• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Anybody found a solution to fit color filters on a Panasonic 7-14 and used it in a Nauticam dome?

Regards, Sascha

#2 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Have you considered the olympus 9-18 if that is a major concern for you?  The olympus accepts filters.

While, in general the 7-14 is considered better than the 9-18, the difference isn't huge.  Also, the 9-18 allows use of a port which accommodates other lens as well.

I would imagine rigging a filter on the 7-14 could easily degrade any advantage it has over the 9-18 to the point of making the 9-18 optically better.

#3 SMY

SMY

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

The advantage with the 7-14 is, that I can use the same 6" port as with the 12-35...

#4 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Ahhh, ok.  I haven't really looked at that lens.  It's quite expensive for a m43 lens.

Has anyone posted experiences or examples with that lens yet?

If you plan on doing any macro work, the 9-18 can be used in the same port as the excellent olympus 60mm macro.

#5 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I would first say that the difference between 114 degrees (7mm) and 100 degrees (9mm) is very large in U/W photography, I have used both lenses for some time.

Second if you are adding a color filter to the 7-14 zoom it would stand to reason that for the same results you would need to add it to the 9-18mm zoom and you would see no difference between the two using them the same way.

BEWARE, I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS but in the film days we added the filter to the rear of the lens  by cuting the filter the size of a dime. This is the hard part, put grease or rubber glue on the metal around the rear lens element then place the filter in place over the lens with twezzers and push to hold in place. If the filter falls off it could cause large problems, if you get glue or grease on the lens element big problem.

I have also used the 12-35 above and below water and it is a great lens. Be aware that rumors of a new (some time this year) like Olympus lens with even better image quality have been flooting around the net.

Phil Rudin

#6 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Phil, thanks for the heads up on the possible oly lens.

My point with regard to the color filter on the 7-14 vs the 9-18 was that if you have to rig it up on the 7-14 then you stand a good chance of smudging something or not lining it up straight.  Where as on the 9-18 it's a simple screw on filter so less chance for error in application.

Yes, filter will have same effect on each lens, assuming it's installed without any problems.

But, if you absolutely need the 7mm view, then that's what you go with.