• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 blibecap

blibecap

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

got the Aquatica 5D III, installed that Airlock and well it's leaking after pumping it to -5 after 5min I have -3 then 15min later nothing. I tried listening where the pressure leakes but nothing.

Strange, I can't keep it to hold the -5 for more than 2min.

The soapy water idea will not yield good results. Fill the housing with weights and paper towels. Submerge it in water for a while and open it and look for dampness. If none found reassemble it, connect up the vacuum pump, submerge the housing in water and draw a vacuum on it. If it doesn't hold vacuum it will be sucking in water where the leak is unless you have a leaky input valve. 

I hope that helps. 

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#22 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

***WARNING*** I am not certain of the effects of acetone on housing materials.

The way to find a vacuum leak is to draw a vacuum on the vessel, then while monitoring the vacuum level spritz acetone around the seals and fittings. The acetone will work like the soapy water mixture does on pressure vessels as a leak spotter. It will get drawn in through any leak and rapidly evaporate under the vacuum, thus causing a quick jump up on the vacuum gauge. Alcohol may be able to be used in place of acetone, but I am not sure if it would evaporate fast enough to make a noticable movement in the vacuum gauge.

Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries