Photo
- - - - -

Nauticam D800 - wide-angle lenses and domes

d800 dome port wide-angle lens 17-35mm 10-17mm sharpness quality nikon nauticam 16mm

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 christianloader

christianloader

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi all,

I've recently just upgraded to a Nikon D800 with Nauticam housing.

I've only done a few dives with the new rig so far, unfortunately in pretty terrible viz, but have noticed a couple of issues with my wide-angle set-ups: 

- Nikon 17-35mm, & Nauticam 9" optical glass dome & 70mm ext ring. -  corner sharpness is quite poor.

- Tokina 10-17mm & Kenko 1.4x teleconverter, with Nauticam mini dome (for the 10-17) & 20mm ext ring - slight vignetting visible at its widest focal length.

Is anyone using the same lenses as me but with different dome ports? how do you like the results?

Is anyone using a Nikon 16mm fisheye on a D800? How does it compare to a 10-17 with a 1.4xTC?

The 2 images attached: Nikon 17-35mm, Nauticam 9" optical glass dome & 70mm ext ring, 17mm, 1/200s, f9, ISO160, natural light. (The 2nd image shows the blur in the bottom-left corner of the 1st image).

My general question to any D800 users (ideally, Nauticam users too) is, which wide-angle set-up do you find gives you the best results in terms of corner sharpness?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Cheers,

Christian

note to Alex Mustard:  i read in a previous D800 post last year you may have written a piece discussing wide-angle lenses and domes for FX cameras? If you have, i'd love to have a read as i'm sure you have the magic answers! thanks.

Attached Images

• TARP, Sabah-1.jpg
  • TARP, Sabah-2.jpg

[size="4"]

[font="Arial Black"]Christian Loader

500px.com/christianloader

#2 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hey Christian, 

I am using a d800 in a Nauticam with the 16-35 behind the 9" glass dome.  I find this setup works well, but you still need to stop down to get the best results.  

Have you tried shooting at say f 11 ? 

www.aquaseen.com

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

I use the 15mm Sigma and get pictures sharp as a tack from corner to corner with both the Hugyfot acrylic dome and the Sea & Sea optical glass dome. It must be lens related.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yo Chris

The Tokina +1.4x is still too wide for a D800. You need to get it to 11mm for no vignetting.

As for the 17-35, if I remember it had a bit of field curvature so try going to f11 at least.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

note to Alex Mustard:  i read in a previous D800 post last year you may have written a piece discussing wide-angle lenses and domes for FX cameras? If you have, i'd love to have a read as i'm sure you have the magic answers! thanks.

I am sure I have. But we don't have a reviews listing anymore on Wetpixel - so these things are a pain to find! I'll have a look.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

There is some stuff here:

http://wetpixel.com/...ic=46334&page=9

And also here:

http://wetpixel.com/...es-subal-nd4/P3

I don't see the point in using the 10-17mm and a TC on the D800 - as you are filling your harddrives up with 36MP files, which are way off what can really be achieved in terms of resolution with that file size. A waste of space. But it will work until funds are available to purchase a Sigma 15mm.

I use the Nikon 16mm preferentially over the Sigma 15mm most of the time. But I do own both and use both. Each has merits, but there is little point in owning both.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

I used to have both but I found that I had to decide on one. I guess, Alex, you have your camera caddy following along behind with a second camera with the other lens. :)

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 christianloader

christianloader

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated. It seems the Sigma 15mm is the way to go. I'll try out the 17-35 again today and tomorrow, and will shoot at f11+ and see if the corner sharpness improves. Thanks for those links Alex, great stuff.

[size="4"]

#9 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Hi Christian,

We've found the Nikon 16-35/f4 to be perform a bit better than the 17-35/f2.8 in terms of corner sharpness. Might be something to keep in mind if you want to shoot rectilinear as opposed to going with the fisheyes, i.e. Sigma 15mm or Nikon 16mm. 

Cheers,

Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#10 christianloader

christianloader

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Here's how it looks in the pool: 1/125s, f11, ISO250

Attached Images

• 17mm 1-125 f11 ISO250.jpg
  • 17mm 1-125 f11 ISO250 corner.jpg

[size="4"]

#11 christianloader

christianloader

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

And here's 2 more shots at f13 with the nikon 17-35mm at 17mm 1/125 ISO250.

Attached Images

• 17mm 1-125 f13 ISO250.jpg
  • 17mm 1-125 f13 ISO250 corner.jpg

[size="4"]

#12 calypso3

calypso3

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:diving, sailing, mountainbike

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

A possible option could be the new Nikkor AF-S 18-35 f3.5-4.5 G ED. Small and lightweight, economical. We read of good optical and construction quality, but nothing yet on UW use....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d800, dome port, wide-angle lens, 17-35mm, 10-17mm, sharpness, quality, nikon, nauticam, 16mm