2 replies to this topic

#1 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I am headed to Tokyo for work in a couple of weeks.  I'll be returning the first week of June and would like to book a stopover at a dive location along the way.  Any ideas?

A little background ...

• I've been to every major Hawaiian island except Maui, which I'd like to reserve for a trip with my wife.
  • I've been diving on Guam. Loved it but want to go somewhere different.
  • I've considered Okinawa, but I'd prefere something that I can book as part of my return flight at not much additional expense.
  • I am open to diving on the Japanese mainland, but don't have any experience/context from which to gauge the diving there.
  • I am a photographer/videographer, so I'd like to see some critters.
  • I live in Vegas, but past experience has me routed through either LAX or JFK, but likely JFK.

Thanks for the input.

dd

#2 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

In my mind, Palau would make the most sense.  Delta has a direct flight from NRT to ROR.  Then you could take United back home from there.  Or go back to Tokyo.   Plus if you are worried about how to get it expensed....then you could just pay for the Tokyo to ROR out of your own pocket, thus not screwing up your expense report.

As for critters...Palau isn't the best, It has some but not a lot.  but it is still got great diving.  Much better than Guam or Hawaii. You aren't going to great critters unless you go down to the Philippines or Indonesia. 

Truk is also there too....best wreck diving in the world.  But would be harder to get to than Palau.  

Hope that helps.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#3 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Dustin - That does help.  Thanks.

Just found out the communter flights from NRT to OKA are only around $150.  With abundant sea snakes, OKA might be back on the list.