• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Backscatter's Airlock was my decision for a pressure test device for my housing. It came this week and I've installed it.

Pro's

1. Completely mechanical. No batteries to go dead or electronics to fail.

2. Footprint is small and adjustable (direction). Clearly would fit in the available real estate.

Con's

1. More expensive than the Vivid, which was the primary competitor in my decision.

2. Competely mechanical, no ability to check pressure at any time.

Installation:

It was easy on the Aquatica housing. Remove a nut on a blank bulkhead. Insert the furnished fitting and tighten a nut. I don't know why it bothered me to open a hole in the housing, I open a bigger one everytime I install the Aquaview viewfinder before diving. And now and can test my work for both.

Use:

The manual pump easily reached the recommended -5 inches of mercury for a pressure test and the -10 inches for locking all ports in place. The pressure did hold overnight. And since there are no electronics or other items to evaluate it's done.

Note:

I am removing the valve for packing the housing, closing the bulkhead fitting with the included cap. Packing pressure on the valve could possibly leverage into breaking the plastic bulkhead fitting. Reintalling the valve will just take a few seconds.

#2 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Let us know how it goes when diving -- I'm looking at that same one.  I don't mind it being mechanical.  I would say if you pressurize it and then check 10 minutes later then it will be good for the dive; no real reason to have a real time LED.  With the flood sensor LEDs, I've noticed they usually come on just about the same time your entire rig has filled up with water, kind of like engine lights that come on right before the cylinders seize :D

Edited by johnspierce, 02 May 2013 - 09:02 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#3 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

You could buy just the Vivid circuit board and put it inside the housing, which would give you continuous confirmation of the vacuum.

#4 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

Keep us posted on how you go using it a few times please.

I am interested in getting one of these.

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging. Stockist of Gates/Subal/Archon/Flip3.1
www.duai.com.au

#5 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

I received my Airlock last night and installed it on my Subal ND3.

I sent the following feedback email to Sean at backscatter this morning:

Sean

Some feedback on myAir Lock install last night.
Housing is a Subal ND3.

Installed the bulkhead fitting with a bit of lube on the o ring. I did not use threadlock. Originally used a crescent wrench. Is the bulkhead fitting made of metal or plastic?

The outer threaded part of the fitting was a fraction too wide for the surrounding lip of the housing casting. There was some interference once the fitting threaded in far enough and would not seat the o ring on the mating surface of the housing. My first try yielded a slow leak that would go from -10 to zero in about ten minutes. I disassembled everything, cleaned and regreased and on the second try used an 11/16 socket. The fitting actually cut some threads into the paint of the housing. I got to the original install depth and then gave an extra 1/4 turn until it completely stopped. I reassembled and pulled -10 which held perfectly overnight.

This interference may be a one off due to the position of the bulkhead hole relative to the surrounding casting, but knowing Subal, I doubt it. Had I dived the housing it would have leaked. It is important to stress that ANY loss of vacuum indicates a leak.

At -10 in/Hg my ports would still rotate but could not be removed.

The other point I would make is that when testing the stability of the vacuum, I used a synthetic cork from a wine bottle to plug the hole in the gauge where the pump handle would go, rather than the pump. It is easier to handle and eliminates the possiblity of air leaking from the pump side. You could even throw a cork in with the packaging.

FYI my math indicates that -10 in/Hg is equal to 11 FSW or 10 feet of fresh water.

The other use of this product is to tell you when your housing needs a rebuild.

Apart from the interference problem, everything is perfect. You just need to know it is a potential glitch, and hopefully the paint won't chip off.  

Great product, no doubt!

ian

#6 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

I received my Airlock last night and installed it on my Subal ND3.

I sent the following feedback email to Sean at backscatter this morning:

Sean

Some feedback on myAir Lock install last night.
Housing is a Subal ND3.

Installed the bulkhead fitting with a bit of lube on the o ring. I did not use threadlock. Originally used a crescent wrench. Is the bulkhead fitting made of metal or plastic?

The outer threaded part of the fitting was a fraction too wide for the surrounding lip of the housing casting. There was some interference once the fitting threaded in far enough and would not seat the o ring on the mating surface of the housing. My first try yielded a slow leak that would go from -10 to zero in about ten minutes. I disassembled everything, cleaned and regreased and on the second try used an 11/16 socket. The fitting actually cut some threads into the paint of the housing. I got to the original install depth and then gave an extra 1/4 turn until it completely stopped. I reassembled and pulled -10 which held perfectly overnight.

This interference may be a one off due to the position of the bulkhead hole relative to the surrounding casting, but knowing Subal, I doubt it. Had I dived the housing it would have leaked. It is important to stress that ANY loss of vacuum indicates a leak.

At -10 in/Hg my ports would still rotate but could not be removed.

The other point I would make is that when testing the stability of the vacuum, I used a synthetic cork from a wine bottle to plug the hole in the gauge where the pump handle would go, rather than the pump. It is easier to handle and eliminates the possiblity of air leaking from the pump side. You could even throw a cork in with the packaging.

FYI my math indicates that -10 in/Hg is equal to 11 FSW or 10 feet of fresh water.

The other use of this product is to tell you when your housing needs a rebuild.

Apart from the interference problem, everything is perfect. You just need to know it is a potential glitch, and hopefully the paint won't chip off.  

Great product, no doubt!

ian

C'mon Poolboy - get that housing in the ocean!

:crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Some day, all housings will come with this feature as a standard fitting!

Edited by John Bantin, 04 May 2013 - 01:24 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

some come already and this from a long time ago ....

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#9 nikonscubadiver

nikonscubadiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

Backscatter's Airlock was my decision for a pressure test device for my housing. It came this week and I've installed it.

Pro's

2. Footprint is small and adjustable (direction). Clearly would fit in the available real estate.

Con's

1. More expensive than the Vivid, which was the primary competitor in my decision.

Installation:

It was easy on the Aquatica housing. Remove a nut on a blank bulkhead. Insert the furnished fitting and tighten a nut. I don't know why it bothered me to open a hole in the housing, I open a bigger one everytime I install the Aquaview viewfinder before diving. And now and can test my work for both.

Use:

The manual pump easily reached the recommended -5 inches of mercury for a pressure test and the -10 inches for locking all ports in place. The pressure did hold overnight. And since there are no electronics or other items to evaluate it's done.

Note:

I am removing the valve for packing the housing, closing the bulkhead fitting with the included cap. Packing pressure on the valve could possibly leverage into breaking the plastic bulkhead fitting. Reintalling the valve will just take a few seconds.

So your removing the "plastic" bulkhead fitting for every trip? What other parts of the system are plastic? 

Roger

#10 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Pro's

Con's

Installation:

Use:

Note:

Hi,

Did you put the valve in one of your spare bulkheads for the strobe or did you put it where the Hydrophone hole is?

thanks,

John

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#11 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Just got back fron my first trip with the Air Lock installed. A week on Little Cayman.

It worked as advertised. If there is a reason to make a big deal about it, you were either caught being sloppy or failed during the dive. I don't see the latter happening.

John, I installed the valve on the spare strobe bulkhead. (Ikelight fitting on the primary.) It looked as if installing on the side of the housing would interfere with the zoom/focus knob.

Roger, the bulkhead fitting is plastic. To remove the metal one way valve you simply unscrew it from the buldhead (plastic fitting) and replace it with the supplied cap. I would suggest watching the video on the Backscatter web site. Between that and the photos on the web site all of your questions should be answered in detail. All the black bits are plastic.

Carl

Edited by cneal, 19 May 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#12 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

I spoke with Scott at Backscatter. He assured me that all the black fittings are anodized aluminum :)

I have confirmed this by removing my bulkhead and found that where the threads interfere with the casting on my Subal ND3, the threads are now silver.

Backscatter has a solution to this interference problem on my housing and will be producing bulkhead fittings that are slightly taller before the threaded portion begins.

That will clear the lip on the casting that binds the thread as the bulkhead seats. It will also allow the threaded cap or Airlock fitting to seat completely in the bulkhead which it doesn't currently do on my housing.

That should definitively solve this issue on my housing.

Ian

#13 Scubanomad

Scubanomad

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, Scuba diving

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

got the Aquatica 5D III, installed that Airlock and well it's leaking after pumping it to -5 after 5min I have -3 then 15min later nothing. I tried listening where the pressure leakes but nothing.

Strange, I can't keep it to hold the -5 for more than 2min.

Edited by Scubanomad, 20 May 2013 - 02:49 PM.

-Scubanomad-

#14 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

got the Aquatica 5D III, installed that Airlock and well it's leaking after pumping it to -5 after 5min I have -3 then 15min later nothing. I tried listening where the pressure leakes but nothing.

I had the same problem...mine was getting the bulkhead O ring to seat properly due to interference with the housing casting. Is there any interference on your housing?.

I used a bicycle torque wrench and snugged mine down to 5 Nm, if that helps. It did cut the threads into the paint on the side of the casting.

Of course, it may be that you have another leak elsewhere, but the most likely explanation is the new fitting.

Also make sure there is no air leaking around the pump to gauge interface. I used a cork to replace the pump handle while assessing stability of the vacuum.

ian

#15 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I would suggest spraying a soap / water mixture on the housing and watch for a bubble.

When I installed on my Aquatica the washer went on the inside and I used a wrench to tighten slightly. less than 1/8 turn.

#16 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

some come already and this from a long time ago ....

:)

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#17 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

I would suggest spraying a soap / water mixture on the housing and watch for a bubble.

When I installed on my Aquatica the washer went on the inside and I used a wrench to tighten slightly. less than 1/8 turn.

Problem is, you need to spray the solution INSIDE the housing!! :)

I suppose you could put a small positive pressure in with a bike pump and check for bubbles, but that does not mimic how the "o"rings are designed to work.

Not sure if this would produce "false positive" results:(

Edited by ianmarsh, 22 May 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#18 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

You got me. :aggressive:

Don't know how to go about finding the culprit. At least your not finding the problem using your camaera as the leak detector.

Problem is, you need to spray the solution INSIDE the housing!! :)

I suppose you could put a small positive pressure in with a bike pump and check for bubbles, but that does not mimic how the "o"rings are designed to work.

Not sure if this would produce "false positive" results:(

#19 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

Here is an idea.

Line the housing inside with paper towels, using some tape to hold in place.

Pump the housing down (with out camera).

Immerse briefly in fresh water.

Open and look for the wet spot!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#20 nikonscubadiver

nikonscubadiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Sounds Like Backscatter is having some problems with several of there fittings.