• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gsk3

gsk3

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

I am trying to make an old SB-101 useful.  It is in good shape, and I can make it flash using the TEST button.  However, when I try shorting out each combination of the three pins (two at a time, taking appropriate safety precautions), I can't make it trigger.

Am I just not getting the pins deep enough, or do these work on a different principle than PC sync cables?  Does anyone have the specs for the 3-pin Nikonos cables?

#2 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi GSK3,

If you are looking at the cable end, not the camera end, here is the pinout on a 3 prong Nikonos cable.

There is an indention in the part that goes into the camera; hold that indention to the 6 o'clock position.

Mentally number the pins from left to right as 1,2,3.  Pin 2 will be opposite the indention.

Pin 1 = M sync

Pin 2 = Ground  Directly across from the indention.

Pin 3 = X sync

M sync is for flashbulbs, so you will be shorting ground to X-sync pin to make the strobe fire.

Best of luck,

Barry

www.bareports.com

www.keywordworkflow.com

#3 gsk3

gsk3

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

Super helpful, thanks. I'll give it a try as soon as work gives me a minute to breathe.

Really appreciate it.

#4 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hi GSK3,

If you are looking at the cable end, not the camera end, here is the pinout on a 3 prong Nikonos cable.

There is an indention in the part that goes into the camera; hold that indention to the 6 o'clock position.

Mentally number the pins from left to right as 1,2,3.  Pin 2 will be opposite the indention.

Pin 1 = M sync

Pin 2 = Ground  Directly across from the indention.

Pin 3 = X sync

M sync is for flashbulbs, so you will be shorting ground to X-sync pin to make the strobe fire.

Best of luck,

Barry

www.bareports.com

www.keywordworkflow.com

Thanks a lot! I also needed this information. I've just tried an ikelite to nikonos cord on DS51 and it works as you explained.

Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/