• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hey guys....Need some help with my lens. I am getting ready for a trip and pulled the Tokina 10-17 out of my camera bag to find the zoom gear had come off of the lens.  I had had my housing zoom gear fixed around the lens to keep everything together - do not know if this helped to cause the problem or not.   I could see the inside of my lens.   I put the zoom ring back on - not sure I got it in the right place though around the lens.    It moved okay and did not seem to bind up or anything. Then I tried it on the camera. Takes pics and zooms the full amount, but it seems to have some noise to it when I move the zoom gear on the camera that it did not have before.    

Any thoughts?  Is it okay to use like this?  Any idea what might be making that noise now and/or is this a concern?  Should I take the zoom ring back off and try putting it back on again?  Leave it as is?   Do I need to have it in the right place around the lens?  Not sure where to go and what to do right now. HELP wanted please?

I am concerned about it being okay since I am getting ready to be in the water for 3 weeks. I leave in 2 weeks.  I went by my local photo shop today and they do not "repair" inner workings as they put it.  So they were not any help to me at all - except to give me a name of a place 4 hours away.  

Thanks for any help you have - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#2 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi Pam,

The exact same thing happened to me two years ago on my first day in Isla Mujeres to shoot Whale Sharks.  I was freaking out.   I took it off and put it back on several times taking care to keep the black "tape" inside the zoom ring from crimping and I went ahead and used it.   It was a bit loose though and sometimes zooming it in and out was not very smooth, but it worked.  I tried to minimize the amount of zooming I did.  It got me through the sessions, but it was a bit touchy.  

So, you might pull it off and put it back on and just take care the black tape is not folding over or crimped in any way and then just use it.  I don't think you will have enough time to get it fixed before the trip, but you could send an email to Tokina and ask -- they might be able to do a rush job:

Send an email to:   repairs@thkphoto.com

When I got back to the states I sent it to them and they fixed it for $70 including return shipping.  Here's where I sent it:

THK Photo Products
7642 Woodwind Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
ATTN: Repair Dept.

It took about two weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry.

Good luck!

John

Edited by johnspierce, 04 May 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#3 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks John. Great information and help.  I will try it this afternoon and see what happens. I thought everything seemed pretty sticky Tape in the inside helps to explain it. I was sorry worried I did not look at everything too close. I just wanted to get it back on and hoped it worked.

Pam   

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#4 mcgowman

mcgowman

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like the same issue I had a while ago.  I don't have my lens with me, so am going from memory here...

I will assume you had to remove the rubber grip on Tokina to install the zoom gear??

On mine, it looked like the fine tape that held the zoom ring in place failed and the ring fell off.  Not sure if it failed because of heat or stress from leaving my zoom gear installed... 

So, I removed the original tape and residual adhesive, then reinstalled using plain electrical tape.  The width of standard electrical tape was too wide to fit into the groove/gap where the rubber grip was installed, so I had to trim the tape width down to make it fit (used an exacto knife and metal straight edge).  Then reinstalled the zoom gear.

The thickness of standard electrical tape is greater than the original tape.  It made my Nauticam zoom gear fit a bit snug, but no issues since then.  Looks like you have an Aquatica setup, hope the same process works for you.

#5 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I use superglue to glue the pieces back together. Happens quite often with the Nikon version of the lens.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#6 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Not sure if this is your problem, but I had problems with the Aquatica zoom ring coming off of the lens when I was adjusting the focal length underwater. The lens was still functional as the zoom ring on the lens did not come loose.  I drilled and tapped for three 6-32 stainless steel set screws at 120 degree intervals set to align with the rubber o-rings on the inside of the Aquatica zoom gear. I then installed the zoom gear on the lens and tightened the set screws to be just snug, not real tight. The trick is to get the set screws properly aligned.

Worked great. Since then, the zoom ring has not moved on the lens.

If I were going on a dive trip where this lens is critical, I'd overnight it to THK for rush repairs. Or you can rent lens from a few outfits. There is one outfit near LAX in Los Angeles. A google search should find some options.

PS> I looked at my 10-17 and cannot imagine how the LENS zoom ring can come off without dismantling the entire lens. I assume that you're referring to the zoom ring for the housing. Or do you mean the rubber covering on the lens zoom ring?

#7 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Great topic. I have the exact same problem with my 10-17 on my Aquatica housing and kinda thought I would be alone with this issue. I managed to put it back together and loaded back in the housing prior to my trip but it took me about 10 attempts as everytime I tried to put the camera in the housing the zoom ring would catch on the wheel and pull the rubber ring and tape off the lens.

Hopefully I'll find someone in Singapore who can repair this.

#8 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thanks everyone. Electrical tape sounds like a good option.  

Divengolf....I am talking about the zoom piece on the actual lens itself.  I have also experienced the problem you mentioned though.

Okay....I have worked with it this evening.  That black tape on the inside is SO easy to fold up and was not easy to get straightened out. It seems to have lost some of its stickiness in some places.  Took me several stabs and it is still has places not quite right, but it is back on and workable.  It is still making a slight noise when using on the camera - when you zoom in on the 10mm end of the lens - but it is usable for my trip as is.  

I do plan on calling Tokina Monday morning and see what they tell me.  

I will post anything that Tokina says after I talk with them. 

Happy diving - Pam 

Edited by DiverPam, 04 May 2013 - 07:55 PM.

The Fin Foundation

#9 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I used packing tape trimmed to the width of the slot in the Tokina lens. It's thinner than electrical tape.

