Photo
- - - - -

Bluewater WA-110 + Ikelite LX-7 housing = Useless!!!!!

WA-110 Epoque DCL-30 Ikelite LX-7

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

First of all, the WA-110 is actually the Epoque DCL-30, it's exactly it (the box, the manual, the label on the lens etc). So I don't understand why there is a need of selling it as a different thing. You don't go to McDonold to buy a BigMac and try to sell it off as a Burger King Whopper, why?????? This really make research so difficult as people mentioned the WA-110 COULD be Epoque DCL-30 but there is no actual proof of it, or in depth expose of the product face lift situation.

Anyway, I asked question if the lens will work in the Ikelite housing, and I was told it will work well, and the lens is very sharp etc.

Guess what? I tried it at the pool, and it's not true. The LX-7 have to zoomed to 50mm to get rid of vignette!!!! I was expecting to need to zoom to 28mm or around 35mm, as the lens is designed for 28mm camera. The lens is 110 degree field of view compare to 100 of the Inon H100 so I figure if I need to zoom further in than the Inon, it would be about the same factoring that the angle is wider on the WA-110.

The fact that the camera has to be at 50mm to use the lens is just make it useless, the camera is better off at 24mm without the WA lens.

I think there are two issues that contribute to this problem:

1. The lens port of the ikelite is longer, so you have a bigger gab between the housing glass and the back of the lens.

2. The WA lens barrel itself is longer than the Inon-H100.

Regardless, stay away from the WA-110 unless you're using a 28mm camera to avoid the risks as you have less head room of error by going with a 24mm camera.

I don't know what I would do with the WA-110 now, I can only hope in the future when a new version of Sony RX100 come out, it would have a 28mm lens like it's now, and fix all the short coming it currently has when come to video feature and ease of menu navigation.

You all been warn!!!!

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Don't want to say I told you so, but I did

however...

I think you can talk to Scott and he will take it back

He does sell the Inon UWL-H100 and you want a type 1 for the Ikelite

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

I know you told me so, but Scott told me it will work, and his video mentioned LX-7 and I specifically asked him (3 times!) about it. I mean who would try to make that kind of claim in sales pitch and not be able to back it up?

I emailed Scott and he's out until May 12, and I have asked his company at the sales email, so far I didn't hear anything back. I did ask if I could exchange for the H100. The WA-110 been in the pool so I don't have high hope, and I won't be a returning customer if that's the case.

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Scott is a great guy but I would not assume he tests each combination of housing and lens. The Epoque lens used to work at 28mm on the LX5 but does not on the LX7 maybe Scott thought it would have been the same but it is not, the LX7 has a much larger lens.

This lens rear element is just too small for the huge lens of the LX7 and this gives problem even to the Inon lens, however this still works fine at 28mm even with the LD bayonet I recently converted to.

I am sure you will find a suitable agreement

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yes, to his and his team's credit, they asked me to send the lens back and see what they can do. If there is no sign of being use, they could offer a refund.

So you think the Inon uwl-h100 28m67 type 1 will work, even on Ikelite housing? What would be the worse case, that I need to zoom to 35mm?

I did think about the worse case situation of bringing my Sanyo with the UFL-165AD during wreck dive, and for night dive and macro, I would use the LX-7......finger crossed, let's hope it all will work out.

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

You need to measure the distance between the glass and the front of the thread.

If the gap is more than 7mm (of which 3mm is the thread itself) then go for type 1 otherwise go for type 2.

Usually Ikelite have recessed port but I would double check to avoid issues.

The Inon lens vignettes much less than the epoque and this is due to the lens being larger and also sitting closer to the glass

If you were having so much vignette with the epoque it is possible that the port is recessed demanding a type 1 Inon lens

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Just measured the Ikelite, from the glass to the front of the thread, it's 8mm, so Type 1 it is.

#8 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

BTW, what's the distance from glass to front of thread on the Nauticam?

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

BTW, what's the distance from glass to front of thread on the Nauticam?

4mm on nauticam
I would bet the UWL-H100 type 1 will not vignette at 28mm

#10 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks! Ordered the UWL-H100 Type 1, should be getting it this Friday and hopefully I can try it out at the pool this Sunday, will be flying out next Sunday. So many things to pack!

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

You don't need to go to the pool to test vignetting just fill a sink and immerse the whole camera into it

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Looks like I won't be getting my own Inon UWL-H100 because Reef & Photo do not have it and it's in back order (Bluewater only have Type 2). I spoke with the dive shop that organize the trip and he has one that he can loan it to me. Let's hope it all work out. Somehow I have nightmare about dropping that lens in to the deep sea while attaching to the lens holder, the travel stress must have gotten to me!

#13 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

What about getting a type 2 lens and then trying to find the type 1 ring elsewhere?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#14 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Bluewater do have Type 2, and Reef & Photo has the Type 2 to Type 1 conversion ring ($49+shipping). But I'm still waiting from Reef & Photo to confirm if they won't be able to get it in time. But then I still have the option to borrow from the dive shop that organize the trip. When I get home today, I will try to pack and see if I have room for the Sanyo and the UFL-165AD, just in case.

I do hope some day they will release a WA for 24mm camera.

#15 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

I think you better check that the dive shop you are going has the UWL-H100 with H not just the UWL-100 that would be useless You want to leave for the trip knowing that you have no surprises when you get there

#16 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

The guy from the dive shop has a RX100, so I'm pretty sure he has the H100, the question is if he has a Type 1 or Type 2. Anyway, I manage to pack my Sanyo with the UFL-165AD. I will be doing a couple wreck dives in Thailand, so the 165 degree will come in handy as you said the H100 is not that enough for wreck. I have cancelled my UWL-H100 order with Reef & Photo as they can offer the Type 2 UWL-H100, Type 1 conversion ring, and expetited shipping, all just add up to be quite expensive. Since I can pack my Sanyo+165AD, I would just use it for this trip, it will also give me some time to cool of and wait for the market to make a WA for 24mm camera.

For the Sanyo, I will shoot at 1080p 60fps, if the image is shaky, hopefully it won't lose too much detail if I need to post stabilize it.

#17 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I think the H100 is enough for wrecks or at least it was enough for me. I do not think you need more. Also you need to check about the dome alignment with the UFL165 on the Sanyo

I do not think a lens for 24mm can actually be created. The UWL-H100 does not vignette at 24mm with small lenses camera like the Canon S110 but the LX7 is different

Maybe you could get a Nauticam Wet Mate not that wide for wrecks but excellent all around lens

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#18 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, I suppose the wet mate would be a good all around lens to restore the LX-7 to its original fov, is that around 80 degree? I'm not sure how long I will stick with the LX-7, it really is depend on how it perform I guess. I'm concern about its battery life. I tried it on the pool the other day and the battery almost drain in just one pool session. With the Sanyo, I can get 2.5 dives out of one battery.

#19 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Nope battery life is excellent. Was the battery new or had you used it before a bit? It takes few cycles to get up to speed

Wet mate is good as you can zoom recommended more tham the UWL-H100 for video

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#20 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Ok,I will order a Wet mate since it's cheap and I have money since I'm not getting the UWL-H100. It should work on the Ikelite housing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WA-110, Epoque DCL-30, Ikelite LX-7