• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

I have recently bought parts to make a small tripod out of my ULCS tray. Ideally I would like to fold the legs and take it with me all the time and make it neutral however as a tripod it is probably best to have it quite negative.

I have been thinking of a clip with a weight to attach to it when I leave it behind and still have it quite light when I hold it as a tray

Has anybody got some experiences with a similar set up?

More in general what are the tips and techniques using tripod and what are the key limitations?

I have a trip to Bunaken and Lembeh in 11 days and am planning to use the tripod in Lembeh only as Bunaken is walls

#2 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

I will be doing something very similar in Fiji.  I'll be using the ULCS tripod and a clip weight to anchor it down.  But for me the dives will be planned for tripod use and I will not be carrying it with me each dive. This is to say that I will not be employing any neutral buoyancy mechanisms as this to me creates too much planing and extra gear/work to fiddle with underwater. 

Edited by Kelpfish, 05 May 2013 - 04:51 AM.

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#3 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Maybe you can buy a tank weight pouch and use a short length of webbing to connect it to the tripod. Then, when you need weight, just pop in a 1kg weight from the dive boat.

I've used tripods but, in the end, prefer a monopod. Just seems to be more versatile. Can also work straight forwards onto a wall. Not so good for set and swim away shots but I can usually find a rock or two for the other two points.

Main limitation of a tripod is getting it pointed in the right direction. Unless you have some kind of ball head, making fine adjustments in direction is fiddly.

Bunaken does have some places where you might use a tripod. It is not all walls.

Regards
Peter

#4 errbrr

errbrr

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

I carry an additional 3lb threaded weight and loop it through a bit of string attached to the centre if my tripod for this purpose. When not in use I put the weight in a pocket instead. Carrying around extra weight is still a pain - you end up with a lot of extra air in your BCD to compensate, which you have to dump each time you put the tripod down. It's worth it for dedicated tripod dives, but I wouldn't do it every time.

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I have not been particularly clear. I do not have a tripod as such (as the tripod hole in the tray in not in the center but quite on the left and the camera is off balance)

I have legs that extend from the tray itself and they are always there.

I will post a picture of the set up some time soon to show what I mean

#6 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

If you could find something that is easily removed, you could wrap lead tape around it...

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ok the rig I plan to use is here

http://interceptor12...-lx7-video-rig/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tripod