Photo
- - - - -

First Place Video - Classic - SEA International 2013

SEA NCUPS philippines indonesia competition bobbit worm pygmy octopus canon nudibranch

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hello all,

The folks over at the SEA International Photo and Video competition (NCUPS). have announced the winners of this years Video competition. They run a great organization, and I recommend anyone who is interested to enter in next years competition. This year I was lucky enough to have placed in first place in the Classic category. I have to admit, I am pretty excited about this, as this the first competition I have ever entered.  

Have a look if you have a few minutes. Feel free to Share, Like, and Comment on it.  

I value all the opinions here on Wetpixel, so if there are things that you think I could do better, please feel free to chime in.  I am always looking to improve.

Thanks,
Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wonderful!  It's not often that I watch a vid on the internet and when it ends I wish that it had gone on for longer!  Congrats on your win - it looks well deserved :)

Cheers, Simon

#3 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well done mate.

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#4 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Exciting encounters.  Well done.

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#5 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Well done Dustin, lovely film.

Jo H

Sony XR520, Aditech Mangrove housing, Fix 1000 LED lights.

#6 dykvideo

dykvideo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Diving and sailing.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

Beautiful colors(-;

Søren

www.dykvideo.dk

#7 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Very nice! Great lighting.

#8 RestlessDeviant

RestlessDeviant

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Wow...

Insane close ups and skill with lighting.  Well deserved win

Shit... Makes me think about going night diving again! It's been years

Edited by RestlessDeviant, 14 May 2013 - 01:19 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SensationDiveVideos

#9 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Fabulous- a well deserved win. 

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Very nice work Dustin. Full frame looks so challenging for macro because of shallow depth of field but you did good. Great lighting. Great music.

Suggestions for improvement...

Use some straight cuts instead of cross-dissolving every single transition.

And move your copyright notice right out into the corner. It's distracting where it is. You'd still qualify for statutory damages under US copyright law if someone crops it out.

Also if you're using a royalty-free CC licence, make sure it's CC-BY and not CC-BY-ND, which doesn't cover syncing to music, or CC-BY-SA, which requires you to share your video under the same licence.

What did the stargazer eat?

#11 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well done Dustin, lovely film.

Thanks Jo. Your films were also great! Congrats on your several placings.

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#12 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Very nice work Dustin. Full frame looks so challenging for macro because of shallow depth of field but you did good. Great lighting. Great music.

Suggestions for improvement...

Use some straight cuts instead of cross-dissolving every single transition.

And move your copyright notice right out into the corner. It's distracting where it is. You'd still qualify for statutory damages under US copyright law if someone crops it out.

Also if you're using a royalty-free CC licence, make sure it's CC-BY and not CC-BY-ND, which doesn't cover syncing to music, or CC-BY-SA, which requires you to share your video under the same licence.

What did the stargazer eat?

Thanks Nick.

I appreciate the tips. I don't mind doing a straight cut, but the music I feel has to work with it.

As for the music, I believe it is cc-by-Nd, which to my understanding, that is usable. http://weblogs.about...ivecommons.org/
This link shows what it allows for, and don't see any problem with it.....unless there is something I don't understand.

Thanks again,

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

Excellent work. Congratulations.   The lighting created a nice mood and you had the camera fixed on a tripod for stable shots.  I do think you will need to get a focus gear for your 100mm. I appreciate you tried to get the rack focus look with the ghost pipefish but you could've done it better with a real rack focus.  It would've worked with a few other shots as well in your clip.

You may also want to consider rearranging the sequences to tell more of a story.  Right now, it's just a collection of cool clips.  Having a storyline gives a clip more life as it were.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#14 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

Thanks Jo. Your films were also great! Congrats on your several placings.

Dustin

Thanks Dustin. I look forward to seeing more of your great footage!! :clapping:

Jo H

Sony XR520, Aditech Mangrove housing, Fix 1000 LED lights.

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

All that in 3 minutes, really well done.  No matter how great a film is, 3 years down the road you will see things that you will want to change but, by then, the time to move on has come.  Very nice music and, you're right, it does set the ambience.  Agree with all of Nick's suggestions.  Never the less, loved it and it is rare that I like music videos.

Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#16 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

All that in 3 minutes, really well done.  No matter how great a film is, 3 years down the road you will see things that you will want to change but, by then, the time to move on has come.  Very nice music and, you're right, it does set the ambience.  Agree with all of Nick's suggestions.  Never the less, loved it and it is rare that I like music videos.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I appreciate your feedback.  I am glad you enjoyed it.

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#17 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Excellent work. Congratulations.   The lighting created a nice mood and you had the camera fixed on a tripod for stable shots.  I do think you will need to get a focus gear for your 100mm. I appreciate you tried to get the rack focus look with the ghost pipefish but you could've done it better with a real rack focus.  It would've worked with a few other shots as well in your clip.

You may also want to consider rearranging the sequences to tell more of a story.  Right now, it's just a collection of cool clips.  Having a storyline gives a clip more life as it were.

Showing my ignorance.....What is Rack focus?  And will it work for Ikelite, 5d mark ii with a manual focus port from Ike?  I am interested in hearing more about this.

Thanks for the comments Drew.  I appreciate it.

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#18 escape

escape

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Very nice, well done.

#19 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Rack Focus is a very commonly used technique in both TV and movies.   In a layman's explanation, you have something or someone in the foreground and something or someone else in the background.   Rack Focus will occur when the subject in the foreground is sharply in focus but then the cameraman adjusts the focus to sharply focus the background bringing the foreground subject out of focus.  It can go either way and is fairly easy to do.  Productions houses will often have a focus puller do the job while the cameraman simply works the camera.  Try it a few times for yourself and you will find that you can pick it up pretty quick.  Know how far you have to go to focus on the background when switching from the foreground so that you don't go too far with it.  All techniques and tricks are good when you don't use them too often.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#20 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Rack Focus is a very commonly used technique in both TV and movies.   In a layman's explanation, you have something or someone in the foreground and something or someone else in the background.   Rack Focus will occur when the subject in the foreground is sharply in focus but then the cameraman adjusts the focus to sharply focus the background bringing the foreground subject out of focus.  It can go either way and is fairly easy to do.  Productions houses will often have a focus puller do the job while the cameraman simply works the camera.  Try it a few times for yourself and you will find that you can pick it up pretty quick.  Know how far you have to go to focus on the background when switching from the foreground so that you don't go too far with it.  All techniques and tricks are good when you don't use them too often.

That makes sense. Thanks Steve. Although, I think it be hard to do underwater, with the way the manual focus works on the Ike..I have to sort of push the knob in and then turn. Potentially distrupti g the stability the tri pod provides.

I will give it a go though.

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SEA, NCUPS, philippines, indonesia, competition, bobbit worm, pygmy, octopus, canon, nudibranch