This is a common problem with the 10-17. Now I'm careful how I pack the lens so the gear won't come off again.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#10 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Phew, thought this was me being a doofus but seems like everybody is at it. i stuck mine back together with sticky tape in true blue peter style and it works fine now.

#11 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I talked with a rep in the Tokina repair department today. He did not sound surprised at my issue and seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. He assured me that they could get it repaired and back to me before the 16th so I could have it on my trip.  I am going to overnight it to them in the morning.  We had a short discussion how I use this lens, and he was very aware of the love underwater photographers have for this lens and completely got why I wanted this back for the trip.   At least I got hold of someone who understands a little bit. It makes it so much harder when a rep does not get it,   

Electrical tape is in my "tool kit/fix it" bag when I travel.  It is SO useful.   

Will update you when I get it back and let you know how it turns out.   I decided to have it repaired through Tokina since I have so many trips planned this year and do not want it giving out on me in the middle of a trip and no way to fix it. 

Happy diving - Pam

The Fin Foundation

#12 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

I talked with a rep in the Tokina repair department today. He did not sound surprised at my issue and seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. He assured me that they could get it repaired and back to me before the 16th so I could have it on my trip.  I am going to overnight it to them in the morning.  We had a short discussion how I use this lens, and he was very aware of the love underwater photographers have for this lens and completely got why I wanted this back for the trip.   At least I got hold of someone who understands a little bit. It makes it so much harder when a rep does not get it,   

Electrical tape is in my "tool kit/fix it" bag when I travel.  It is SO useful.   

Will update you when I get it back and let you know how it turns out.   I decided to have it repaired through Tokina since I have so many trips planned this year and do not want it giving out on me in the middle of a trip and no way to fix it. 

Happy diving - Pam

That sounds like a great deal Pam!  They fixed mine almost two years ago and it's been rock solid ever since...

safe diving,

John

#13 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

I still think that it's prudent to install the set screws on the zoom gear and leave it installed on the lens. This locks everything in place. Nothing can slip as long as you don't use unreasonable force when operating the zoom gear. I've done this with all of my zoom gears and have never had one slip since.

Just my 2 psi.

#14 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I still think that it's prudent to install the set screws on the zoom gear and leave it installed on the lens. This locks everything in place. Nothing can slip as long as you don't use unreasonable force when operating the zoom gear. I've done this with all of my zoom gears and have never had one slip since.

Just my 2 psi.

I had been doing this.I found it easier to store that way as well as transport.  I just kept mine on the lens. Even so, the ring on the actual lens still came off.     Still not sure if that helped add to this problem or not.   

Has this been the case with the rest of you where this has happened? Have all of us been keeping our external zoom gear (housing gear) attached? 

Thanks for the input - Pam 

The Fin Foundation

#15 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I had been doing this.I found it easier to store that way as well as transport.  I just kept mine on the lens. Even so, the ring on the actual lens still came off.     Still not sure if that helped add to this problem or not.   

Has this been the case with the rest of you where this has happened? Have all of us been keeping our external zoom gear (housing gear) attached? 

Yes, I was leaving my housing zoom gear tightened onto the zoom collar of the lens.  I personally think this contributed to it coming loose.  The Tokina zoom collar as you now know is not even screwed on to the lens -- it's just pressure-fitted with a bit of plastic tape to hold it in place.  Keeping the housing gear fastened to the lens could make it loosen if something else in your camera case pushed against one side of the zoom gear.  Just my opinion, but I think it's better to keep the housing zoom ring off the lens when not using it.

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 07 May 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#16 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Yes I've been keeping it attached also.

#17 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

The Tokina rep called me today.   They have my lens and are working on it.   He and I talked about the problem and I let him know that there are others who have experienced the same thing but have not sent their lens in for repair.  He has a meeting with the techs from Japan next month and says he will bring this up with the group.   Do not know what that will mean - if anything - but hopefully they will actually discuss it and incorporate this issue into how they address their lens.  

Pam 

The Fin Foundation

#18 gecko1

gecko1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Same thing happened to me. It seems like it was designed to be pressure fit with a bit of sticky tape to give more grip. So I removed the expired tape put in some 2 sided sticky tape on the black plastic barrel of the lens itself and slid the zoom ring back on. Works fine. Never really felt the need to send it back in.

My guess is that the zoom gear wasn't designed for the stresses of having a zoom gear added (also by pressure fit which exerts lateral pressure on the ring). That and the additional torque from the gear probably loosens the ring over time.

Clinton

Nikon D800, Nauticam Housing, Sigma 15 FE, Nikkor 17-35,105 VR Micro, 2x YS-350, ULCS arms, LMI Sola 800 Photo, Macromate

http://www.baue.org

http://metridium.com

#19 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Not to mention it sometimes catches on the internal zoom gear on the housing which puts lateral stresses on the ring as you try and install the camera. Thats how mine came off.

Edited by PIG004, 09 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#20 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Lens arrived today - 2 days earlier than promised!  So it will be in my gear bag as I leave this weekend.   Everything works great - no noise in the movement now, the zoom portion is not loose and everything worked fine on the camera while taking pictures outside this afternoon.  

Real test comes in the water Monday - with zoom gear on the lens and in the housing being put though the paces being used.

Tokina customer service has been spot on for me during this VERY RUSH job.  So, it seems like this was worth the overnight and repair costs as compared to the cost of a new lens.   

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. If every happens again, I always have electrical tape as my backup plan. Happy diving - Pam  

The Fin Foundation