Photo
- - - - -

Which strobe for an Olympus EPL-1/PT-EP01?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 victoria2409

victoria2409

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Evening all,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to U/W photography - been diving with a Canon IXUS 70 plus housing since 2007 but have recently upgraded to an Oly EPL1 & Oly housing.  I'm on the look out for a decent strobe that I can hopefully pick up second hand.  Can anyone recommend one and the reasons why?  The vast majority of my diving is done in Scotland and most of my photography will be macro, however, nice to have the option of wider angle (especially for Scapa in August!).  Thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

Victoria

#2 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have an epl2 and use an Inon D2000 type 3 which works great.

Since you have an epl1, you'll obviously want an optical strobe.  If looking used, I'd look for any of the inons: D2000, S2000, Z240.

The Sttl of these strobe is known to work well with olympus PEN cameras.  The older sea&sea optical strobes seemed to be hit and miss with their version of optical sttl (forget what they called it).  From what I've read, they kind of finally got it right with the YS-110A.

but, if you can't find any used strobes, the newer sea&seas are supposed to be much better and essentially on par with the inons now.

I was recently on a trip with folks who had YS01 and YSD1.  They were using them with canon S95 and sony RX100 and were quite happy with them.

If buying new, I wouldn't hesitate on getting any of the inons or the newer sea&sea strobes.  Just a matter of budget vs features.

#3 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Second on the Inon D2000, S2000, or Z240 with fiber optic cable.

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Another vote for Inon from me.  I used a pair of S2000 when I had the same Olympus set up and was very happy with the results

Avoid the Olympus stobes in any case. I could not make the UFL2 work the way it is supposed to in rc mode and had no joy in getting them to sync in manual mode