• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have a 128GB Lexar 1000x which is super fast but also over $650 per card.  The speed of the card allowed my 5D3/1Dx to maintain 3fps when the buffer was full.  Then I read about the Komputerbay cards on Amazon, which were $180 each.  Now I always think that you get what you pay for and at almost 1/3 the price of competing brands, there had to be a catch.

Reading the comments, there were some issues with DOA and corruption, but the price point was right so I ordered 2.  Testing the cards in my USB3 reader, it could read @ 150+MB/s and write around 85MB/s, which suited my needs.  Now with the 5D3 been made a RAW video camera, it turns out to be the bargain CF card for 1000x memory.  It can handle sustained 85MB/s writing for at least 1 minute of RAW video.  Which makes it an ideal budget card for the 5D3. 

I've only had them for about a month and the cards haven't failed or corrupted any files yet.  I do think that the reliability and/or QC won't be up to the league of Sandisk or Lexar, but for bang for buck, nothing can beat the Komputerbay CF cards right now. 

Edit: I cannot recommend these cards at all.  They fail frequently and aren't reliable.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

yeah waiting for mine to arrive

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Opps spoke too soon....both cards have died. Will be sending it back for replacement.  But if there is a serious shoot, don't use these cards.   They are fine for non-essential work.

Apparently these are failed QC chipsets so the failure rate will be much higher than a normal one. It is annoying to lose an hour of clips with test. Ah well.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I had two 32GB SDHC cards from this brand supposed to be lifetime warranty On one dive on the 3 dive trip some months later the purchase the camera stopped working underwater I thought I had flooded it It was instead a write error the card died and never came back The other one I bought at the same time kept working and I now carry it around but am scared to actually try it When I wrote to return the card to the dealer (it was in warranty) I never got a reply back, with other cards like transcend I actually had a replacement send Summary when it comes to memory don't go cheap

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog