11 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

Hi all,

have just posted a news article about Adobe's announcement that it plans to only offer subscription based access to its programs in future on the front page:

http://wetpixel.com/...ive-cloud-plans

It would be good to get people's reactions to this, either on here, or even better, via the comments (Disqus) feature on the front page!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have to be on the internet to use their software? What if I'm on a boat several days away from civilization?

#3 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have to be on the internet to use their software? What if I'm on a boat several days away from civilization?

I asked the Adobe Creative Cloud "Evangelist" at NAB about this... he said that the software only needs to check in about once a month. If you plan to be in the field with no internet for more than a month, you can call in to get a special code for the trip. 

BTW, they were also passing out $29/mo coupons at NAB; am guessing that, at least for now, it shouldn't be too hard to get the $29/mo price even without owning current CS products. 

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Well with piracy the way it is, it's not surprising.  I've always hated the way the software worked where you need to reauthorize if you rebuild a boot volume or something.  

Not sure how they are going to make the same money but at least the piracy will be cut off somewhat.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

So every time I fire up an Adobe product I will have to have an internet connection to use it? Or is it just updates over the internet?

If I have to have an internet connection to use the product, doubt I will upgrade. There could be many occasions were I don't have access to the internet. Even just my local Brighthouse service being out. CS3 already did everything I needed for photography, so even CS6 was not really an essential upgrade for me. Funny I was just about to switch from Aperture to Lightroom.... guess I will stay with Aperture for the time being.

I hate being forced onto the cloud. Some things it's great to have on the cloud, others it's just fine for me to be in total control.

Edited by loftus, 11 May 2013 - 03:53 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

So every time I fire up an Adobe product I will have to have an internet connection to use it? Or is it just updates over the internet?

If I have to have an internet connection to use the product, doubt I will upgrade. There could be many occasions were I don't have access to the internet. Even just my local Brighthouse service being out. CS3 already did everything I needed for photography, so even CS6 was not really an essential upgrade for me. Funny I was just about to switch from Aperture to Lightroom.... guess I will stay with Aperture for the time being.

I hate being forced onto the cloud. Some things it's great to have on the cloud, others it's just fine for me to be in total control.

Here's their cloud Q&A: http://www.adobe.com...ecloud/faq.html

Q. Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?

Answer: No.  Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline.

Edited by Kelpfish, 11 May 2013 - 04:30 AM.

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for that. What's not clear from their answer regarding ' What happens if I decide to stop my membership', is exactly what happens. My question is will I still be able to fire up Photoshop, edit my images exactly as I do now, or is there some functionality that I will lose for day to day work? They do state that one has to log on at least every 30 days. Put another way, I know there are advantages for Adobe to this idea, just can't see any real advantages for me.

Edited by loftus, 11 May 2013 - 05:14 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for that. What's not clear from their answer regarding ' What happens if I decide to stop my membership', is exactly what happens. My question is will I still be able to fire up Photoshop, edit my images exactly as I do now, or is there some functionality that I will lose for day to day work? They do state that one has to log on at least every 30 days. Put another way, I know there are advantages for Adobe to this idea, just can't see any real advantages for me.

Yea I hear ya.  My guess is that since you are now "renting" the software, it will become unusable if you do not renew each year. They really got you by the balls, paying in perpetuity.  PS alone is $20 a month, forever.  That includes all the upgrades, but most of those include fancy features that I don't need, so I can live with a version for quite some time.

Edited by Kelpfish, 11 May 2013 - 05:26 AM.

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Just watched this video on Youtube.

Sure hope Lightroom doesn't end up on the cloud as well.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well it seems people seem to see a product as a right vs a service that a company provides.  If one can't afford whatever price they sell, then one can move to another piece of software they can afford.  If Adobe can't sell enough, they'll modify their pricing strategy.

So write in to tell them why you won't buy into the cloud and move to a competitor.  There are many programs which can fill the CS niche.  Not as integrated but hey if there's a market, I'm sure someone will write it as an app... only to be bought by a big company! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 folivier1

folivier1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

I have resisted anything "cloud related" since we live in a motorhome and are constantly moving to another area.  We do have a Verizon based internet access but are limited to a certain bandwidth.  And are frequently in areas that have little to no internet access.  We may be in an area without internet for a week or more, the same as if travelling for diving.

So I guess I'll start migrating from Adobe products....    That's the problem with any "works for everyone" decisions.

#12 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

I too am struggling with this. I don't like the idea of monthly payments...I okay with them when it comes to house, car, utilities....but am not okay with it when it comes to luxury items like this...I am not a professional, so justifying this cost every month doesn't work for me. If I have the money....I buy it. If not, then I hold off. I am software sales,an that has to justify the cloud and monthly payments everyday. But the situation is drastically different with adobe.

Personally I think the piracy issue isn't going to stop. The hackers will always find a way. Heck, the program is still loaded on the machine...you just have to check in to verify the license....hackers will figure that out, guaranteed!

If any of us that don't do this professionally, were to get laid off from our jobs and had to cut back expenses....there goes photoshop. As this isnt a necessity. It is a expendable expense, that if things get tight, you cut.. You can no longer use it. That just isn't acceptable. I hope adobe feels it, because of this decision. I personally will continue to use cs6 until it doesn't work for me anymore, and then change to other software packages. For video, there are arguably better editing software than premiere...need to figure out what to replace photoshop with, and Lightroom. Adobe has seen the last of my money.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube