• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rafa Herrero

Rafa Herrero

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Shooting with Red Epic camera. My first two weeks with the Red Epic. Very good feeling, easy to handle, with a perfect balance. With the Rouge underwater housing.

#2 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

Amazing

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Rafa
Some great baitball and turtle action there.  There were several clips that were out of focus or at least too much motion blur.  If you are going to overcrank, you need to watch the shutter opening to at least 4x fps to freeze, depending on the look you want.  Were you using a Red Touch (or other monitor) through the windows or external monitor?  How difficult is it to see through the windows at the surface?
Also some of your blue water shots turned almost magenta on my monitor.  Some good camera work with the opening sequences, but the focus and shutter speed didn't match some of the action in the baitball.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Rafa Herrero

Rafa Herrero

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

I appreciate your accurate comments. They are my first shots with the camera and everything is new to me. I had an additional problem with fish ball, the lack of light, the sunset was near.

I know magenta is a problem that brings the underwater Epic. I thought I had solved  it in the REDCINE-x Pro, on my monitor not appreciate magenta  :fool:

Thank you very much. Your comments are of great help me 

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Great work Rafa as always. Love the turtle shots.

Regarding the magenta hue, I have found that issue too on some shots and yes Redcine X can correct it to some extent but I have also found that exposure is very critical. Most RED users shoot at 800 iso but for underwater I have found shooting at 400 and really pushing the image to a higher exposure (be very careful not to clip as you will get horrid pink over exposed areas) and then in post use curves to pull colour back in the specific areas.

Although you are shooting RAW I have also found shooting with filtration has helped especially when shooting shallow, it makes the blue's bluer and not magenta. I have tested both magic filters (great but you do loose two stops of light) and also some lighter orange gels with pretty good success.

The post with RED is pretty hardcore and alot harder than HD 2/3 or 1/2 cameras. I have now shot over 120 hours underwater with my RED now and am still learning and tweaking.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hi Jon

Are you using the solid type magic filter or the gel type?

I just shoot default 800 and then bring down to lower to 320 if I could if the exposure is good. Least compression as possible, fast lens and custom rectilinear port (will reveal later what I am doing here). The magenta hue is sometimes a real pain. The footage I get out of the Epic/Scarlet is wonderful most of the time but sometimes its not so great. There is no consistency about it. I always try to bring lights down when ambient lighting turns footage mushy and always check the RGB histogram.

I will be testing the Rouge myself soon. The window on the housing is not ideal for daylight near the surface. I think I might hook up a small HD monitor in a housing for that.

Sorry Rafa for hi-jacking your thread. Great footage BTW and I am very impressed with the combination of camera and housing. I can't wait to try mine. 

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#7 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi David,

Gel type, taped on the back of the lens. Not ideal but it works. Your port sounds very interesting.....

I actually don't think the magenta thing is limited to just underwater I see it a lot in surface videos too. I also think that it just has a different 'look' than the classic Sony Ex1 look which everyone is used too.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#8 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi Jon

Yes I have tested it in Lembeh Straits with the Nikon 14-24 f2.8. One of the most difficult lens for dome ports. Lembeh is not known for wide angle. Only at some dive sites where I can use it. I have some footage but have not much time colour correcting or editing it yet. The edge to edge is definitely pretty sharp at F8. Contrast and detail is there. Even in poor vis the detail of the debris is highly visible ..LOL. I don't want to broadcast the port prematurely so until I have tested the footage first for resolution.

Back on the topic of the magenta hue. The EX1 is 3 chip (or chips) each colour is separated and process before combining I believe. It not like S35 or single chip where a filter is used. Every S35 sensor camera I know from Sony to the Red Epic etc seems to have problems sometimes with magenta and cyan in certain conditions and especially for UW. Canon C-series seems to be different and I guess the way the sensor separates the colours and extra green channel (i could be wrong) seems to make a big difference. During the ADEX show I showed both 2K footage on a 57" LED TV. There were many friends with Epic and C300 footage wanting to show off. These are from people shooting almost everyday in some of the best dive sites in Indo.  One thing I noticed is the canon C300 footage is very consistent where as footage derived from Epic/Scarlet varies from stunning to quite poor. I think it could be how different people utilizes the red r3d files and maybe ways they grade the colours but I constantly see some clips which shows quite poor management of the magenta. 

I am going to try out different temperature Lee filters and see what happens.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Red Epic, Amphibico Rouge