Photo
- - - - -

Nikon D600 or D800 for video (or maybe Canon 5DmkIII) ??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kazb

kazb

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi everyone.

My dive byddy is moving into DSLR video for diving and his question is what to get ?

He has been thinking about the Nikon D600, the D800 or maybe the 5DmkIII.

He doesn't have any lenses so he is starting from scratch.

I am not a video guy so I ask you all.

What is the best camera of the 3 for underwater video ?

Thanks

Kenneth

Olympus OMD-EM1 still no housing :)

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

It's easier now:

http://tinyurl.com/bfcm8m5

:)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 kazb

kazb

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for the link so what you are saying is that you think that the Canon 5D MkIII with the custom firmware is the way to go ?

Anyone got other thoughts ?

Kenneth

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Evidently that's what is happening right now with those who has followed the ML's progress. I already have a  5DMIII. So its a no brainer. Wait a week or two and see if the 4GB barrier limit could be breach and maybe someone could come up with a way to tap into the CF card I/O and record SSD instead. Faster and cheaper CF cards maybe. That's still speculation. Hey a few weeks ago we all thought getting RAW video was impossible with DSLR. Workflow is quite easy. A bit like timelapse footage processing.

I also like the Nikon D800 BTW. A top notch  DSLR for bill board size digital images. Even the clean HDMI with a Nano Flash to Pro Res is nowhere near what you get out of ML's EOS RAw. 

I am still uploading some of the newer ML's nightly builds. Those guys are some seriously clever people. Fearless too. Imagine if they could do the same for C100 or C300. Canon is surprisingly quite on the matter.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Sorry for the cryptic post but I thought you'd understand.

Is there any particular reason why your friend wants a full frame?  It's tougher to do macro, good corners for wide angle etc etc.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 kazb

kazb

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

I don't know if there is a special reason. I just think that he has seen all the nice videos made with cameras like these above water and then wants the same underwater.

Is there another way to do this - another camera / videocamera  you would suggest. I thought that these were the top of the pop.

Kenneth

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

Topside is much easier to shoot beautiful video with most cameras, but full frame is much more difficult to shoot underwater. I find the Nikon cameras have more noise compared to the Canons (with the exception of the D4, which has other video issues).

Depending on what he shoots, the D600 is a fine combo camera, but for video noise, it loses out to the Canon 6D. For video, the Canons have a bigger developmental base such as color profiles

It really depends on what he wants to shoot and how much he wants to spend.

Drew

#8 kazb

kazb

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

So you are saying that you wouldn't go for a full frame ?

He has been shooting larger video cameras before and had a short go a gopro, but now want to move on.

He can get great prices on Sea and sea housings so what would you do ?

Kenneth

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Again, without knowing what he wants to shoot and budget etc, it's almost impossible recommend any system.

If you do a search on shooting with S35 and full frame videos, there are plenty of things to think about.  It's not the same as shooting with even 2/3" sensors.  I think you'd do your friend a favor by asking him to post here himself with what he wants and also do a search in the forum on big sensor cameras. There are quite a few videos in the forum shot by the 5D3 and other full frame cameras.

Drew