2 replies to this topic

#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

My wife has an Olympus E-PM1 and the Olympus housing and the instructions tell us to set the camera to underwater mode.  Their manual is as clear as mud on how to do this.  First, is it really necessary to set it to this mode? If she is shooting in RAW I'd think it won't matter if all the setting does is control WB.  But if the underwater setting actually affects mechanical functionality like wide angle and macro functionality, then I guess I will need to figure it out.  Can anyone shed some light on this and help me out?

I did try to follow the manual and it replaced the video record button with something else and I couldn't shoot video.  I reset the camera to factory default and am back to square one.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1533 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I believe that some olympus housings (if you are using electrical sync) use the underwater mode to allow the flash to fire even if it is down.  If that is true you are stuck using it that way I think.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

I thought so, Bill.  Her old Olympus 5060 set up was hard wired and required that special set up.  Her current system is all fiber optic.  Thanks for the help, that answers my question.

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com