Photo
- - - - -

Convergent Design Odyssey 7/7Q OLED Monitor and RAW recorder needs a housing.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

At NAB 2013, Convergent Design announced the Odyssey 7 and 7Q OLED monitor with recording capability via SSD.  The 7Q is designed to work with Sony's Cinealta lines like the F55/F5 and the FS700 cameras, allowing recording of 4k RAW up to 60p with the F55. It can recordi 240fps 2k RAW for 45 minutes with the FS700, as well as 4k (not RAW). The specs were probably limited so that it doesn't compete with the much more expensive AXS-R5 recorder, which can do 16bit RAW.
The Odyssey 7Q really does free up a camera like the FS700, which is limited on its own to AVCHD and an 8 second buffer on the high speed function. Add to that the ability to rent a codec when needed, instead of buying it outright
It also works with other brands like the Canon C500 (4k up to 60fps in Canon RAW), and many other cameras that outputs via 3G-SDI. It is also a fully function monitor, so it has all the features like histograms, false color, peaking etc. So write into the manufacturers if you want a housing for this monitor/recorder, because if they don't think there's a market then they won't make a housing for it. It is due to ship in May

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

If this made the FS700 a usable camera underwater & Gates or Nauticam made a housing for this combo then I would definitely buy one.
I still have a glimmer of hope that the FS700 could be used underwater.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#3 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Only Amphibico has a compact housing for both the FS100 and FS700 at the moment. I think there may be the bigger generic "tube" housings from other manufacturers around too.

Waiting to see if RAW recorder could solve the screwy colour issue. If it is a sensor level problem then its not good new for Sony NEX camcorders for UW use. I read these camcorders also has issues with certain LED lights. I hope Sony have a fix soon. I am hoping to get my hands on a F5 or F55. Its using the same size sensor (not exact sensor - but then who knows?). A S35 full 4K raw and I hope not the same imaging process and recording. If Sony can't get their colormetry correct for all situations at this level then its bad news all round. 

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I didn't know that the F5 and 55 used basically the same sensor as the FS series.... will be very interesting to see how these go underwater. They are in a different league cost wise!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Nope. F5 and F55 similar S35 sensor and share same CFA (colour filter array) as the big brother F65. Bayer pattern CFA used in the F3 which has similar shared technology in the FS100/700. Of course the F55 is RAW output not compressed like AVCHD. Not exactly sure how F3 and FS 700 do the same thing with an external recorder allowing 4K recording without  similar colour processing. I was told they are all slightly different S35 sensors. Or It could be same senors and different sensor CFA filter etc or the processing brain. Only a Sony tech will know. I hope the same colour problem does not occur in the F5/F55. I somehow doubt that. If RAW file get rid of the problems then may be there is hope for the FS700  plus ext. raw recorder. I need to find out more.

My friend's F55 had a nasty firmware problem and completely screwed up a shoot. This was top side.  Had to use the Alexa. Red faces all round. Early days for the Sony 4K.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

The F55/5 sensors are also 16bit sensors, whereas the FS700 is 12 bit.  BIG difference in output especially in the sample 16 bit RAW that comes out of it. No camera is bullet proof.  Remember how many shoots were ruined by R1s?  I've heard mostly good things about the F55, Can't wait for a Dragon vs F55 RAW shootout.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Remember how many shoots were ruined by R1s I don't remember. How many? There is only one F55 in Singapore as far as I know. It’s the one my friend has and on loan from the Sony Pro guy. His is not ready. It switches on and then blinks a few times, fan kicks in and then blue screen of death when the roll button was pressed. Not impressed. I am wondering how many production is actually shot with F55 at the moment? They seem to have a bug with the software. I have seen tests and F55 footage and they look extremely clean. Then again all these new cinema cameras have marketing footage to show or teams of select pros as testers. Some murmurs that it is a bit video-ish. At least it is RAW so some program could make it like more film grained. How about the Dragon footage? Red seems to have the balls to ask people to pay 9.5K for sensor upgrade (also new graphic card - the rocket X at another USD 4.5k if ordered with upgrade)(or its 6.5k)) without a single footage of the Epic dragon with the sensor shown. Hmmm. It’s like a religion. Have faith- it will be awesome. I'm sure it will. May have to wait for months like the BMDCC camera - another company with the hype machine cranked up. May be the stuffed lizard which is a frame grab from the Epic dragon is convincing enough for some people. I am not at the moment. I am just getting cynical with all these companies claiming great things but falls flat or grind to a halt on delivery and promise. We are used as beta testers. I hope Sony fixes the FS700 problem. It is known to goes funny with some LED lights top side.  The F5/55 is 16bit alright but if the sensor pumps out 16 bit crappy UW footage then it is still a pile of....... I hope the F55 gets sorted out in the next few days and may be I could do a pool test. Also I need to look for a FS700 and raw recorder and test that for myself. What a shame the housing is just sitting in my office like a paper weight. Sorry don’t mean to rant. Just frustrated with Sony. At the moment I am happy with my Scarlet/Epic at least these works for topside and UW.

