RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World, the sciences

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi all,

is there anyone out there who is a contributor to the major agencies, for instance Getty and Ocean Footage?

One thing I've noticed between the two are the commission rates. Ocean Footage at 50% Getty at 30% for RM.

I know OF charges for set up where as Getty doesn't.

What I'm wondering is,  do people get more sales from Getty that justifies the lower rates? I don't want to sign away decent footage if it's exclusive and gets tied up with them but doesn't get sold.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

I'm with Getty and despite its flaws I wouldn't change, however others may have a completely contradictory opinion!  To be honest I just don't have a couple of months spare to change over (which it would almost certainly take me) and there is truth to the saying that the grass is always greener...

Cheers, Simon

#3 RestlessDeviant

RestlessDeviant

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have some stuff up on Ocean Stock.

They charge setup for every 100 mins uploaded with Ocean Stock.  So It pretty much comes on every payment you get, if you upload lots of footage.

I don't know if Getty required exclusive, but Ocean Stock does not, but then you get 30% not 50%

I'm in the same situation as Simon... The amount of work logging files online... I don't even look at other options, I can't bare to redo all that again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SensationDiveVideos

#4 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World, the sciences

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

What I'm really asking is that if anyone is with both these agencies and if they experience more sales with Getty for similar material.

Basically which one is best?

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#5 rramaley

rramaley

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Is "Ocean Stock" and "Ocean Footage" the same?  I can't seem to find any obvious links to "Ocean Stock" on the web.

#6 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

I have withdrawn all my work from stock libraries. The business - at the moment - is working on a race to the bottom whereby each competitor appears to be cutting fees in an effort to maintain market share. The business model does not work in the creator's favour. Here's why:-

1 x image sale at $1000 = $1000

Terms are 50% so agency make $500 and photographer gets $500

Now consider the 'secure market share' option:-

100 x image sales at $10 = $1000

Same terms so agency makes $500 and the photographers get $5

There is no incentive whatsoever for an agency to maintain fees as long as volume sales rise...

The best agent is yourself. Sell direct and sell high. If you have stock of clownfish images then maybe its time to shoot something else...if you have something unique and in need then cut out the agency, pick the phone up and negotiate the best terms for yourself.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stock footage