven't announced anything more than 1066x.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#104 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

1200x  64-256 ????  - where did you find that?

Highest capability scam (allegedly) CF cards I found in Amazon is 64GB

#105 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

So this is a scam?

I'll wait until someone test this card. I am happy if this could do 120mbs sustained speed.

Attached Images

• komp1281200x.jpg

#106 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

Not so much a scam as a way to make money off rejected chips.  It's written off so they can get them @ lower cost.  The CF casing and UDMA 7 chipset are cheap.  Think about it... UDMA 7/CF 6.0 is maxed out @ 167MB/s as a standard.  So a NAND chip that is faster than anything on the market AND is cheaper than what the real competition are by over 50%??
There are bridges which are cheaper! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#107 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

So who's going to be the Guinea Pig???

Attached Images

• komp1281200xGP.jpg

#108 howeikwok

howeikwok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Got a question. Would using an external recorder/monitor like the Atomos Ninja 2 work with the ML hack and would it solve the issue of needing a high speed card?

Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#109 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

It would be nice if it could work but HDMI output has to go through the image processing in the camera. It is highly compressed. It is H264 codex in quicktime MOV wrapper and colour down-sampled to 8bit. ie. it could never be RAW. ML software read of the live view buffer which is 16bit raw digital stills in the 5D MIII and to read off that ML software allow the RAW read in burst mode. It by passes the image processor. as RAW in this case Canon Raw is not processed but dumped into the recording media. This is limited to the write speed of the CF card read/write buffer. The 5DMIII CF buffer max out at 167 mbs. That is the limit of UDMA -7 controller in the MIII. It is still the fastest in the Canon DSLR family of DSLRs. Current CF cards including the lexar and Komputer only could do at best average 85 to 90 mbs. Not fast enough for trouble free Raw recording. Just about good enough for 1080p.

Some entrepreneurial individual even attempted to use a CF-Sata interface card. After many attempts or may be even BS for bragging rights nothing fruitful materialized. Here one hoping. Forget output from HDMI. It is just not possible. 

this was discussed to death in Magic Lantern- go check it out from source if you do not believe : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/

http://www.magiclant...g54387#msg54387

Edited by CheungyDiver, 29 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#110 howeikwok

howeikwok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Guess i need all the rest of the hardware and software sorted before attempting this.

Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#111 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

It is not difficult. Only hardware needed is CF card like the Komputer Bay. Software like the Cineform lite, Resolve Lite and others are free. If you have Mac the FCX will work with some plug-ins. Post processing is a little tedious but it is getting better. The ML forum has tons of information on workflow.

So far I have tried various flavour of the ML hack on 5DmIII, 5D mII, 7D, 50D, 40D and Eos M. Have not damage any camera yet. Gotten some fantastic footage. Some looked as good as my Red Epic footage at 2K. The ML firmware does not change the camera's firmware it runs along with the camera's. When the CF card or SD is unplugged ML firmware disappears. Most of the people I help with find the Magic Lantern community a bit confusing and hard to find simple guides. I find it confusing when I first join but learn heaps since then. The best part is its all free. This open source community of hackers, programmers and testers is one of the biggest of its kind. It is something special in the camera imaging world.

Cheers

#112 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

David, it is free but one can also "DONATE" to the ML site to support the work. I've already sent money... before they went to bitcoin, which is too annoying for me to send anymore! :)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/donate.html

Also a correction.  HDMI out from the 5D3 is uncompressed 8 bit 422, so the capture device converts that feed to whatever editing codec.  One can google the comparisons of HDMI output vs All-I vs IPB.  There is a bit of improvement but the 8bit is telling.

Only problem is that the ML firmware is based on v1.13 which does not have clean HDMI out from the camera.  I'm hoping they move towards v1.21 so we can have a choice of HDMI capture or RAW.  However, I've been told that v1.21 coding is more difficult to get RAW from because of the clean HDMI rerouting, which is also rerouted by ML for RAW.

ML RAW is great fun to use.  However, as a production tool, it requires a very fast high capacity card like the Lexar 128GB 1000x.  David says his Lexar can't hit 80MB/s. Mine hits 87MB/s, just enough for 1080/24p in RAW.  I also use the 1.85 aspect ratio to lower bit rate demand.  More difficult to frame manually than in post but it works.

Drew

#113 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

Sure. I have join and donated. I am not suggesting everyone go and get a free lunch at ML. Far from it. Join them and help out is the best way to keep the group going.

Yeah if you are getting great CF cards lets have a look of those brilliant footage then? Show us what you can do with 87mbs

#114 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Just heard the news that Adobe is going to support Cinema DNG natively in PPro. By October the upgrade will be done through Adobe Creative Cloud. I can't wait. This saves quite a few processing steps. 5D mIII Magic Lantern fanatics can now rejoice!

Plus there is more. Sony Raw, Phantom Cine(wotsthat?) Motion Jpeg from Canon 1DC, Sony XAVC (long GOP), Pany AVC Ltra (long GOP), 64bit Prores decoding & support for exporting XAVC up to 4K & AVCi200 are all included. Cinema DNG can also be debayered on a supported GPU for better performance. Lastly even 6K RED Dragon is natively supported with RED colour science built in. They have indeed been busy this summer.

Now all I have to do is get a few more 64GB 1000x Komputer Bay CF cards. Just for information the fabled 1200X card did not go any faster than the 64GB. It could however allowed for longer recording. I will wait a month or more until the price drops.

Cheers

David

#115 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Looks like Adobe are going all out to capture he ML RAW crowd!

I've been weaning myself off FCP over the last year and got to admit that Premiere Pro is great and CC seems well supported without having to wait years for updates. The only reason I'm still using FCP is that some projects still require it.

#116 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well Cinema DNG is actually their own product so it's about time!   I still like the GingerHD route for MLRAW most since there's minimal fuss but do miss the RAW color correction of Resolve.

David, Komputerbay is very unreliable.  Would you use it on a work shoot?  The 3 I ordered have all died, replaced and died again.  It has a high failure rate.  I'd wait for Lexar, Toshiba or Sandisk to launch their 167MB/s cards.

Drew

#117 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yeah I know about Sandisk but waiting for price to drop. I think 120mb/s is more realistic as the 5D MIII buffer maxed out at the moment at 110 and constant at around the 90s for continuous RAW HD. The ML boffins will look at increasing every last ounce out of the camera. 

My Komputer Bay 64 is still working after three months. Getting a few more. Good thing is they will replace it. 

A BIG no to shoot paid stuff with any hack firmware especially at Alpha even Beta stage. In any case the client and producer decides and must know the risks. 

I use the 5D MIII and ML for my own projects simply it is easier to travel with. I could pack two 5D MIII bodies and one 50D for topside and all the footage matches nicely in Pro-res. Plus I could take digital stills.

Oh one more thing I solve the high speed flash sync with the 5D MIII. Could do 3 to 4 almost full blast per second of sync up to 1/1000 sec. Making couple of mock ups to test in Palau come year end. Watch this space. Making a high speed flash sync for the D800 after that. If all goes well I should be able to show it off at ADEX 2014.

Cheers

#118 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Oh one thing I forgot to ask. Did you experience the battery goes really quickly with the ML hack for the 5D MIII? I suspect this is due to the camera reading two cards at the same time. Or maybe the live screen buffer is constantly on active mode. Rarely my battery even new could last more than one dive. I might try embedding the firmware on just the CF card and see what happens.

cheers

David

#119 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Rarely my battery even new could last more than one dive.

How many minutes would that be? 60? 120?

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#120 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

About 90 minutes