Edited by CheungyDiver, 01 May 2013 - 01:33 AM.

#8 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

So true ... I am definitely waiting to see an image before I upgrade to Dragon, as you say I am happy with the current image... really happy in fact. That surprises me about Sony and the F55 I thought it would be like other Sony cams, very reliable and definitely not beta.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

David, the Red Ones were pretty bad at the beginning with the alpha firmware etc etc.  Even Epics fail, why do you think they had 50 Epics with 2 full time Red employees there for the Hobbit shoot? As I said, no camera is bullet proof, but some are less bullet proof than others! :)  When I fly into SG next week, I'll call Sony and see if we can borrow a FS700 to test the MWB issue with the Amphibico.  I think this is a sensor issue with MWB, so it'll be interesting to see if we can get a normal image file out and tweak in post.

Drew

#10 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Sure Drew let me know if you could borrow a FS700 from Sony Singapore. Plus you need a RAW recorder. If you want RAW files. I have not seen the Convergent Design Odyssey Q7 here. You know someone got one? And you could burrow one?

I have a fair idea the FS700 has the same issue as the FS100 and I am also sure F3 has similar issues. I was told it is not sensor but software. They fixed colour shift issue very early for F5 and to some degree F55. These 16 bit camera will not have colour halo and also completely functionality is not ready until September.

Back to the Convergent Design - From their website the Q7 has a  7" diagonal Oled screen. Nice size but bulky. Need a big battery. Oh and its touch screen. Its chicken and egg situation now for some manufacturers. If the FS700 has the halo banding and colour shift issue and Sony is not fixing it with firmware soon there is little incentive to make a housing for the RAW recorder.

Good news is that the F5 and F55 does not have these issues at least for topside shoots. I manage to do a dry test with the Gates F55 and Sony F55 and RAW recorder.  Looks like the prototype is not full functional one. Nicely done all the same. I will provide the reason way next. So not diving test with it this time. Need to add a few inches for the RAW recorder and the new Sony battery. Everything else fits nicely. I even have a Sony 35mm Cine lens fitted to try out the lens gear mechanism on the housing port front. This lens is massive and almost as heavy as the camera.

More soon.

D

Edited by CheungyDiver, 05 May 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#11 Pepe EI

Pepe EI

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

I would for sure buy one if some manufacturer builds  the housing.

My channel in vimeo:

https://www.vimeo.com/jmei

JM Esteban-Infantes

#12 Pepe EI

Pepe EI

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Finnally I have my FS700, with Amphibico Housing. And really happy, it works great.

But......what about Odyssey7Q? no housing?  :fool:

Nauticam has released the NA NINJA2.  It will be nice to see my Amphibico/Aquatica GENESIS FS700 Housing with the Nauticam NA NINJA2 because Amphibico and Aquatica customers don't have any way to improve their equipments capacities. :alien:

Sometimes I fill unprotected by Amphibico :pardon: .

My channel in vimeo:

https://www.vimeo.com/jmei

JM Esteban-Infantes

#13 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Would love to see some images from it

www.ginclearfilm.com

#14 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Finnally I have my FS700, with Amphibico Housing. And really happy, it works great.

But......what about Odyssey7Q? no housing?  :fool:

Nauticam has released the NA NINJA2.  It will be nice to see my Amphibico/Aquatica GENESIS FS700 Housing with the Nauticam NA NINJA2 because Amphibico and Aquatica customers don't have any way to improve their equipments capacities. :alien:

Sometimes I fill unprotected by Amphibico :pardon: .

Have you actually used it yet Pepe?? Would love to hear your experience with it and some footage!

Cheers, Simon

Edited by SimonSpear, 20 August 2013 - 02:01 PM.