• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Had the chance to dive San Miguel Island this weekend aboard the Peace Dive boat. This island is the most westward of the Channel Islands. Due to this fact, the winds and conditions at SMI can be interesting. The ride out from Ventura was at night so I got to sleep through the chop. You could feel in your bunk how rough it was getting out there. I missed the first dive as I had just flown in from Calgary. I live here in so Cal but was up in Calgary for work. I missed the 2nd dive :( as well due to the fact that I had left my drysuit stuff out and before I retrived it, it had gotten wet :(. Luckily on the Peace they have a dryer. i was able to dry my stuff enough to dive. So the first dive I got to do was dive #3.

The night before I had checked my strobes and they fired fine. For some reason my sync cable had come loss so I was not able to fire my strobes. This was very aggravating as another diver had found a wolf eel and pointed it out to me. Luckily I was able to get some shots of it using the focal lights for light. On my SI, I fixed the loose cable and was able to get some nice shots I think of some sea lemon nudis.

Please see the below link to see pics from SMI:

San Miguel Island April, 27th, 2013

#2 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Nice stuff.  Aren't camera malfunctions just a joy? Have you determined what the strobe problem was?

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#3 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Some nice photos, glad you were able to at least get a few photos despite the equipment messing with you.  Just curious why you couldn't dive after flying in?

Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#4 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Some nice photos, glad you were able to at least get a few photos despite the equipment messing with you.  Just curious why you couldn't dive after flying in?

I think he was plain tuckered out.

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#5 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

I think he was plain tuckered out.

Yup...I woke up after they were in the water for the first dive. On the Peace you don't hear the speaker down in the bunk room.

#6 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

That makes sense to me now, just couldn't figure out how flying would stop a dive :)

Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600