Photo
- - - - -

Olympus Mirrorless vs RX100 Major benifits?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Behold

Behold

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi

I'm still 1 year on looking at what to buy. Lurking on here has given a lot of insight but im still lost. The Rx100 is seeming great but is not cheap for the fact its macro is not 100 percent.

I do want a semi versatile camera and as im investing I do want to ensure its going to be future proofed.

I do know I want more than 12MP as I have a large set of walls I would like to display a few bits of my work as I get better. A0 on 12MPs is not quite enough!

So The RX ticks 99% of the boxes but its macro is soft. The other option in the PEN Olympus that seems to get a lot of attention. There seems to be some questions on viewfinders and ease of function but not clear on which models to steer away from. I like the idea I could change a lens if my photography type changes or my dive is going to be more in the blue than near coral or rocks.

The total cost is similar and both seem very portable still and that is a key want.

Thoughts?

thanks

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Just an observation about pixel count since you say you want more than 12mp: Twice a year at British Dive Shows numerous pictures by me are exhibited at A1 size and some are printed 12ft tall. The source of these pictures has been a Fuji S2Pro (6mp) and Nikon D200 (10mp) and Nikon D700 (12mp) as well as my latest D800 (36mp). The pictures are imported into Quark Xpress and turned into high res. PDFs. The quality is very acceptable and I challenge anyone to say which picture printed came from which camera.

Edited by John Bantin, 02 May 2013 - 12:50 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 3PW

3PW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

My husband and I are both hobby photographers. We upgraded from compacts to Olympus EPL3 last year and love it: Relatively cheap, versatile, small, great pics both on land and underwater. My husband bought the panasonic 8 mm ( superb lens) and has just got the Zen port DP100 EP which is not supposed to fit this model without a warranty threatening modification ( it designed to go with other PEN models). However it seems it has been changed to fit perfectly. Super set up for wide angle. I opted for wet lens options. If you look at the Scubatravel website, Paul Duxy Duxfield writes a lot about the EM5 in his blogs.

#4 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

With the help of wet macro lenses, I didn’t find the RX100 macro soft at all. This is the RX100 in a Nauticam housing, 2x INON Z240s with the Subsee +5

8030685567_9f4786494a_b.jpg

This is the FIT Pro +8 and +16

8030681192_bbd614541f_b.jpg

Fit Pro +8 only

8030681528_bfa454935b_b.jpg

and Subsee +10

8030679678_2bc6690df5_b.jpg

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#5 whaleshark

whaleshark

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

If you can find Jim Lyle here or on ScubaBoard, ask him about his Olympus OM-D EM-5 for underwater.

If you want more than 12 MP you need to consider the latest Olympus Pen, the E-PL5 or E-M5 (whatever they're called) or the more advanced OM-D EM-5. Look at the creative controls and manual exposure controls for all of these cameras. It should be easy to access aperture and shutter speeds for flash/distance exposure control. For Olympus micro 4/3 consider using the prime lenses, like the 60 mm macro lens or the 8 mm fish eye lens.. Any of the Panasonic lenses, like the 45 mm macro will fit it too. For more info about micro 4/3 lenses look here:

http://www.four-thir...g/en/index.html

The Olmypus housings look great but the port options are limited. See if they have options for installing other ports from 3rd party manufacturers. And consider the Nauticam housing for the OM-D EM-5. Here's a good description of the OM-D and the Nauticam housing:

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=5899
Dave in So Cal
Olympus E-3, E-330, C-8080, Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses: 7-14, 11-22, 14-54, 50 f/2, 50-200, Pan/Leica 25 mm f/1.4
Ikelite housing for C-8080 and E-330, dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes

#6 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

One similar camera that I really favor a lot, especially since they are practically giving the camera bodies away right now, is the Panasonic GX1. Basically the same imager as the EM5 (though without the EVF) - right now at less than 1/3 the cost.

Cheers,

Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Who says that the RX100 macro is soft? There is no such issue with a diopter at telephoto end the image is sharp. Softness with the RX100 is only in corners at wide end with wide apertures. Shooting macro at f/8 or f/11 generates a very sharp image.

The issue with the RX100 is that the capture area is rather large (not so good out of the box macro) so you need a +10 diopter to get you into macro. There are two lenses on the market that fit the bill the Subsee and the new Inon

Have a look at this video to see if the macro is sharp or not

Shot with one or two Inon UCL165

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 Behold

Behold

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thanks every one.

WOW... that video has some great shots.

Seeing that it seems the better option due to size. the issue is the housing costs on the RX makes it such a hard sell.

Im soooo confused right now and lost on what to do!

What is the battery life like using a strobe on the RX100? as its FO only option?

#9 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Battery lasted me for 2-3 dives using still photos and YS-D1/Z240. FO is the only option with this camera, yes.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#10 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

If budget is a big driver for you, then it's really hard to beat this deal right now:

http://www.opticaloc...gear-combo.html

It's not the latest generation m4/3, but it's very good.

And with the savings you could buy the excellent olympus 60mm macro lens and have a great macro setup.

Of course you could add the 9-18 and Zen port and then have WA also.  It's a matter of how much you want to spend.

#11 bear35

bear35

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

I will second the above comment, I have got an Epm1 and slowly cash permitting added to it with 9-18 lens and zen port, 60mm macro ect but its a great set up.

I spent ages looking and had the same problems you are facing. The only other option I would look at,  see if you can pick up a Sony nex5 second hand there was one on ebay not long ago with nauticam housing...sold cheaply. Great quality pictures and video.